Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556173 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1160 on: 23 June 2017, 16:54 »
It is 2017 you know  :whistle:

Your videoing in portrait  :tongue:

Do this sum:

Right-handed operative + iPhone 7 plus + female hands + iPhone in left hand + trigger action pressure washer in right hand + full snow foam lance on pressure washer + gravel driveway underfoot = ?

Answer:  Portrait videos.  :kiss:
« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 16:56 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1161 on: 23 June 2017, 17:28 »
Thanks all for the jet washer advice, Nilfisk on order. Dust storm and release of previously believed extinct species of moth (last seen alive before the war) expected Tuseday....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1162 on: 23 June 2017, 17:50 »
Thanks all for the jet washer advice, Nilfisk on order. Dust storm and release of previously believed extinct species of moth (last seen alive before the war) expected Tuseday....

Hurrah!  Two of the best detailing purchases you can make. :smiley:  Bring on the moth-fest!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1163 on: 23 June 2017, 17:51 »
Thanks Watts, Simon and SRGTD.  :smiley:

Watts, follow SRGTD's very good advice and get yourself a proper snowfoam lance to complement your impending pressure washer purchase  :wink:  Appying snow foam (and citrus pre wash) is on another level with a decent lance.  The Autobrite one is great, as is the CYC one. Both are made by Italian company PA and have very robust bottles, just different shapes. 

I have one of each.  The black one is the CYC one and the red to AB one. Apart from price (AB one is on offer), and bottle shape, the only difference between the two, is the CYC lance blades are horizontal so you spray up/down, and the AB blades are vertical so spray back/forth.

This is something I've been thinking about getting for a while, thanks for the links, is the Magifoam that comes with the AB one a good product do you know?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-pre-wash/snow-foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-snow-foam-lance-magifoam-500ml.html

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1164 on: 23 June 2017, 18:35 »
Thanks Watts, Simon and SRGTD.  :smiley:

Watts, follow SRGTD's very good advice and get yourself a proper snowfoam lance to complement your impending pressure washer purchase  :wink:  Appying snow foam (and citrus pre wash) is on another level with a decent lance.  The Autobrite one is great, as is the CYC one. Both are made by Italian company PA and have very robust bottles, just different shapes. 

I have one of each.  The black one is the CYC one and the red to AB one. Apart from price (AB one is on offer), and bottle shape, the only difference between the two, is the CYC lance blades are horizontal so you spray up/down, and the AB blades are vertical so spray back/forth.

This is something I've been thinking about getting for a while, thanks for the links, is the Magifoam that comes with the AB one a good product do you know?

I found it was very good; thick and clingy with a good long dwell time and it's ph neutral so won't strip any wax or sealant from your car. I'd didn't replace it with more Magifoam as I already had a 5 litre container of Valet Pro ph neutral snow foam which I also find to be very good, and it's cheaper than Magifoam.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1165 on: 23 June 2017, 18:55 »
Cheers for that SRGTD, think I'll give it a go and see how I get on with it........I'll also try to improve my "quote" posting skills  :whistle:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1166 on: 23 June 2017, 18:59 »

I've not ever used Magifoam, but I think it's quite well regarded. 

My preferred snow foams are ValetPro Advanced Neutral http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-pre-wash/valet-pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam/prod_1087.html

and, Bilt Hamber Auto Foam  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1165

Both are of a thinner consistency than some which I personally prefer as I find some of the thicker (shaving foam consistency) ones don't do much other than cling to the car.  The thinner foams, cling long enough but then run well off the paintwork carrying the grime with them. 

I would avoid Meguiars Hyper Wash which is not very effective. 
« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 19:01 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1167 on: 23 June 2017, 19:26 »

Hurrah!  Two of the best detailing purchases you can make. :smiley:  Bring on the moth-fest!

Not so fast! Argos withdrew from the deal, no idea why. Tried to get a C110 from the cleanstore and their website went down! Still, I'm committed now and will try again later.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1168 on: 23 June 2017, 19:33 »

Do this sum:

Right-handed operative + iPhone 7 plus + female hands + iPhone in left hand + trigger action pressure washer in right hand + full snow foam lance on pressure washer + gravel driveway underfoot = ?

Simple, you hold the phone in your left hand in landscape and when you want to start the video you press the volume button and then press it again to stop the video.  :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1169 on: 23 June 2017, 19:41 »

Do this sum:

Simple, you hold the phone in your left hand in landscape and when you want to start the video you press the volume button and then press it again to stop the video.  :whistle:

:rolleyes: 

I know the camera can be operated via the volume buttons, but with the protective case I currently have it's easier said than done.  Anyway most (maybe not you) get the gist with the vid I'm sure. It wasn't planned, just done spontaneously on a whim.  I wasn't going for Palme d'Or winning production.

Anything else? 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual