Author Topic: Possible new car, which one?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline simon20vt

• Here all the time
Re: Possible new car, which one?
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2011, 14:56 »
Insurance is well cheap over in England Jimp.. i paid £3700 last year on my 1.8T.. Renewed with a Leon diesel for £2200.. and the mini cooper S is 5 insurance groups higher but is £200 cheaper lol ??  Christ knows how other 20 year olds get it for so cheap..  :angry: :cry:

www.bell.co.uk

put yourself down as first driver, owner, fully comp, mom and dad as 2nd and 3rd, respectively... but make sure you get the quote on the internet on that site, then phone up with the quote reference number and do it over the phone.

dont use gocompare or any of that crap, the cheapest i had on there is £2300 on the 328i... i am in my second year with bell, and paid about £900 on the Golf... oh yeah, i don't use 12 month policy, i use 10 month bonus accelerator - 1 years no claims for 10 months of insurance  :smiley: so i suppose you could say that really if you apportion the cost to 12 months im paying about £1050-£1100

They don't go on insurance groups - they go on the number of claims made against the vehicle - so if loads of people claim on a 115bhp golf, and not many on 328i, the 328 will be cheaper to insure as it is seen lower risk... BHP/insurance group does make a difference when comparing cars that have had a similar number of claims against them.

Anyway, back to the O.P  :tongue:... BMW, Volvo or Toyota?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2011, 15:00 »
Insurance is well cheap over in England Jimp.. i paid £3700 last year on my 1.8T.. Renewed with a Leon diesel for £2200.. and the mini cooper S is 5 insurance groups higher but is £200 cheaper lol ??  Christ knows how other 20 year olds get it for so cheap..  :angry: :cry:

www.bell.co.uk

put yourself down as first driver, owner, fully comp, mom and dad as 2nd and 3rd, respectively... but make sure you get the quote on the internet on that site, then phone up with the quote reference number and do it over the phone.

dont use gocompare or any of that crap, the cheapest i had on there is £2300 on the 328i... i am in my second year with bell, and paid about £900 on the Golf... oh yeah, i don't use 12 month policy, i use 10 month bonus accelerator - 1 years no claims for 10 months of insurance  :smiley: so i suppose you could say that really if you apportion the cost to 12 months im paying about £1050-£1100

They don't go on insurance groups - they go on the number of claims made against the vehicle - so if loads of people claim on a 115bhp golf, and not many on 328i, the 328 will be cheaper to insure as it is seen lower risk... BHP/insurance group does make a difference when comparing cars that have had a similar number of claims against them.

Be careful with those policies, not many other companies will acknowledge the no claims :wink:

I'm also with Bell, and have been since I passed my test. They have been by far the cheapest company for me!

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2011, 15:03 »
As above most companies do not recognise 10months bonus accelorator policies no claims.. which means if bell totally bump up their prices and you go somewhere else you could find your no claims are useless.. Im with adrian flux and very happy  :smiley:

back to question in hand bmw will be your best bet most engines are bullet proof
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2011, 15:05 »
As said, be very careful with these 10 month things, very dodgy if Bell all of a sudden decided they are going to charge you loads.

I could get insured on an S3 or a twin turbo supra for around £100 less than my mk3 :shocked:

Dom, WHAT THE FACK ARE YOU DOING IN A MK3 STILL !!!!?

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2011, 15:14 »
I agree a lot of companies don't reconise the 10month policy being equal to a years NCB, got caught out with this years ago & have always gone for 12 month since then.

Offline simon20vt

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2011, 15:33 »

www.bell.co.uk

Be careful with those policies, not many other companies will acknowledge the no claims :wink:

I'm also with Bell, and have been since I passed my test. They have been by far the cheapest company for me!

thanks for the advice, 12 month policies work out slightly more expensive than if apportioning the 10 month one to 12 months, but i shall be considering this when i next renew now. i think anyone who use the same company as bell, (EUI ltd) i think it is will acknowledge the 10 month/1year NCB - such as Elephant and Admiral.

Think i am inclined towards the BMW as well for a bit of RWD fun, but the temptation of the Volvo pulling like a train in a straight line may be too good to refuse. I will be test driving the both of them anyway, i will let you know how i get on and what i opt to purchase in the end  :grin:

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2011, 16:18 »
Both will be cheap due their gas-guzzler status, but the Beemer is more likely to have been thrashed about as the C70 is not the sort of car a petrolhead would own. Expect bigger mileage, but if the service history is solid on it, it's likely to be the better value - more equipment and better looked after.

You'll look like you belong down at the yacht club though, and should be wearing Pringle jumpers, red trousers and Hush Puppies. BMW for me from that choice. And I hate BMWs...  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline simon20vt

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2011, 18:35 »
Both will be cheap due their gas-guzzler status, but the Beemer is more likely to have been thrashed about as the C70 is not the sort of car a petrolhead would own. Expect bigger mileage, but if the service history is solid on it, it's likely to be the better value - more equipment and better looked after.

You'll look like you belong down at the yacht club though, and should be wearing Pringle jumpers, red trousers and Hush Puppies. BMW for me from that choice. And I hate BMWs...  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Thats what i mean, I would like a C70 to be different, and T5 would be nice, but i cant really think of anything else around that sort of price thats quite a comfortable car, but not boring to drive at the same time - which the C70 might be, will probs end up with a BMW, trying to find a standard one with low number of owners and full service history  :smiley:

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2011, 18:46 »
Choice of new second hand car, I'd go for the Volvo, more understated, BMW's are for tossers.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2011, 19:03 »
I'd take the BMW or Volvo, more pushed 60% to volvo with that budget.

Also the 10month accelerator is only transferable between sister companies, ie admiral to churchill (same group) anything outside that will not see it as a valid 1year NCB.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2011, 20:55 by golf-sib »

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/