Author Topic: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results  (Read 29456 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results
« Reply #30 on: 22 February 2014, 17:48 »
One thing I would like to add for any potential DTUK customers who would be heading over there, south on the A692, from near the Metrocentre, it is all uphill, meaning it is all downhill on the way back. There is a fixed camera on the downhill stretch, on a bit of especially steep part that is a 30mph road. It is very difficult to stay under 30mph when approaching it - so be careful and don't get flashed!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2014, 18:00 »
Great write up! Happy to finally read a review from Mr Joe public giving an honest opinion.

It sounds like you rate the box, but I thought there would be a mind blowing difference but it doesn't sound like it. I think the TDI-tuning box seems more appealing to me, but wheel spinning at 60mph would make me sh*t bricks in the wet. Maybe adding the pedal box further down the line would be an option.

I bet smashing the R put a smile on your face  :laugh:

We created a file like you describe but the peak power was less and the rolling road graph looked like a hump back whale..

The feedback from Matt is greatly appreciated as I know how in touch he is with his car so reading this makes me feel proud if what I've achieved..

I'm yet to see any dyno feedback from anyone else on this engine?
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline mrluketee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2014, 18:42 »
Really respect MonkeyHangers unbiased opinion having read his thorough analysis of the GTD in different threads on different subjects. So this has pretty much sold it for me! Once my GTD has been run in I'll be purchasing a stage 2 box asap.

Great work Andrew!
Standard GTD 3dr

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2014, 18:47 »
Really respect MonkeyHangers unbiased opinion having read his thorough analysis of the GTD in different threads on different subjects. So this has pretty much sold it for me! Once my GTD has been run in I'll be purchasing a stage 2 box asap.

Great work Andrew!

Sold me too. Monkeyhanger...the new DTUK representative ha
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2014, 19:21 »
Completely unbiased....just the standard GTI forum discount.  :grin:

Yes I have over-analysed my GTD to bits when comparing it to my Scirocco and feeling a bit shortchanged on the performance and mpg front. At one point I was probably competing with Bill for word count on here.  :whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2014, 21:24 »
One thing I would like to add for any potential DTUK customers who would be heading over there, south on the A692, from near the Metrocentre, it is all uphill, meaning it is all downhill on the way back. There is a fixed camera on the downhill stretch, on a bit of especially steep part that is a 30mph road. It is very difficult to stay under 30mph when approaching it - so be careful and don't get flashed!
I drive that road daily on the way to wallsend. There imo is lots of camera warning signs and even a flashing speed sign road markings before it, has a run upto it after the corner with the chevrons on the road to show were it measures your speed so people should not really get flashed if paying attention. Its also very rare for that one to have film in. That road was far more fun when it was 60mph before they built emanual school there and dropped it to 30mph.
I would rather go back through tanfield village then drop down onto the fellside road for a bit fun on the twistys and abit of sprint on the straights on the way back. Then drop down either swalwell/A1 or whickham/dunston bank/askew road it's slightly less direct but far more fun. Actually I would go the back roads of causey arch to teamvalley but you would need to know the roads for that one.
Nice in depth review of the box.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 21:44 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mrluketee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2014, 21:41 »
Completely unbiased....just the standard GTI forum discount.  :grin:

Yes I have over-analysed my GTD to bits when comparing it to my Scirocco and feeling a bit shortchanged on the performance and mpg front. At one point I was probably competing with Bill for word count on here.  :whistle:

:grin: It's good for the rest of us, keep it up mate!
Standard GTD 3dr

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 23 February 2014, 10:42 »
Took the missus to work this morning. From a cold start, the boxed car is still as smooth as stock with linear response. Filled up on the way back so that I can see how the box affects mpg on a whole tank basis. The MFD looks to be reading somewhere between 15 and 20% optimistic, which is only to be expected, considering the car is putting in more fuel than it thinks it is, at any given press of the throttle pedal.

The MFD range counter doesn't seem fooled though - it appears to be linked to fuel tank contents rather than indicated mpg.

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 25 February 2014, 06:50 »
Sorry to sidetrack this thread slightly, but how do you know when your GTD is doing a regen? Also is it not good practice to turn off the engine whilst its doing one?
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 25 February 2014, 07:33 »
Sorry to sidetrack this thread slightly, but how do you know when your GTD is doing a regen? Also is it not good practice to turn off the engine whilst its doing one?

If you keep an eye on the oil temp while the car is in motion - if it's above 93C for more than a brief spell of hard acceleration then you'll be regenning. If the oil temp is 97-102C then the car is well into a full regen with all the conditions met to make it an effective one. You will notice that if you stop at some lights or at a roundabout then your idling will be up from 800rpm to around a thousand. You might get a whiff of a burning smell if you're stuck in traffic while a regen is going on. If your journey comes to an end and you're in the 97C+ temperature range, then your fan will be kicking in when you switch the engine off, for a good 5 mins or so to cool things down.