Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654199 times)

Offline Starfox

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2670 on: 23 June 2015, 11:18 »
4th Service on my MK6 GTD (first for me since purchasing the car) and found out both rear shocks were leaking oil so that was an expensive purchase...

Considering a remap now that I have owned it a year...would love to try Carbon Chip Tuning but I live in NI so I guess that is not possible.  There is a revo garage here but not convinced with it...
2011 MK6 GTD 5dr Carbon Grey, 18" Charleston, Xenons, ACC, RNS 510, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Sensors, Winter Pack
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/645595.html

Offline Medic1281

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2671 on: 23 June 2015, 12:59 »
Get the flash module from carbon, it's £100 more expensive than them doing it but it does mean you can take it off any time you like. I bought one last week and am very happy with it.
2013 Audi Q5, 3.0tdi Quattro. Carbonchip remap. Black.

Offline Jonny_D_1987

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2672 on: 26 June 2015, 20:42 »
Just found out that after 3 years and 27000 miles that VW have not changed my fuel filter (2.0 GT TDI) in any of my last 3 services, for each service, fuel filter is ticked No, surely this should be done every year ?

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2673 on: 26 June 2015, 21:49 »
What have I done with my GTD today?

Went on a road trip with the other half and the car decided to go into limp mode with the flashing glow plug light (engine management warning) 300 miles from home. Turned out to be EGR valve failure.

We ended up having to call the AA, book a night's accommodation last minute to get it fixed the next day when we really needed to get back home to see my mum who's in hospital. The whole job took 5.5 hours and costed £811, £450 for a genuine OEM EGR valve and the rest was labour. Nightmare.
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2674 on: 26 June 2015, 22:40 »
Just found out that after 3 years and 27000 miles that VW have not changed my fuel filter (2.0 GT TDI) in any of my last 3 services, for each service, fuel filter is ticked No, surely this should be done every year ?

According to my service book, my fuel filter wasn't replaced at any of the first 3 services under the time and distance servicing regime. I've just had the 4 year service done, which was a major service, and the fuel filter was replaced.

Seems that replacement of the fuel filter at early services may be influenced by the type / quality of diesel available; outlined on page 11 in my Service Schedule booklet under 'Additional Work'.

VW website states that the diesel fuel filter is checked at 'the recommended age and mileage limit', whatever that is! It also states that replacement is included under a major service; see link below. I always understood that under the time and distance service regime, services alternate between minor and major; first service at 1 year/10k miles minor, second service at 2 years / 20k miles major and so on, so not sure why mine didn't get a new fuel filter as part of the major service at 2 years, but non-replacement is consistent with your service record.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/diesel-fuel-filter-replacement#details

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jonny_D_1987

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2675 on: 27 June 2015, 11:58 »

According to my service book, my fuel filter wasn't replaced at any of the first 3 services under the time and distance servicing regime. I've just had the 4 year service done, which was a major service, and the fuel filter was replaced.

Seems that replacement of the fuel filter at early services may be influenced by the type / quality of diesel available; outlined on page 11 in my Service Schedule booklet under 'Additional Work'.

VW website states that the diesel fuel filter is checked at 'the recommended age and mileage limit', whatever that is! It also states that replacement is included under a major service; see link below. I always understood that under the time and distance service regime, services alternate between minor and major; first service at 1 year/10k miles minor, second service at 2 years / 20k miles major and so on, so not sure why mine didn't get a new fuel filter as part of the major service at 2 years, but non-replacement is consistent with your service record.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/diesel-fuel-filter-replacement#details

Ahhh, so basically they visually check it, and if it looks fine they just leave it? Now i understand how they can offer 3 years servicing for £99 haha A friend of mine is a mechanic, I think I will get him to change it anyway, sure it wont do any harm. I always thought the 3 year service was a major one.

Thanks for your reply :)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2676 on: 27 June 2015, 20:58 »
took it to get valued against a 64plate T5 Transporter  :shocked:  :angry:   :cry:

Looks like I will be buying an older T5 and keeping the G6 as well  :cool:

Offline Mickmk6

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7.5 PP 3Door Manual - Indium Grey
« Reply #2677 on: 28 June 2015, 00:29 »
Gave it a new lease of life with APR stage 1. Spent the rest of the day thinking why on earth it's taken a year to do this  :laugh:

Online Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2678 on: 28 June 2015, 12:01 »
I take it you are impressed with the apr map then?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Mickmk6

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7.5 PP 3Door Manual - Indium Grey
« Reply #2679 on: 29 June 2015, 10:55 »
I take it you are impressed with the apr map then?

Yeh wasn't expecting to notice the difference as much as I have. It's woken the car up.