Author Topic: New car (Double Digit %) discounts - are they a thing of the past?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
I do wonder how long some of the bigger retailers who work on "low margin mass sales" can continue without the inevitable job cuts if this carries on much longer. Something has to give....

From what I hear this is going to last till at least Q3 next year.

Now working for Select Car Leasing I can see delivery times across all the manufacturers.......

So are other manufacturers delivery times similar to VW’s Lee?

I will put together something tomorrow but quite simply if you want any Mercedes, BMW, Audi or VW you are ordering now for next Summer.

Landrover 9-12 months on everything
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
I do wonder how long some of the bigger retailers who work on "low margin mass sales" can continue without the inevitable job cuts if this carries on much longer. Something has to give....

Now working for Select Car Leasing I can see delivery times across all the manufacturers.......

I will put together something tomorrow but quite simply if you want any Mercedes, BMW, Audi or VW you are ordering now for next Summer.

Then the car market will die as people will just keep what they have, including me

MK7 GTi

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Seems to me that the golden age of 'cheap' anything and mass consumerism is over.  It was nice while it lasted...
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Stretts

• Not said much yet
We ordered a Manual GTI mid September. Dealer quoted end of May next year ish!!!!!
Looks like I will be putting some more miles on my MK8 etsi R line
2018 white 3 door Gti, Seville wheels 90% tinted glass. Now sold.
2020 Mk 8 etsi R Line. Now sold.
2024 Manual White GTI  Adelaide's, winter pack & camera.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
I can't remember if the DTD VW supplier (I won't name them!) will honour your discounted price if it changes between order and delivery... but with a 12 month wait you certainly will be at the mercy of list price increasing, which could take you into luxury car tax...so I'd be careful about sailing too close to the evil 40k limit.

its my first time buying through DTD but as I understand it after that intro they are sort of out of it and the deal is directly between the dealer and the buyer. So far I've had no indication that the deal/terms are not being kept to. I was originally told to expect September, so even though my last update (6th Sept) was an unconfirmed BW 47 and that has presumably slipped, I cant see how they could back out of the deal.

totally agree with the 40k thing, my sub 40k spec would have been tripped now anyway with the first set of price adjustments let alone ones still to come. Although the other thread on this topic  suggests some dealers might give some form of accommodation for that happening.

if only they had offered the CS45 in Dolphin - I'd probably have got that and it might have taken priority AND held its value more into the future due to what will become an even more limited run than they might have thought for very minor differences vs the standard (exhaust aside)
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline phope

• I live here
The important parts of the sale contract between DTD's dealer and you are shown here - the dealer does have the right to cancel the sale contract if they are unable to fulfil your order (as do you) within 3 months of the original estimated delivery date - clearly the delivery timescales are outwith their control due to supply chain issues/factory downtime

« Last Edit: 22 October 2021, 11:28 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
if only they had offered the CS45 in Dolphin - I'd probably have got that and it might have taken priority AND held its value more into the future due to what will become an even more limited run than they might have thought for very minor differences vs the standard (exhaust aside)

Not the topic here, however, I too would have loved the dolphin grey. When the first brochure to include the 45 was issued I’m certain it said something like “metallic paint option not available in all regions” and the dealer told me it was dolphin grey, but not available in the uk. It looked great.

Since then the brochures have changed to say that the car is moonstone, but I’m not convinced. It looks metallic to me. I do like the moonstone grey, but so so common on so many cars now.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline willni

• I live here

Then the car market will die as people will just keep what they have, including me

Was speaking to a salesman in JLR the other week, it's not a matter of people keeping what they have it's do you want this Defender? No, looks at a list of 50 people ok it's now sold.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi or VW can get units out quicker because there's less specification on them requiring less semi-conductors, JLR tend to have more so more semi-conductors means longer wait.

What we will 100% be seeing is a repeat of the mk7R 'PCP' spec cars across the board now, as people will not want to wait for a 360 degree camera etc that adds 3 months onto the build time, so the plainest versions will be sold.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
The car market is just plain weird at the moment so it’s probably not worth speculating too much. There are too many side issues to make an informed guess.

Will has a point though. With huge order backlogs it would make sense for manufacturers to stop taking new car orders and drip feed lower spec cars to dealers who would have a waiting list of prospective purchasers/leasers. This would keep all factories and dealerships ticking over in the short to medium term.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
I went into a dealer today. One new car in the showroom. Just one. Wanted to make an offer for mine but I remained strong!  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.