Author Topic: New car (Double Digit %) discounts - are they a thing of the past?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
On line brokers appear to be offering similar discounts to what they were offering a year ago.

I received one of the generic emails from Drive the Deal today and yes, they’re still offering discounts. Lead times are likely to be long though, although unlikely to be any longer than they are if ordering a new factory build car direct through a dealer rather than a broker.

Here are the VW’s that were listed in the email that give an idea of the discounts currently available; 15% off a Golf GTI and GTI Clubsport and 14.5% off a Golf R.

Did a quote on car wow last week last year 14% same dealer same car this year 0.2% so I would say that's a no.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
On line brokers appear to be offering similar discounts to what they were offering a year ago.

I received one of the generic emails from Drive the Deal today and yes, they’re still offering discounts. Lead times are likely to be long though, although unlikely to be any longer than they are if ordering a new factory build car direct through a dealer rather than a broker.

Here are the VW’s that were listed in the email that give an idea of the discounts currently available; 15% off a Golf GTI and GTI Clubsport and 14.5% off a Golf R.

Did a quote on car wow last week last year 14% same dealer same car this year 0.2% so I would say that's a no.

Funnily enough, did the same with CW yesterday and got 85 quid off an A3 which is 0.2%. Coast2Coast and DTD seem to still be offering sizeable discounts. I always found CW discounts to be less than others.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
I'd also read sometime ago, that post "chipgate" the general consensus is that the manufactures won't go back to the same business model they had before. They are already prioritizing models that net them the most margin, and apparently (if you believe what you read on line), that will continue, and by "artificially" limiting supply they can keep the prices inflated.

Not sure how this will work personally, because for every person that can afford a €40-50,000 plus car, there's probably 10 or more that can't or won't spend that amount of money on a new car. So if (for instance), VW make 100,000 cars a month, and they decide to produce only the expensive or high margin ones, then how many will they sell a month, 20,000-30,000 ?? Even with increased pricing and margins, can that make up the shortfall of 70,000 lower priced and margin cars a month that they won't be producing ?   

Personally I think think it will still be about volume and an even spread of upper tier though middle to lower tier models, but all with increased delivery times to make the market aggressive to keep discount levels offered to an absolute minimum. That's provided all manufactures do the same though. If one or more rivals think they can steal market share by under cutting the big German Marques though aggressive pricing strategies, then BMW, VAG, Mercedes etc. would surely have to follow suit ?
« Last Edit: 19 October 2021, 10:37 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Interesting video at the link below regarding reduced volume of new car production and supply, and manufacturers profits. Link was originally posted by forum member @Yusee on the mk7 forum board;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=9ZlBNS4OmaI
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Very interesting and slightly depressing at the same time.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
Spoke to the salesman at my dealer in Nottingham, an he says at the moment they are not taking orders for new cars

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
I do wonder how long some of the bigger retailers who work on "low margin mass sales" can continue without the inevitable job cuts if this carries on much longer. Something has to give....
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
I do wonder how long some of the bigger retailers who work on "low margin mass sales" can continue without the inevitable job cuts if this carries on much longer. Something has to give....

From what I hear this is going to last till at least Q3 next year.

Now working for Select Car Leasing I can see delivery times across all the manufacturers.......
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here

From what I hear this is going to last till at least Q3 next year.

Now working for Select Car Leasing I can see delivery times across all the manufacturers.......

So are other manufacturers delivery times similar to VW’s Lee?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Really interesting videos and posts, when I drive past dealers and see so few cars on the forecourt it has got me wondering. I've read before that part of the reason that servicing was so high at main dealers was because their margins were so low. add in the fact that there are fewer cars to sell then a couple of things could happen.

1. Servicing prices increase to cover the dealership overheads
2. New and Used car prices increase further and less discount

but ultimatley

3. Some dealers (most of which are franchised) may have to close their doors as it no longer becomes viable.

I certainly agree that car supermarkets may become a thing of the past their business model has always historically been stack them high and sell them cheap if the supply isn't there and the prices increase to dealership levels where would you rather buy from a dealer and get warranty etc or a supermarket where you get balance of warranty at most?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver