Author Topic: New car (Double Digit %) discounts - are they a thing of the past?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Any thoughts on this point, has anyone ordered a new car in the last month with a significant discount? Have seen a couple of articles recently suggestion limiting supply is more strategic than a true shortage of electronic components. Appreciate there will always be conspiracy theories out there and only time will tell but interested to hear your view.

I did check back through posts to see if this topic has been raised.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
My sister went to VW to look at swapping her T-Roc for a GTI, other than the finance company deposit contribution (£1250) there was absolutely no discount on offer and a very optimistic 40 week delivery quote.

It was the same on the demo GTI she drove, that had a few k miles on and was actually more expensive than the new one they quoted and with zero discounts even tho they wanted her (very good condition) T-Roc to sell on their forecourt.

I posted this video before….

https://youtu.be/9ZlBNS4OmaI

It’s worth a watch.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Strategic? No way. My dealer has no new stock and little to offer incoming. The knock on from that is that he has little used stock, most of which has been hanging around for a while. It’s the same story for all makes, so, unless dealers have developed a Lemming mindset, they are, indeed, victims of the chip shortage.

Given that situation, discounts seem unlikely, but, as ever, will be down to the individual transaction.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Strategic? No way. My dealer has no new stock and little to offer incoming. The knock on from that is that he has little used stock, most of which has been hanging around for a while. It’s the same story for all makes, so, unless dealers have developed a Lemming mindset, they are, indeed, victims of the chip shortage.

Given that situation, discounts seem unlikely, but, as ever, will be down to the individual transaction.

Sorry, should have been clearer, VW / car manufacturers strategy, not dealership strategy. I am sure the dealerships are feeling the pain at the moment!
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
On line brokers appear to be offering similar discounts to what they were offering a year ago.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
On line brokers appear to be offering similar discounts to what they were offering a year ago.

I received one of the generic emails from Drive the Deal today and yes, they’re still offering discounts. Lead times are likely to be long though, although unlikely to be any longer than they are if ordering a new factory build car direct through a dealer rather than a broker.

Here are the VW’s that were listed in the email that give an idea of the discounts currently available; 15% off a Golf GTI and GTI Clubsport and 14.5% off a Golf R.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
It's interesting that DTD are still offering these discounts.  I have been kicking myself for ordering my Clubby on a lease (rather than a PCP) back in June.

Since then all I've heard is that new cars are going to get more expensive and present longer waits.

If I can order a new Clubby in 18 months time it should hopefully arrive as my current one goes back and, from the prices that DTD are quoting, it may not cost much more.   I'd be happy with that.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline king monkey

• I live here
The Inchape group now have a zero discount policy on new cars as there’s a 40% reduction of new cars available.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
The squeeze apparently is on the trade price to the dealers - the OEM's are increasing their margins.

At the same time the rumour is that they are restricting supply.

Reduced margin + long waits (increased customer demand) = no discounts...

DTD is still offering the discounts (good ones at that!), but I wonder for how much longer.

I can't remember if the DTD VW supplier (I won't name them!) will honour your discounted price if it changes between order and delivery... but with a 12 month wait you certainly will be at the mercy of list price increasing, which could take you into luxury car tax...so I'd be careful about sailing too close to the evil 40k limit.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
The squeeze apparently is on the trade price to the dealers - the OEM's are increasing their margins.

At the same time the rumour is that they are restricting supply.

Reduced margin + long waits (increased customer demand) = no discounts...

DTD is still offering the discounts (good ones at that!), but I wonder for how much longer.

I can't remember if the DTD VW supplier (I won't name them!) will honour your discounted price if it changes between order and delivery... but with a 12 month wait you certainly will be at the mercy of list price increasing, which could take you into luxury car tax...so I'd be careful about sailing too close to the evil 40k limit.

Presumably on line brokers will have to keep 'some' discount otherwise they will cease to exist?!