Author Topic: What's going on with used car prices  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: What's going on with used car prices
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2021, 09:51 »
If this persists well into 2022 its going to cause me an issue as around May have to choose my next lease or pass and go solo, or buy my current lease, which is what planned to do, and in a normal world that exchange is perfectly amicable, the lease company get more than auction and i get a car know and at competitive price.

Lease company is going to do well, mileage will be about 9000 less than expected due to Covid and they likely going to ask a ton more for it.

If its silly money will definitely be passing and may have just go for a much older car that miss the clamour due to age, till some normality returns.

Could lease again, but with the price increases, the extended lead times and the now borderline onerous BIK, its not my favoured option.

It might seem great that get back nearly what paid for a car 3 years on, but you only win if not replacing or going old enough to avoid the clamour,
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2021, 19:54 »
If this persists well into 2022 its going to cause me an issue as around May have to choose my next lease or pass and go solo, or buy my current lease, which is what planned to do, and in a normal world that exchange is perfectly amicable, the lease company get more than auction and i get a car know and at competitive price.

Lease company is going to do well, mileage will be about 9000 less than expected due to Covid and they likely going to ask a ton more for it.

If its silly money will definitely be passing and may have just go for a much older car that miss the clamour due to age, till some normality returns.

Could lease again, but with the price increases, the extended lead times and the now borderline onerous BIK, its not my favoured option.

It might seem great that get back nearly what paid for a car 3 years on, but you only win if not replacing or going old enough to avoid the clamour,

Since you mention BiK, I presume it’s company?

I’m currently on company car too and have also opted out, quite lucky tho as we have a decent opt out cash allowance scheme which I’ve put towards funding my 45 on order.

Anyway, we use LEX, in “normal” times, a few colleagues have purchased their company cars at the end of the lease, they paid “bottom book value” for them and LEX never even checked the condition (mileage is recorded through MOTs and services obviously). Maybe worth the question to the lease company, although, I have heard the the “book” value (or WeBuyAnyCar that’s used nowadays) has increased too.

That being said, according to others at work, LEX prices haven’t gone up much for new cars and depending on your company’s agreement, LEX (in our case) are very willing to let the be existing car roll on until the new one arrives.

The boring focus I’m driving is over 4 years and out of contract, but it’s been agreed that I can use it until my new car arrives, at which time the focus will return to LEX.

In case you’re wondering, I’m driving the focus because my GTD (that I chose) was written off following an accident  :embarrassed: and the focus was spare after someone had left.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 24 September 2021, 20:09 »
One owner ten miles?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 24 September 2021, 20:54 »
One owner ten miles?

Probably dealer registered with delivery miles. I do think it looks good in white.

It’s a shame VW decided to use an image of a standard GTI on the infotainment screen rather than a CS45.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 25 September 2021, 14:14 »
Bought wife a 68plate Fiesta two weeks ago from a Ford dealer, costing £9800. Just looked on We Buy Any Car--offering £10500---Bonus!