Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48831 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #240 on: 17 February 2021, 17:21 »
As far as I could tell from anything I’d read there was no real difference in interior spec between GTI and Clubby, seat materials excepted.
I did read in the blurb that the CS had a GTI ‘welcome light’ but mine just has a golf ball like a normal Golf (I’m assuming the latter has this) if it was referring the the under mirror light.

I’ve no idea what the ‘Ring mode actually consists of but I’d expect a fair degree of electronic trickery involving tightened suspension but damping being set to be quickly reactive to allow absorption of track kerbs but firmed up enough to eliminate any wallow when steering lock is applied allowing full power through bends, keeping as much tyre contact and weight loading across both sides of the axles as even as possible for maximum traction.
Then again I don’t have the first idea about suspension dynamics when it comes to race tracks.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #241 on: 17 February 2021, 18:20 »
Dan Prosser (Pistonheads). Clubby Vs. Type R, 3 guesses as to which one he prefers 😂

https://youtu.be/uprnaqIwCrk

Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #242 on: 17 February 2021, 19:45 »
That’s more like what we’d expect from PH. Much better.
Confirms that the car does have DCC and optioned 19’s rather than retro fitted Adelaides like on the white press car. That written PH article threw up more questions than it answered.
Tells us a bit more about the ‘Ring mode too in that it’s very suitable for British roads (explains why so much car manufacturers spend so much time doing ‘Ring laps) due to its compliance.
No surprises on the outcome but a good watch and informative to boot.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #243 on: 17 February 2021, 20:14 »
Loads of car makers have claimed to have specially adapted suspension for UK roads though. They don't seem to shout about the ring being used to do it though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #244 on: 17 February 2021, 20:52 »
I’d hope on road developments were done all over the world still, from desert to arctic and everywhere in between, but most ‘spy’ snapshots tend to be captured at the ‘Ring these days.
Obviously the high speed development done on track in Germany is far removed from 40 mph on the Bracknell bypass dodging the potholes and manhole covers but at least with DCC and microprocessors we can have suspension that’s tuned for most conditions at the flick of an index finger.
A screen navigator and button presser’s dream!

Personally I like to just get in and drive and have extremely specific requirements from a car. The less settings the better. But if it means I don’t have to drag out a VCDS cable to mess about with long codes and instead can set up a car how I want it from the off using officially sanctioned menus then it’s all good.

When I look at my colleague’s mk5 GTI I love the simplicity and solidity of that car.
I was having that very discussion with another colleague who was lamenting the complexity and build quality of modern BMWs compared to an old 5 series he has amongst his collection of cars.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #245 on: 17 February 2021, 21:23 »
Just try Google with "suspension tuned for UK roads" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Some of the results are what people might rate as desirable cars, some of them are sh1tboxes. Its really common though!

I don't think any of them use clever electronics though. I'd just trap my finger in the springs trying to push one of those 🤣
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #246 on: 17 February 2021, 23:29 »
Dan Prosser (Pistonheads). Clubby Vs. Type R, 3 guesses as to which one he prefers 😂

The honda’s the one to buy... if you do most of your driving on deserted b roads.

Interesting you can buy it without the ridiculous spoiler. It’s possible some normal people will now consider buying one
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Colm

• Just got here
« Reply #247 on: 17 February 2021, 23:48 »

This is a very interesting video. New member here, I'm a mk4 Focus ST 2.3 owner since 2019,  and considering a switch to a Clubsport with 18s and DCC, in order to maximise pliancy over bumpy surfaces.

The section where Dan describes using individual mode with the dampers in their softest setting and it mopping up bumps with ease sounds perfect for an everyday car.

The DSG only option, coming from a really sweet manual in the ST, is a turn off for me however. That said, if the ride is as pliant as described, I might forgo manual for the first time in 26 years of car ownership!

Has anyone here driven a Clubsport with DCC and 18s over very bumpy roads, if so, how did you find it?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #248 on: 18 February 2021, 07:46 »
I don't think dcc running in the softest setting is anything new for performance golf owners.

Everyone i know at work with mk7 gtd, gti or R seem to permanently run their cars in comfort mode.

I never did on my mk7 that had dcc. I'm only interested again in dcc because on the mk8 it's primary function is less about how hard or soft the ride is and now more about per wheel dynamic stability on all four corners in real time. This is the key feature of the mk8.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #249 on: 18 February 2021, 08:47 »
I should have added, the Mk8 clubby with DCC on 18's you definitely will not find a harsh ride. Absolutely 100% certain of that - unless you dial up the DCC to its hardest setting when you will feel every pimple in the road.

I don't think coming from a ST you will find it hard or unbearable at all - it will be a perfectly usable daily.

I'd even go as far as to say fitting 19's shouldn't upset it either, providing you have DCC.

On a clubby you really do want DCC anyway.

Probably your biggest question mark though may be the DSG. I've had only manual cars for 35 years and over millions of miles. Its slightly different....

What I will say though is that for most of your driving miles its neither a problem or a negative - if anything only a positive because boring driving is boring driving.

Sometimes it will make decisions you wouldn't have done with a manual, but just go with the flow and don't let it annoy you.

You definitely will love the seamless acceleration though - you hear the engine revving and instantly shifting but you feel no jerky changes, just a smooth roar as you whizz along. That's where DSG is awesome and there is nothing else quite like it.