Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48832 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #120 on: 27 January 2021, 15:34 »
A 240hp GT?!

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #121 on: 27 January 2021, 15:41 »
Ref Snoopy's post on previous page... 

The GTI has pretty much always had 2 tiers. 8v & 16v MKIIs for example.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2021, 20:14 by mike roberts »
'18 245PP DSG

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #122 on: 27 January 2021, 15:45 »
I was picking up on Snoopy's previous post.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #123 on: 27 January 2021, 16:55 »
Things can be left as they for me. A GTi doesn't need 300bhp. That's for the enthusiasts, not the typical GTi driver that has no intention of ever taking it anywhere near a track.

I'd bet the majority of GTi buyers don't visit forums such as this one, and most won't know exactly how fast it is to 60mph. They'll have bought/leased it simply because it's a GTi and that's something with heritage and a reputation. It makes no commercial sense to remove the GTi as one of VW's most renowned cars from the mainstream market and aim it at enthusiasts instead. 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #124 on: 27 January 2021, 17:17 »
Things can be left as they for me. A GTi doesn't need 300bhp. That's for the enthusiasts, not the typical GTi driver that has no intention of ever taking it anywhere near a track.

I'd bet the majority of GTi buyers don't visit forums such as this one, and most won't know exactly how fast it is to 60mph. They'll have bought/leased it simply because it's a GTi and that's something with heritage and a reputation. It makes no commercial sense to remove the GTi as one of VW's most renowned cars from the mainstream market and aim it at enthusiasts instead. 🤷‍♂️

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Half the reason there’s always been such a cult following of GTI’s is that they’re ‘good enough’ out of the box for Joe (or Jo) Average and they are so easy to subtly modify for a bit extra in any direction one wishes which brings in a whole different spectrum of owners that want a little more but don’t want Type R or Megane Trophy levels.

The R is something different altogether and lightweight never a consideration.
Ve haf 4WD so we just throw more power at it ja?

And it’s the R that needs to build heritage now as the GTI looks like it’s down a blind alley as a FWD ICE car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 27 January 2021, 18:56 »
I think low weight is important in itself, not just power to weight.

Just came across this Andrew Frankel gem-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/how-create-ideal-driver’s-car

Sorry, the link I posted doesn’t work. Worth looking it up though- just google “ how to create the ideal drivers car “- not least because the golf gti gets a mention.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #126 on: 27 January 2021, 18:57 »

I'd agree too but for one thing, I much prefer the power delivery of my TCR. My PP was great and plenty fast enough however it was always disappointing when you got it wound up, just as it was getting exciting the power dropped off where the TCR keeps going. In fairness I don't get the opportunity to do that often but that's what made it worse, when the chance came the PP just didn't hit the mark.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #127 on: 27 January 2021, 19:16 »
I think low weight is important in itself, not just power to weight.

Just came across this Andrew Frankel gem-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/how-create-ideal-driver’s-car

Sorry, the link I posted doesn’t work. Worth looking it up though- just google “ how to create the ideal drivers car “- not least because the golf gti gets a mention.

Forum doesn't like the apostrophe in the Autocar link, this should work:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/how-create-ideal-driver%E2%80%99s-car
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #128 on: 27 January 2021, 19:25 »
That article lol.... it does contain many of the widely respected "drivers cars" (complete with their faults and shortcomings that means I'd totally not want to own any of them) and then totally counter to everything he says about what makes it, chucks in a Golf GTI.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #129 on: 27 January 2021, 19:56 »
That article lol.... it does contain many of the widely respected "drivers cars" (complete with their faults and shortcomings that means I'd totally not want to own any of them) and then totally counter to everything he says about what makes it, chucks in a Golf GTI.

Well all cars have shortcomings - in fact his very first point is no 2 people will agree on the best. I think that’s one of the main points of the piece -he talks about several things that don’t get mentioned in the context of “ driver’s cars”- like accessibility, practicality, visibility, ride- and obviously low weight. All of these things make a car enjoyable to drive, not just how much power and grip it has.
A very thought provoking piece imo.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.