Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48908 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #90 on: 26 January 2021, 06:20 »
So, these are weights from Evo- basic spec, manual, with fluids-
Mk7 gti 1276
Ed40 - 1300
Mk7.5 gti- 1289
7.5 gti P- 1312

Add a 75kg driver to these numbers, still makes the mk8 sound heavy. I think I read in Evo’s review of the gti that it was only 2kg heavier than the mk7. Sounds like a lot more than that to me!

That’s really interesting. Thanks for posting. What surprises me most is the weight of the CS. Thought it was supposed to be lightweight.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #91 on: 26 January 2021, 06:39 »
Mk7 gti 1276
Ed40 - 1300
Mk7.5 gti- 1289
7.5 gti P- 1312

Add a 75kg driver to these numbers, still makes the mk8 sound heavy. I think I read in Evo’s review of the gti that it was only 2kg heavier than the mk7. Sounds like a lot more than that to me!

That’s really interesting. Thanks for posting. What surprises me most is the weight of the CS. Thought it was supposed to be lightweight.

There were no weight savings on the ED40 apart from the standard 18 wheels, which are forged and weigh around 7.5 kg each, ahh perhaps the removal of the ambient lighting saved a few grams  :whistle:

The reason the ED40 is heavier than the standard GTIs is the weight of the performance pack differential and brakes. The differential does not replace the open differential in the gearbox but is an add on haldex type unit and is quite heavy.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 26 January 2021, 07:27 »
Mk7 gti 1276
Ed40 - 1300
Mk7.5 gti- 1289
7.5 gti P- 1312

There were no weight savings on the ED40 apart from the standard 18 wheels, which are forged and weigh around 7.5 kg each, ahh perhaps the removal of the ambient lighting saved a few grams  :whistle:

The reason the ED40 is heavier than the standard GTIs is the weight of the performance pack differential and brakes. The differential does not replace the open differential in the gearbox but is an add on haldex type unit and is quite heavy.

One thing the New Performance brakes is 1,2 kg Lighter than the standard 340mm!!. Thats is pretty crazy ;)...
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #93 on: 26 January 2021, 07:48 »
Mk7 gti 1276
Ed40 - 1300
Mk7.5 gti- 1289
7.5 gti P- 1312

Well I didn’t know that. Thanks! I’m sure I’ve heard people talk about the Mk7 CS being a lightweight car which adds to the appeal of it. Suppose it makes sense really as it’s a great car, but not some stripped out track special.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #94 on: 26 January 2021, 08:53 »
The lightweight one was the Css... With the AC delete for extra hummingbird feather effect.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #95 on: 26 January 2021, 09:18 »
MK8 Clubsport Vs New Civic Type R written review.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/vw-golf-gti-clubsport-vs-honda-civic-type-r

No prices for guessing which one he prefers 🙄 but it seems like he really likes the Clubby too.

Quoted weight for the Clubsport is 1461- I assume this is with driver and fluids. It does seem a lot heavier than the mk7 performance golfs, though most reports say it's only marginally heavier than the outgoing mk7.
A 5dr manual mk7 GTI Performance weights 1380, for example.
Can anyone shed any light on the quoted weights? Does anyone know a good source for comparing kerb weights?

Are we not comparing apples with oranges here given the DSG box in the Clubsport? I’ve not searched but I guess a more accurate comparison would be all cars with DSG (if available) given you can only get the Clubsport with that box.

Having said that, I’ve come from a land yacht A8 to my Golf so it was always going to feel as light as a feather!
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: 26 January 2021, 09:41 »
I think when you hear the name Clubsport you think of stripped back, race-inspired Porsches. I don't think VW has never used the name before they made the ED40/CS S. It's just marketing. Like the TCR that had nothing to do with the touring car race series apart from the terrible side decals!

I do think the Mk8 CS is what a GTI should be like. Decent power, decent-sounding and looking exhaust, beefy brakes, larger but not stupid spoiler. And with prices already from £32k, IMO I'm not sure why you would opt for a normal GTI. Just a shame about the 18" wheels but guess that's an easy fix. I'd like to see a Reflex Silver CS on 19" Prets...
« Last Edit: 26 January 2021, 10:11 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #97 on: 26 January 2021, 10:15 »
I think when you hear the name Clubsport you think of stripped back, race-inspired Porsches. I don't think VW has never used the name before they made the ED40/CS S. It's just marketing. Like the TCR that had nothing to do with the touring car race series apart from the terrible side decals!

I do think the Mk8 CS is what a GTI should be like. Decent power, decent-sounding and looking exhaust, beefy brakes, larger but not stupid spoiler. And with prices already from £32k, not sure why you would opt for a normal GTI. Just a shame about the 18" wheels but guess that's an easy fix. I'd like to see a Reflex Silver CS on 19" Prets...

Agree with that. It’s the same marketing stuff that leads to most BMW M cars having a competition badge on them. In reality, it usually means a ruined ride due to stiffer suspension and larger wheels and a big exhaust.

Regarding the wheels, yes the 18’s do look a little small (although they fill the arches better than the standard GTI in my opinion, might be the lower ride height?) but they do in theory give a better handling/ ride balance which suits what I use the car for. I’m also blessed with being the driver so I don’t have to look at them all the time!  :grin: :grin:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #98 on: 26 January 2021, 10:20 »
To be fair, they are growing on me now. Just think the CS would look great on some wheels that show off the brakes a bit more.

How are you finding it?

I'm loving this Reflex Silver one... £33k with 10 miles on!  :smiley:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #99 on: 26 January 2021, 10:26 »
To be fair, they are growing on me now. Just think the CS would look great on some wheels that show off the brakes a bit more.

How are you finding it?

I'm loving this Reflex Silver one... £33k with 10 miles on!  :smiley:

Very impressed so far. It’s more comfortable and quicker than I expected which is a plus. Starting to get used to the interior (which feels well built to me) and especially love the seats. I’ve started to open the car up a bit more and use sport mode which helps with the noise and feeling of speed. I’ll try and do a full write up before the weekend.

I was offered a metallic car, brand new for £32k or the white car I have for £31.5k ish (don’t have the exact number to hand) and both included the service pack. I did have to spend quite a while negotiating and my local dealer told me to snap their hand off as they were effectively losing money at that price.