Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48863 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #70 on: 20 January 2021, 16:59 »
Hi all,

New Clubsport written review by Top Gear.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk7/20-tsi-300-gti-clubsport-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Not sure why there’s been hardly any video reviews of this car when some people already have their cars. Maybe COVID related.

Good find.

Unusually for me I totally agree with just about everything said in that review.
Some things about the car I’ve not had chance to try yet and some things I never will, but overall that was spot on in my opinion.

One notable thing I thought good was that it was a vanilla spec car which meant proper bare bones testing of the car rather than a Christmas tree spec press dept car loaded with frippery.
Even down to the tester saying he’d go for 19’s and add MPS4S (which I’m in the middle of myself but debating going for Assy5’s instead, cost difference negligible but keen to try different things) for a the full effect.

Here’s another recently uploaded vid btw, expect more from the guy with the gloves in the coming days in daylight when he does performance testing etc
https://youtu.be/Cn6HLr6AS3Y
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #71 on: 20 January 2021, 17:19 »
Even down to the tester saying he’d go for 19’s and add MPS4S (which I’m in the middle of myself but debating going for Assy5’s instead, cost difference negligible but keen to try different things) for a the full effect.

The love for PS4's is fairly universal - I watched a Yaris GR vs Mini GP session with Joe Achillies and some other dude the other day. PS4's rated as the best road sport tyre you can fit...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 20 January 2021, 17:29 »
Volkswizard was raving about the GY Asymmetric 5's in his latest video. Just saying 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 20 January 2021, 17:32 »
I had MPS4S on my Ed40 and loved them (first time I’ve ever said anything other than “meh, they’re black amd round” about a tyre) but always open to having an alternative, I’m not exactly Chris Harris (more like his granny).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #74 on: 20 January 2021, 18:17 »
From the VW press release on the standard GTI:

The new Vehicle Dynamics Manager control system makes its debut in the Golf GTI, controlling the XDS® electronic differential lock, the VAQ electronically-controlled, torque-sensing, limited-slip differential that is now standard, and also the lateral dynamics of the optional DCC® adaptive damping system. Drivers can customize their setup using the standard driving mode selection feature and a more finely adjustable DCC system. Sharper driving dynamics guarantee an enhanced and unadulterated driving experience as the eighth Golf GTI handles extremely accurately, virtually eliminating understeer. 

Something I have noticed rumaging through the instruction book (which covers all performance Mk8's - GTE, GTD, GTI,Clubby and R) is that there is no mention of setting up an individual driving profile with VAQ options - like there was on Mk7.x GTI PP's.

This may be just a general ommission, because the user guide doesn't actually tell you anything about any of the menu contents - eg the car setup menu doesn't say WHAT you can change in there when quite clearly it will have time, date, units etc as well as a load of other things.

I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video where someone selected an individual setting. I’ll see if I can find it.

https://youtu.be/lywTAMqWwPY

Skip to 9 minutes in this video. I know it’s a standard GTI but I’m sure it’ll be the same on the Clubsport.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #75 on: 20 January 2021, 18:28 »
It might be off of the bottom of individual mode configuration screen in that shot but no vaq setting to be seen there.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #76 on: 20 January 2021, 19:16 »
It might be off of the bottom of individual mode configuration screen in that shot but no vaq setting to be seen there.

Ah sorry, I miss read,  I thought you meant no individual setting in general not specifically for VAQ.

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 20 January 2021, 19:19 »

The love for PS4's is fairly universal - I watched a Yaris GR vs Mini GP session with Joe Achillies and some other dude the other day. PS4's rated as the best road sport tyre you can fit...

Yeah I put them on the front of my MK7.5 and the grip difference was ridiculous to the point where the rear end couldn’t keep up and would slide round roundabouts and corners, it was so much fun but I eventually put the same on the back. My car came with Potenza’s as standard but they weren’t a match on the PS4S’s 

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #78 on: 23 January 2021, 11:54 »

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 23 January 2021, 14:17 »
Hi all,

New Clubsport written review by Top Gear.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk7/20-tsi-300-gti-clubsport-5dr-dsg/first-drive

Reading the article, it suggests?

"No faulting the quality, the bespoke Clubsport seat isn’t as aggressive as you might think (nor as low in the cabin as it should be").

Is this the usual generic Top Gear review?

I understood the CS-8 has the same seats as the regular GTi, only fitted with the Art Velours cloth to differentiate the interior from the base GTi?