Author Topic: ignition switch or starter motor? please help  (Read 1244 times)

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
ignition switch or starter motor? please help
« on: 21 January 2010, 16:52 »
My 96 8v GTi has a problem,
The problem is when I turn the key everything lights up but the car wont start.  After a few turns it starts.
Sometimes it turns over but does not burst into life, thats after a few turns with nothing happening.

When the car is cold it's not as bad, when the car is having lots of use, i.e in and out a lot during the day it is worse.  It has just taken 20 minutes to get going in my boys school car park.  Really thought I was going to have to get it recovered!

So is this  an ignition switch problem or starter motor, or even something to do with the immobilisor.  Gonna sound like a proper novice now, does my car have an immobilisor?

Please help, this problem is getting really annoying now.

Thank you

Offline roger1234

• GTI forum regular
Re: ignition switch or starter motor? please help
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2010, 16:58 »
Chances are it will be none of them if engine is turning over, more likely a fuel or ignition problem.

Offline GuessWho

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2010, 19:01 »
Yes your car does have in immobiliser.  :smiley:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2010, 08:43 »
factory immob wont casue this tho, if it was kicking in it would allow car to fire for a feww seconds then cut.  to proove if its switch or starter, simply run a chunky wire from battery +ve to the red/black wire on starter. if it works fine its your ign switch or wiring, if it does not its the starter.

fact its worse when hot points more at the starter, if it starts playing up put it in 3rd gear and rock the car, then try again. or give starter a couple taps with a hammer. not too hard as you'll kill it  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline av8r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2010, 19:58 »
A couple of years ago i had a problem where the ignition system would energize but the starter would only intermittantly operate on turning the key to start. It was the ignition switch (not the barrel part the key goes into, thank god...) I thought it was the solenoid on the starter to begin with until i tested it with a feed direct from the battery. However why your engine does not start normally once it is turning over i don't know, unfortunately maybe a combination of faults. hope that is of some help.

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2010, 09:30 »
factory immob wont casue this tho, if it was kicking in it would allow car to fire for a feww seconds then cut.  to proove if its switch or starter, simply run a chunky wire from battery +ve to the red/black wire on starter. if it works fine its your ign switch or wiring, if it does not its the starter.

fact its worse when hot points more at the starter, if it starts playing up put it in 3rd gear and rock the car, then try again. or give starter a couple taps with a hammer. not too hard as you'll kill it  :grin:

I will give that a try today, many thanks.

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2010, 09:31 »
A couple of years ago i had a problem where the ignition system would energize but the starter would only intermittantly operate on turning the key to start. It was the ignition switch (not the barrel part the key goes into, thank god...) I thought it was the solenoid on the starter to begin with until i tested it with a feed direct from the battery. However why your engine does not start normally once it is turning over i don't know, unfortunately maybe a combination of faults. hope that is of some help.

All information helps!  Many thanks

Offline vwscottie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2010, 18:13 »
I had a similar problem to my mk2 golf, mine would seem to turn over for ages some times and others it would start almost straight away,it turn out to be the ignition switch in the end.
One way to check is to wiggle the key in the barrel as you are turning the engine over.if the engine starts its the ignition switch at fault 

Offline lambogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2010, 13:56 »
My Golf does this.. i have to turn the key all the way around in the barrel and then some... it starts now and then..

If i hit the starter with a hammer it starts no problem. i will be changing my starter on Friday.. hopefully it fixes it!!