Author Topic: Panoramic sunroof to be removed from selected Golf Hatch models  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Panoramic sunroof to be removed from selected Golf Hatch models
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2023, 09:51 »
It surprises me they’ve gone back to the radar in front of the intercooler approach rather than hiding it behind the badge like they started with the 7.5.

Is that what looks like a little camera just above it too?
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2023, 18:40 »
Suspect though that the sun roof assembly is third party made (as is most of the car) and there are minimum commitments to quantity and they don't want to renew the supply contract. That happens with run downs and it's very clearly a monitory option!

That makes sense, but only if the facelift has a different roof?!

I don't think it does - afaik its the same shell with some different plastics.

Maybe they have redesigned the swimming pool cover sunroof?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2023, 18:41 »
It surprises me they’ve gone back to the radar in front of the intercooler approach rather than hiding it behind the badge like they started with the 7.5.

I reckon thats just the testing rig.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Lenny

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2023, 23:04 »

The body panels are made in house in the stamping plant and the removal of the sunroof would save costs for VW just as it did by discontinuing the 2 door panels, stamping dies are expensive and time consuming to manufacture.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2023, 09:04 »

The body panels are made in house in the stamping plant and the removal of the sunroof would save costs for VW just as it did by discontinuing the 2 door panels, stamping dies are expensive and time consuming to manufacture.

I remember the Richard Hammond program ‘Big(?)’ a couple of years back when he walked through the Wolfsburg manufacturing plant - amazing what was actually built on the site.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2023, 11:44 »
[/quote]

Yes that would make sense to me (I am from a manufacturing world and get this totally!)

But only if they also managed to ditch the supply chain for the actual swimming pool cover part.