Author Topic: New Arrivals!!  (Read 1165420 times)

Offline btcc

• Just got here
Re: New Arrivals!!
« Reply #2090 on: 09 March 2014, 19:19 »
Stunning car Jimble. Like others, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. It's interesting to hear from someone who has lived with both the GTI and R as magazines are so rarely able to provide these views. Look forward to some more pictures once the sun is shining.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #2091 on: 09 March 2014, 22:08 »
Jimble top car and top review hope to see an tin the flesh soon.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #2092 on: 09 March 2014, 22:42 »
JB GTI, it looks stunning, enjoy collecting. I was followed by a black Mk7 GTi, and it looked seriously mean & cool. Great colour choice.
Jimble…. Now that R looks amazing. I LOVE the colour. Been waiting for your review and more pics. Great write up. And yes, got the kids, so GTi PP was the right choice here. But great to know how the R drives. I'm now over 1000 miles and got nearly 35mpg today with a bit of mix motorway & A road driving, so you are not doing bad if you are getting that on a motorway at all!!!!Thank you & enjoy!!!!!  :smiley: :laugh:
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2093 on: 09 March 2014, 23:31 »
Just been over to look over my new car. All options present and correct. It looks great. Not sure if I can wait until the end of the month now  :laugh:

Looks lovely and the right amount of doors to enhance its looks further!

You're going to love it mines only 5 weeks old, so immensely capable still getting to grips with it, what a brilliant all round everyday car they are, so quiet and smooth, I didn't expect tdi like feel at low revs setting pulls from 1000rpm then keeps going to 7200rpm sounding incredible.

Mines been averaging 37mpg even on short 10 mile commutes, and 46av on longer 45 mile commutes, saw over 50 one day which is posted on here somewhere.

Its a motoring icon. If it don't say Gti on the box it's not a Gti!

Enjoy
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #2094 on: 10 March 2014, 13:35 »
Car looks awesome James, and great to hear a comparison between the GTI and R.  That blue is just  :cool:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline GiT1984

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2095 on: 10 March 2014, 15:04 »

Few more pics, haven't been able to get some clean pics in the sunshine yet which is a shame cos the Lapiz looks fantastic in the sun! 8)

First off this car is a completely different animal to the GTI, to the point where i feel that the GTI is probably the more rounded car to own and drive everyday, there are a couple of compromises that need to be made with the R, fuel consumption being a big one, boot space being another and to a certain extent ride comfort, although some of that is down to my R being on 19's and my GTI was on 18's, both with DCC, the R in comfort is acceptable but hit a pot hole and you know about it!! The pictures of the the R don't do it justice imo and i agree that it can look a bit plain compared the the GTI but when you see it in the flesh it looks so aggressive! And in race mode the driving experience matches the looks, the sound from the exhaust/actuator in the cabin is epic and you just can't resist giving it a little poke just to hear it! :drool: but as much fun as it is you'll be lucky to get into 20's from the tank! :sick:

MPG so far if your pootling isn't great but it still needs to be run in and a couple more tanks of v power cos it was full of whatever rubbish the dealer uses! Having said that it could be worse, mid to high 20's if driving miss daisy round town and 34-35 with acc set to 75 on the motorway, so not all bad and i expect it to improve.

Keep your foot in it and it's rapid! It feels quite a bit quicker than the GTI but thats no big surprise but what is surprising is the extra nudge in the back at 4500rpm! :o  I mean it really flies!

It feels much more hardcore than my GTI did and depending on your mood it can be exactly what you want, tight, super quick with a fantastic soundtrack and unbelievably planted on the road, no understeer and little to no lag, but when you just want to nip to the shop, it'll do it but you won't be as comfortable as you would be in a GTI.

The manual box in the R is fantastic with a very short throw for a standard box, i have noticed some on/off hesitation in 1st and 2nd and i'm not the only one apparently, it's not too bad but something i'll be keeping an eye on, might be a mapping issue so will report it to VW and see what happens, i know a lot of people like the DSG box but it's been well covered that i just don't get on with it and imo the manual really suits the R.

Not sure if it's the Haldex system or what but it just feels hunkered down on the road and doesn't feel like it'll let go anytime soon when hoofing it on a roundabout, haven't turned the ESC off yet and tbh it's not really my thing, maybe if we get a bit of snow but i've no intention of backing it into a hedge! :D

The interior is much of the same really, very comfortable seats, i'm still not a fan of the grey alcantara but obviously you don't see it when your sat on them, the blue highlights are lovely as are the carbon effect inserts, it's a bit plainer/classy inside than the GTI which is nice and ideal if your not a fan of the plaid and brushed chrome (which i am btw).

To sum up then, the R is an awesome piece of kit and i'm absolutely loving it! It's generally easy to live with and is more of an event than the GTI, however if you don't need/want 4wd and nearly 300hp and have kids, then the GTI PP is for you!

Love the wheels - I bet they'd look fab on a GTi ...... :D
2014 Mk7 GTi - CSG, PP, Leather, DSG, ACC, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera, Rear Airbags, Winter pack.

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2096 on: 10 March 2014, 18:17 »
JB GTI, it looks stunning, enjoy collecting. I was followed by a black Mk7 GTi, and it looked seriously mean & cool. Great colour choice.

Thanks Ginagee. I must admit it does look Black in the photo but it is definitely Carbon Grey  :wink:
« Last Edit: 10 March 2014, 18:20 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #2097 on: 10 March 2014, 18:34 »

Thanks Ginagee. I must admit it does look Black in the photo but it is definitely Carbon Grey  :wink:

Ooops, sorry!  :smiley:  :rolleyes:
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2098 on: 10 March 2014, 18:40 »

Ooops, sorry!  :smiley:  :rolleyes:

It will more than likely as much of a pain in the backside to keep clean as Black though   :whistle:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #2099 on: 11 March 2014, 08:16 »
I hope not - going from Deep Black Pearl to Carbon Grey myself.....  :whistle: