Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 376587 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1560 on: 07 December 2012, 22:19 »

Can it be mapped Mike is there a turbo on it? :undecided:

Not really mate, no turbo  :sad:

As Craig says, the expense is really not worth it...but if you really wanted to like peeps have done over on the swift forum you need a piggy ecu plus exhaust, induction ect ect ect then map it...

Before I got the GTD I was considering fitting a turbo/sc which wud of kicked it up to 180hp, factor in the weight and your dealing with a monster...the good thing about the sc is that it came with a switch that enabled you to flick between stock/sc...

I'm glad I case to my senses tho as the boot space is a no no for prams ect...
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1561 on: 07 December 2012, 22:55 »
Got a 330d M-Sport Touring next week for an extended test drive, it's going to make the 320d feel a it flat when it get it by comparison though :huh:

The 320d is a great engine. My dad had one of these (previous generation 3 series) and it very quick and had excellent economy. I wouldn't worry too much  :smiley:
Not sure about how true what I was told but I have heard on the grape vine that 20  BMW are eating turbos left right and centre.  The same trade source also told me but so are Audi CR units too.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2012, 22:57 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Jimmymature

« Reply #1562 on: 07 December 2012, 23:25 »
Got a 330d M-Sport Touring next week for an extended test drive, it's going to make the 320d feel a it flat when it get it by comparison though :huh:

The 320d is a great engine. My dad had one of these (previous generation 3 series) and it very quick and had excellent economy. I wouldn't worry too much  :smiley:
Not sure about how true what I was told but I have heard on the grape vine that 20  BMW are eating turbos left right and centre.  The same trade source also told me but so are Audi CR units too.

Certainly the older ones do - I know this is true because I know someone very very senior in the design team who designed them for BMW......

Jim

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #1563 on: 08 December 2012, 07:41 »

My bosses MY2011 525d  has done two turbos and CATs and whilst being taken on the test drive by the bmw technicians has done the same thing for a third time costing £4.5k a time so it's a good job it's under warranty.

That said in a fleet of 12 cars, his is the only car that's had any problems to date.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1564 on: 08 December 2012, 08:35 »
If only BMWs were perfect like golf gits  :grin:

In my experience I've never had a single customers turbo let go on a BMW or a Merc but plenty of vag group turbos go west time after time  :huh:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #1565 on: 08 December 2012, 08:38 »
Possibility of getting back in a company car again so would be very tempted by a 125D M-Sport....

Jim

Cool Jim...... Come over to the dark side

To be honest mate, I think a trip to the dark side is guaranteed, it will either be a twin turbo diesel or a twin turbo petrol  :evil:

Jim

Me too.

I've just had my 123d stolen from me by my sister in law and feel like my right arms been cut off  :sad:

Scouring the net for another one or something interesting as I type.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1566 on: 08 December 2012, 08:41 »

In my experience I've never had a single customers turbo let go on a BMW or a Merc but plenty of vag group turbos go west time after time  :huh:
touchy  :tongue:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #1567 on: 08 December 2012, 08:54 »

touchy  :tongue:

You or me?

I don't wear rose tinted glasses and can only comment on my experience and what I see is VW turbos made from recycled coke cans letting go.

Not on MK6's to be fair but certainly on mk4 and 5s

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1568 on: 09 December 2012, 08:36 »
All this talk of BMWs has got me looking in that direction for a possible replacement for the Passat next year. I think the 5 Touring is cracking value as an everyday car, but would the 520 be considered too gay?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #1569 on: 09 December 2012, 08:50 »
Do what most 520 owners do and take the badge off the back, and everyone still knows :grin:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect