Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64650 times)

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0 - Bodywork Time
« Reply #130 on: 15 July 2012, 09:14 »
You got some really good skillz mate top work wish I could do the things youve done.Dont know to much about welding but yours looks mint and I really like the fact its a 16v nothing against 20vt just seems the in conversion for mk3s where this is kinda 1 of a kind in my eyes great work.
Golf Gti

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #131 on: 15 July 2012, 09:33 »
Thanks mate. Yea not many ABF turbo mk3's about. And I fancied settling myself a challenge.  :nerd:

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #132 on: 15 July 2012, 09:50 »
A friend of my dads back in the day done a supercharged mk1 16v it had the mk2 engine in as mk3s wasnt out then I was only a kid but remember how rapid the thing was guy use to moan though about how it loved the fuel  :grin: I dare say there are the odd 16vt about but not many I only know of yours so fair play and doing something different is always good.As already said engine conversion yours and kells are top of the tree on here great skillz...
Golf Gti

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #133 on: 15 July 2012, 09:52 »
You got some really good skillz mate top work wish I could do the things youve done.Dont know to much about welding but yours looks mint and I really like the fact its a 16v nothing against 20vt just seems the in conversion for mk3s where this is kinda 1 of a kind in my eyes great work.

I agree with this.. and the fact that it doesnt look 'special' if you know what i mean  :evil:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #134 on: 15 July 2012, 10:21 »
In reference to the puddle light wiring connectors you fitted, I assume you needed 4 of these (2 per door)? Are they all identical and what's on the other end of the cable of what's shown in the photograph you've posted, does it have the puddle light connector or is it a bare ended wire?
Luckily the puddle lights I've salvaged have the connector blocks with them attached to about 80mm of cable if I need to adapt something.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #135 on: 15 July 2012, 20:57 »
In reference to the puddle light wiring connectors you fitted, I assume you needed 4 of these (2 per door)? Are they all identical and what's on the other end of the cable of what's shown in the photograph you've posted, does it have the puddle light connector or is it a bare ended wire?
Luckily the puddle lights I've salvaged have the connector blocks with them attached to about 80mm of cable if I need to adapt something.

The photo of the pins is one wire. Each wire has a pin on each end. So you only need 2 wires. Just make sure if you are connecting one wire in a loop into the door plug the wire is cut, or the battery is off, or fuses will be blown.

All I did was extend each wire and joined it the the plug that connects to the light.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 21:02 by tshirt2k »

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #136 on: 15 July 2012, 23:34 »
Cool, that's easy enough then cheers.

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #137 on: 23 August 2012, 23:40 »
looking good mate.
you want to do some welding on my car? :laugh:
i did the puddle lights on my car (didnt have them before) i connected the puddle wires to the window mech and they work like a dream
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #138 on: 24 August 2012, 05:44 »
Window mech? So the come on when you open the windows??  :grin:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0 - Back on the road
« Reply #139 on: 01 September 2012, 23:20 »
Update time.

Managed to get the car MOT'd and on the road today. :D.  Been a long time coming, and i was a bit concerned regarding the emmissions. The Last time they were checked, there was HC issues and it was a job to get it dialled in.

On first start up since fitting the new sport CAT, the car didnt want to run. The Idle was too low, AFRs were all over the place and i couldn't adjust the idle due to the idle screw being to short. This was confusing at first, as nothing was touched on the engine or ECU but it seemed to point to the engine needing more air to run and more fuel to match.
After some fiddling i got it to idle smoothly around stoich (AFR 14.7) and got the car booked in for the test.

Laptop at the ready the sniffer was put in the pipe and to my surprise the boxes were green with slightly raised CO. Fast idle cleared this up and was all good :o :afro:. So looks like you can get through the later emissions test with Megasquirt and a CAT.

I did some tests and found that the fueling had leaned off at the top end, probably due to the extra exhaust flow. So the map was adjusted and my smile was restored. Forgotten how quick it was!

Also gave me a chance to test the MK4 shifter/shortshift and taller 5th gear. Its still a bit stiff but is loosening up. The taller 5th is alot better. It doesn't feel so highly strung at motorway speeds but the drop from 4th to 5th isnt really noticeable.

Took a pic whilst waiting for the MOT. More to come.