Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64622 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Oh lucky you! Now I am really envious!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Oh lucky you! Now I am really envious!

Garage with a pit was one of the reasons I bought the house, although I've only just started to use it within the last few months. Didn't think it would be much use being to one side, but being able to weld standing up, is a blessing apart from weld spatter running down your neck.  :smiley:

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Lucky sod. I almost bought a house with one in as well. Double up and over, pit, tons of storage in the form of an old kitchen and converted roof space, LP air compressor and lines that they were keeping, power, water etc etc....... Shame the house was in a crap area and we had the little un to think about. Still look every time I go past it with envy.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Thats the one thing I wish I had done when I rebuilt the garage!
But it was way too much work at the time as the existing garage wall was in the way until the new one was fully built and the roof on. And there was 200mm of concrete in that area!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Pits are great in the garage, except when you jump in into them and they have frozen water that then breaks and you get soggy frozen feet :sick:

Good work on the sill.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Thought i'd better keep the thread alive. Not done much due to other commitments.
After having front bumber sprayed, I wanted to restore the textured part, but found that on my bumpers it can be removed and a new part got from the dealer.

Makes the bumper look like new.  :smug:

Also have been wanting to find out how to get a boot popper in there to open the delocked tailgate. Had no joy, so had a play with some metal and the welder.

As you can see. No lock hole and no wiper.

I thought about how i could secure the solenoid in the tailgate and decided to mount it on the wiper moter bracket. When you remove the motor, theres a recess the allows the solenoid to fit in there nicely. :smiley:

But had to secure it there, and wanted to be able to remove and replace it easy if something went wrong.
I bent up the metal securing strips that come with the motor to make some brackets.They were bent in a way that i can remove the motor without taking off the wiper bracket. Once happy, i tacked it in place. It didnt weld great due to the type of metal/coatings but was strong enough.

Not the best pics but you get the idea.

I fixed this into the tailgate and using the supplied hardware i connected it to the lock mechanism. Once that was done, I stated on the wiring.

This is how it fits.

I wanted the solenoid to operated in two ways:

1: Using a button on my alarm.
2: From a switch inside the car.

I didn't want to have it on the rear wiper like most do, as it could be accidentally open when going along.

I used a 30A SPDT relay, powered from a fused supply in the rear of my car. And wired it like shown in the 3rd diagram below.

At the moment, only the alarm side is wired, but pin 87a will be wired to a U.S trunk release switch, powered from an ign live at a later date.

A Video showing how it works. I press and hold a button on my alarm remote to operate it, but it only works when ignition is off, hence the need for another way of opening it.

« Last Edit: 15 January 2012, 16:15 by tshirt2k »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
i am sure i told you the bumper splits on the front..

Shame the rear one does not tho!

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
i am sure i told you the bumper splits on the front..

Shame the rear one does not tho!

The rears do. Just not the bottom bit where mine has a bit of damage.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Great work with the tailgate :afro:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0 - Bodywork Time
« Reply #109 on: 02 June 2012, 15:46 »
I finally found some time and £££ to get the car bodywork sorted. Found a place local that would do some work for me.

Before painting, it needed the rear arches straightening after the arch rolling exercise didn't go too well. [:$] Her are soe progress pics.

Drivers arch

A bit of rot that split the metal near the sill, needed attention.

Ready for smoothing.

Passenget side needed sorting due to a previous arch repair.