Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64612 times)

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0
« Reply #70 on: 03 August 2011, 21:59 »
Hi mate, whats happening with this, Brad and ben told me to look at the thread, got to admit the hole engine build lost me as that stuff is more bens shizzle but the interior looks sweet mate, anymore pics mate

Well done :smiley:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #71 on: 03 August 2011, 22:47 »
Cheers mate. Cars currently off the road. In the process of repairing and welding up collapsed sill and any rust found under there, which is mainly hidden under the factory underseal and grommets.
You've reminded me to update it.  :wink: I'll get some pics up.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #72 on: 03 August 2011, 23:16 »
told you he knew his sh!t didnt i roger  :wink:

how long till its back on the road russ ?  are you off to edition 38 ??

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 03 August 2011, 23:35 »
Whilst changing cat and gear selector, I noticed the neatside front jacking point looked a little worse for wear (folded and a little rusty). Decided to investigate a have a clean up. Started poking around and was a bit shocked as to what I found.

The hole at the top is where an existing grommet was. Just a bit enlarged.

Not one to be beaten. I started cutting out the rot. It looked fairly good on the surface but rust had travelled under the sealant.  :angry:

I cut out most of the rot and was left with this.

Had to by a complete sill but only used a small section around 12" long and 3" high as it's best to leave existing metal on the car. Also bought some angled repair panels and some thicker gauge to match what's on the car. Then I started putting the puzzle together.

Cut and welded metal for the underneath section trying to replicate original seams where possible.

Then welded in centre strengthening section. This was sprayed with zinc weld through primer to protect it from future rust. This was plug welded to the underneath section previously welded.

Front edge of the repair with wing removed. A new Genuine wing was bought as bottom was rusted through.

Then had to trim the outer sill repair panel so I could butt weld in place to make an almost invisible repair so as not to use any filler.

Result after grinding down welds. As you can see it's almost like original without the extra strengthening bulge underneath.

Front edge wing side closed up.

The repair was treated with phosphoric acid type rust remover and then painted with epoxy mastic and the seam sealed. More pics to follow.

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:44 by tshirt2k »

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 03 August 2011, 23:38 »
told you he knew his sh!t didnt i roger  :wink:

how long till its back on the road russ ?  are you off to edition 38 ??

Not sure yet mate. May have to check drivers side first. Once that's done, it's going for paint.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Would be good to see u at ED38 mate

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Fair play, that floorpan looks an awful mess, and beyond the capabilities and cost of most. Glad your getting it sorted, you can do evvvveeerrrryyyythiiiiinnnnnggggg!!!  :grin: :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Fair play, that floorpan looks an awful mess, and beyond the capabilities and cost of most. Glad your getting it sorted, you can do evvvveeerrrryyyythiiiiinnnnnggggg!!!  :grin: :smiley:

They don't call me Tshirt for nothing. :grin: :grin:

Looks worse than it actually was. :wink: The factory underseal hides alot. Only when you start peeling away does it show whats there.
If you don't wanna find out, dont remove the grommets like i did.  :sad: I have welded up 4 out of the 5 along the underside of that sill where rust has just started. Once rust has been cut out and a plate welded in, a covering of epoxy mastic, seam sealer, some cavity wax inside and underbody wax, it should last.

Nearside of the car is alway worse. Hopefully it wont be (in fact i know) its not same on the other jacking point.  :huh:

I know these are the only parts on the car that have rust, so thats why i chose to repair it.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
After welding up, I had to put some protection over the repair. Coated in epoxy resin then some grey stripe seam sealer.

Was coated in a few coats of dynax UB.  Inside the sill I filled with some dynax S50 cavity wax.

Outer sill is coated with some zinc primer for now. Just waiting for my new wing to be painted so I can fit it. I may still have to investigate the other side yet.

Whilst I was at the welding I decided to change the 5th gear for the 0.769 G60 gear set following the guides found around the web.
Surprised how easy it was. Only need to use the pullers for the big gear. The small gear was able to be levered off. The replacement small gear was a bit tighter to fit.

Old 0.84 ABF gears

G60 0.769 gears in place.

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:41 by tshirt2k »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
let me know how them gears are Russ mate  :cool:

Not no ordinary GTI....