Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64648 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0
« Reply #50 on: 23 March 2011, 13:01 »
I'm sure this thread was about how to turbocharge a mk3 ABF? Because as ive found, theres not many informative threads about.  :undecided: Unless it has a 20vT.

Maybe a thread about a mk3 with hid's would be more interesting?? We could talk about ellipsoidal projectors, self levellers and the like.  :huh: 

And yes, it is very fast and well mapped. You need to be able to see where you're going at certain times.

This is a fantastic build and thread, there's no denying it.

HIDs always have mixed views but it comes up from people (like myself) who are tired of being blinded by them.  I am yet to see a car that has aftermarket HIDs that actually have a proper beam pattern rather than just scattered blinding light. 

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #51 on: 23 March 2011, 13:16 »
To be fair I've not got problems with aftermarket HID's. The only ones that blind me are from tall range rovers when oncoming or following me, otherwise they're fine by me.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #52 on: 23 March 2011, 13:17 »
I get the point. But it's not a hid thread. Maybe we should just stick to the topic.

I'm not looking for praise, just sharing some knowledge with others who may be interested. Because I couldn't find anything when I was searching.  The hid's were mentioned due to a problem that pointed to the sensitivity of the megasquirt.

I know all about them. But I choose to have them. Just like I choose a mk3 over the preferred mk2 or mk1.

The debate can go on forever..but as I have seen in other threads insults are another story. But it seems acceptable on here for some reason. I can trade them all day but it's not big ir clever and it spoils the tone of the thread/forum.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #53 on: 23 March 2011, 13:24 »
I get the point. But it's not a hid thread. Maybe we should just stick to the topic.

I'm not looking for praise, just sharing some knowledge with others who may be interested. Because I couldn't find anything when I was searching.  The hid's were mentioned due to a problem that pointed to the sensitivity of the megasquirt.

I know all about them. But I choose to have them. Just like I choose a mk3 over the preferred mk2 or mk1.

The debate can go on forever..but as I have seen in other threads insults are another story. But it seems acceptable on here for some reason. I can trade them all day but it's not big ir clever and it spoils the tone of the thread/forum.

Not insulting nor do I care enough for it to turn into a debate, it was point that I backed, that is all.  :lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:

Continue with the good sh*t.  :smiley:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 23 March 2011, 13:35 »

Not insulting nor do I care enough for it to turn into a debate, it was point that I backed, that is all.  :lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:

Continue with the good sh*t.  :smiley:

That's good. :afro: Reference to insults wasn't aimed at you  :wink:
« Last Edit: 04 August 2011, 09:22 by tshirt2k »

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #55 on: 23 March 2011, 13:37 »
I wasn't insulting either, as I said I've got no problem with them  :smiley:

Offline tigerj360

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 23 March 2011, 13:54 »
great build mate! some great info too, you certainly know your sh1t!

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 17 June 2011, 15:02 »
Decided to do start the jobs a was supposed to do when i crushed my finger :sick:. Ie: change to mk4 style shifter and tower and fit hi flow cat.

So first few jobs were to removed the old cat. Lucky that i decided to change it, because it looks like it's had it. Plus its around 6 kilos compared to 2.8 kilos for the new one. Seems partially blocked and like a maraca when you shake it. Must be affecting emissions and possibly engine output.

Here's the cat comparison. Original is double the weight of the new one. Had to get extension piece made up. But it's around 10mm too long so I'm going to lose it off the end of the cat.

To convert the 02a shift arrangement to 02j, you need the tower that goes into the gearbox. I also added the TT short shift lever

And the gear shift mechanism. You can modify a mk4 one to fit, which is above. Or may be easier to fit a polo/Lupo/Ibiza one.
 I used mk4 cables and cable bracket with an ibiza cupra shifter housing. Bottom one in the pic.

Shift tower on gearbox. Note the later style bowden cable ends

Fitted the shifter in, and all gears can be selected. Had to secure front end of shifter with a bolt, some spacer nuts and washers as i didnt fancy welding brackets in. Only thing I don't like is the length of the lever. I'll see how it goes but may have to chop it down a bit.
Shift is short but precise and gears select quite easy. Not driven yet as I have to weld up another rotted bung at the front. [:x].

Still need some bits to fit the exhaust, but thinking about removing centre box and fitting non res section, as it way too quiet.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:45 by tshirt2k »

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #58 on: 17 June 2011, 22:52 »
i actualy read your thread from page one and all i can say is you got BIIIIIIIIIIIIG CAHONIES!!! :grin: loving it mate.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 17 June 2011, 23:01 »
Cheers mate  :cool: