Author Topic: edition 30 vs R32  (Read 27566 times)

DannyBoyR32

Re: edition 30 vs R32
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2007, 23:01 »
i gotta say these debates are interesting because perceptions change

i've got an r32 and yes it's quick and the running costs are similar to the cost of a heroin habit without the burglary but it does feel good every time i drive it although i am considering getting shot of it at some stage

i would say the ed30 looks better than the gti except for those seats which look bizarre as does the gear knob, i know it's 30th anniversary etc but to me it looks wrong and i would probably have bought it if it didn't have those things as it is better on fuel consumption, road tax and insurance and these things could mean the difference between being skint and really skint  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

i would say don't test drive both because you'll want the r32 as the power is incredible but i would consider your financial situation and work according to what you can afford or which one you like the look of

for me the r32 looks good, the main issues seems to be with the grill but i think it looks okay and is similar to the jetta but not exactly, i like the exhausts and all passengers who have been in it are complimentary

i have it in black which is cool but i also think grey looks excellent, i've seen one in my area and it looks very slick  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

DannyBoyR32

« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2007, 23:07 »
also dsg, not sure about it

i got it because everyone goes on about it but i would imagine the manual is pretty good too and makes the car cheaper

bi-xenons yes because the least they do is blind people when you turn the car on which has got to be a good thing plus when in the dark they help considerably................. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2007, 23:11 »
Which ever one you fancy after the test drive BUY IT!

No one on here will change your mind, but by putting the ED30 first in the title, you have subconsciously already made your mind up :wink:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Peskarik

« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2007, 07:24 »
OK, let me make up your mind for you.

Buy R32, it's a bit Pavarotti - bulky but with a mighty voice.
Moreover it has respectable dynamics (you said it yourself, it'll kill E30 everywhere but the straight dry line).

Then sell something, get in contact with BB Automobiltechnik and do a middle-of-the-range conversion, costs only 19950 Euro.
Then you have 0-100kmh in 4.6, 0-200kmh in 14.6, and max 300.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2007, 08:23 »
Cant stand these threads..... Try running a search.
Buy what you want cos many people have their own opinions and normally dont budge.

Good luck

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2007, 09:05 »
oooooh its hard to resist isnt it!!

I would actually say buy the ED30. This ensures that mine stays that little bit more exclusive, holds its value a little better, and overall ensures that i feel a little less guilty about the damage to the environment. Not to mention the fact that you just will not be able to handle the power. It is also quite expensive to run, insure and tax, which you probably cant afford either. The thick carpets you get are not to everyones tastes, as is the blue heat reflective which is no good to anyone with the winters we have. The 18" lightweight alloys not good for much apart from going round corners at high speed. Which brings me onto the Haldex controlled 4WD... only really useful for wet weather and snow... so useless in essence. Then there is the white dials and xenons.. why would you need such clear instrument dials or super bright headlights?? Also there is the interior which is quite similar to the ED30, only you have to have a special trim shared with only that other useless supercar the Veyron. Apart from that its probably not worth bothering with.. unless your going deaf like many of the older Gti owners on here.. then the V6 engine is nothing short of a noisy irritation when trying to listen to Radio 2.

So there we have it! There is no need to compare it against the ED30. Its a looser all on its own :cool:

p.s. the aluminium pedals are no good for driving with your slippers on either :nerd: But i bought one anyway :evil:

DannyBoyR32

« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2007, 13:27 »
hey r32
same car!!! except mine's got tinted windows at back, not my choice but it looks okay
what is ur mpg by the way?!!! does the mpg counter when car is moving flicker quite drastically (ie 80mpg, back down to 20mpg)?
let me know :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2007, 13:38 »
hahaha thats funny!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

id go with a white ed30 with black monzas and bluefin  :drool:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2007, 13:58 »
£400 tax on the R next year to.

Offline Golfgirl

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2007, 16:52 »

i would say don't test drive both because you'll want the r32 as the power is incredible but i would consider your financial situation and work according to what you can afford or which one you like the look of

That's bollox.

I currently have a (modified) Mk 4 R32 and wanted a Mk 5 R32.  The dealer suggested an Ed30 as well but I dismissed it straight away thinking it would be too much of a step down from what I've got.  I looked into getting an R32 -decided on the spec, got quotes on price, insurance etc. and had made my mind up.  I booked a test drive for a few days later and in the meantime just did a bit of research on the Ed30 and found that really there isn't THAT much of a difference in performance between the two.

So I asked the dealer if I could take an Ed30 out at the same time as the R32.  The day came and I test drove both.  I came away with my heart set on an Ed30 and I went back a few days later and placed an order for one.

Now this has come from someone who loves their current R32, and had decided on a new one.  But I gave the Ed30 a chance and TBH it blew me away.  It actually felt quicker than the R32 (quicker for the type of driving I do, although the R32 felt as if it had more all-round grunt) and the only thing the R32 has going for it is the 4WD and rumble of the V6.  The Ed30 is the better all-rounder IMO but you NEED to test drive both to appreciate both.  I never thought I would like the Ed30 but it surprised me.  I thought the the R32 would be a natural progression from what I have but I was wrong.

Add to that the fact the the Ed30 looks better, is  more exclusive, can be tuned easier and be quicker than an R32 (and also has better power-weight ratio), will be cheaper to run/insure/tax etc. it's a no-brainer for me really.

If you put into consideration the amount of cameras and traffic on our roads anyway you won't actually be able to use the attraction of the R32 to it's full potential and get that extra 3mph/0.3 secs upto 60mph and 20bhp anyway.