Author Topic: MK 5 R32 Review  (Read 34542 times)

Offline GTiMK5

• Not said much yet
  • MK 5 R32, 3 door, DBP, Recaros on order
MK 5 R32 Review
« on: 29 November 2005, 22:32 »
Went for a test drive last week in Guildford. Had seen 3 prior to this, 2 in DBP and 1 in black. IMO the black looked too bland and subdued but the DBP looked really good. The one I test drove was a 3 door DBP DSG. I parked my GTI next to it and thought the R32 looked so much better, anyone who has any reservations about the looks and especially the front should see it in the flesh before they make their minds up. The only thing I am not 100% sure about is the exhausts, they don't look bad, I just think they could look better but this was the only part I was slightly unsure about looks wise and everything else compensated for this more than enough to not put me off.

The interior of the demo had recaros with full leather. The seats were probably the best I have ever sat in, it was not hard to find a comfortable position/setup and they were really hugging. I would definitely reccomend these over the standard seats. The standard seats are the same as the GTI and are also really good but the recaros are so much better. The rest of the interior is very similar to the GTI with the exception of the aluminium effect which is ok ish.

The drive itself blew me away. I was out for approx 40 mins on A and B roads including the A3 between Guildford and M25 so equivalent to M/W. The car felt so much quicker than the GTI (I know in reality its very similar in terms of performance, just how it felt), the 4WD obviously made a huge difference, there was no wheelspin when putting foot down etc which is happening loads with the GTI at the moment in this weather. Although there is not loads of torque steer on the GTI it is still noticeable but on the R32 it didnt exist. The handling on sweeping bends, corners and roundabouts etc gave a lot more confidence, it felt more planted and there seemed to be a lot less body roll although the recaros could have contributed to this feeling. The sound of the 3.2 was awesome which just completed the whole package.

Overall my only reservation is the look of the rear tailpipes and this is not a major one at all. It may look slightly chavish but my view on it is that it is standard and people in the know will know it is not modded etc and I reckon someone like Milltek will bring out an option similar to the Mk iv anyway.

To conclude, I am placing an order for a 3 door, DBP, manual, recaros, leather once I find a dealer who has an early allocation.

People are saying that the performance of this car is very similar to the GTI i.e. 0 - 60 and top speed etc which I agree with but that is in ideal conditions and that is where the similarity ends. Anyone who thinks it is a similar car to the GTI is wrong in my opinion, the way it drives and handles is far superior to the GTI. For me to get a similarly specced R32 to my GTI is going to cost me an extra 2k on top of what I paid for the GTI which I do not think is an excessive amount for what you are getting.

Have a deposit on a current demonstartor and collect it on the 22nd Feb and also about to place a factory order which should turn up in about 12 months time.i

Offline Ali-Jay

• Not said much yet
Re: MK 5 R32 Review
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2005, 10:44 »
Great review.........and IÂ’m with you about the exhausts, theyÂ’re far, far to chavish for a Golf.:wink:

As I get to drive my other half’s Scooby WRX from time to time, I couldn't agree more about the merits of permanent four wheel drive this time of year. While powerful two wheel drive cars (front or rear) are struggling to put the power down to the tarmac it never ceases to amaze me how much grip a good four wheel drive system brings to the party in the most testing of conditions – just so long as you remember you can’t stop any quicker of course……………. :shocked:

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2005, 10:53 »
Very good review.. :cool:

I spotted a new R32 at the local dealers last week when I popped in...tbh I wasn't very impressed by the looks, all the chrome on the grille looked a bit out of place and, as you say, the exhaust is just wrong. The wheels are also something that didn't do anything for me, I think that's why I spent more time looking at the GTI parked next to it  :undecided:

I've not driven either of the cars but I can imagine that the R32 would outshine the GTI in that department and therefore make all of the above irrelevant anyway  :wink:
« Last Edit: 30 November 2005, 12:35 by Daz Mk2 16V »
08.03.10 - 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I want my golf back on the road!

Offline rega3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2005, 11:29 »
Excellent write-up, good to get an opinion from someone who has had/will have both cars.

Good luck with it when it arrives.

R :smiley: :smiley:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2005, 12:33 »
Yup, agreed, good review there. If I can ever afford one I'll go for the R32 then.  :grin:
......now officially dubless.

Offline bleu610

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2005, 16:18 »
Hi gtimk5,

Glad to read your review on r32, i just placed deposit last month but i read some other review of the car magazine in Hong Kong, and they said the character of r32 is totally difference than gti, it's not that sporty at all as gti, and the steering for corner driving is not as good as gti, and the recaros seat of the 3 doors version has stupid setting when somebody wants to get into backseat, it doesn't has the grip to put the front back toward to front.  The only advantage of r32 seems to be fast, fast and very fast but less excitment than gti in term of driving, especially the sound effect is very subtle and not good as gti.  I just worry that it is just another mature Mercede rather than a sporty racing car.

I hope you can give me some opinion because you have tried the r32, and I am consider to change my deposit to a 2006 gti or might be a 30 anniversary version gti with 220 bhp which will arrive end 2006.

Have a nice day!
bleu

Offline GTiMK5

• Not said much yet
  • MK 5 R32, 3 door, DBP, Recaros on order
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2005, 08:06 »
Hi blue610,

It is a personal opinion on how you view the GTI against the R32. Personally I think it looks a lot better certainly in Deep Blue Purple. My GTI was parked next to it and the R32 looked much better. The R32 is definitely sporty, it has bags of character about it and the steering is as good as the GTI. The recaros are brilliant and are easy to operate in the 3 door, there is a button in the space of the headrest that you press to operate and they operate in a very similar way to the standard seats. The standard seats are good but in my opinion the Recaros are better but that could be because I have driven a GTI with the same seats and so the Recaros distinguish it more and set it apart from the inside of the GTI.

I found the R32 much more exciting than the GTI and it was much more fun to drive especially in the current weather conditions we have here in the UK at the moment. As for the sound, it is so much better than the GTI, the GTI does not even come close to it. I have a milltek cat back non resonated on the GTI and the standard R32 still sounds much better than this, the GTI will never match the sound of a V6 at the end of the day.

If it was me I would keep the order for the R32, the GTI is good but in my opinion the R is better and if you change to the GTI you may well end up regretting it. Maybe you should try and arrange a back to back test drive of the two and that way you will know what you prefer yourself as what I like may be different but I think you would still choose the R

Offline bleu610

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2005, 16:14 »
dear gtimk5,

it's really so much thanks to your advice, i think i will keep the order of r32

what do you think of the first accerlation of r32? people said that v6 engine is so heavy at the front, so it doesn't start as quick as the gti, and gti has strong feeling of driving fast, but r32 chasis is so strong and stable so it doesn't feel quick even u are driving at 240 kms, pls let me know some of your drive feeling in r32.

do u know any informations about the 30th annverisary version gti?

hope that u don't mind all that questions

best regards

Offline Rog

• Not said much yet
  • Mk5 R32,5dr,Deep Blue,DSG,Sat Nav,Leather etc
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2005, 13:56 »
I got a MK 5 Gti (5 door, Blue graphite, leather ,satnav, 18' alloy's etc) back in May.  I think it's great, drives beautifully and I think looks really mean especially with the 18'' alloys - they look so much better than the 17'' - I just wish the insurance company agreed with me! Also the dark colour emphasis the red surround around the grill.  I made the mistake of test driving the R32 yesterday.  Externally I think(at the moment) I prefer the looks of the Gti.  I am not sure about the central tailpipes on the R32, I think the Gti's offset ones look fantastic.  Once I got in the R32 the cabins are very similar although the demonstrator had the Ricardo front leather seats which hug you but look crap.  Once I started the R32 up that's where the bug bites you - you can't beat the sound of a V6!  She gets the power down beautifully - not a hint of wheel scrabble even when flooring it in low gears where my Gti would be scrabbling for grip.  Handling wise the R32 feels more surefooted & confident & feels quicker than the Gti - the dogs bollocks! My wife had a shot too & she loved it(watch the alloys dear).
When we got back to the dealer I couldn't help myself.  I've ordered a 5 door R32 in deep blue with DSG this time - I think it will suit the engine beautifully whereas I tried the DSG in the Gti which I thought was excellent but it makes the engine or exhaust note sound more whiny compared against my standard manual which sounds good. Leather seats, satnav & a few other toys.  I love the Gti and I would advise anyone to buy one - it's a car you'll be proud of to sit in your driveway and has tonnes of street cred but the R32 is even better!  My dealer Sidlow at Gatwick has already shifted 8, I'm No 9  so at 1 a month per dealer I've got to wait till next September before it arrives.  The good news is I've got my Gti till then! I'm not a particularly flash git or absolutely loaded - generally speaking I'm careful with my money (being a Scottish) but I couldn't help myself  - you only live once!
The lesson here everyone is if you've got a Mk5 Gti be very careful if your planning to test drive the R32, it will put you in a dilemma - a nice one at that!!!!!!! :grin:

Offline Rog

• Not said much yet
  • Mk5 R32,5dr,Deep Blue,DSG,Sat Nav,Leather etc
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2005, 14:59 »
Sorry folks  - Rog again - in the previous post spell check managed to change the front leather seats from Ricaro to Ricardo. Also the dogs bollocks to the dogs nuts! Anyway both the Gti & R32 are that! :laugh: