Author Topic: I had private files hidden after reinstalling XP I can view them just not acces?  (Read 715 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Well I backup some files when reinstalling XP, but now I have found them again and want them back on the main drive I can see them, but not see/access content?
Anyone got a solution?
I think the properties have them encrypted under my old user login name so since my new XP install its not recognising I'm the owner?

Offline haf1zur

• Here all the time
if xp was reinstalled then the security credentials will be different, so you wont be able to access them

if its a folder, right click on it then properties, click on security tab once the property tab comes up, once the security tab comes up, click on the owner tab

here click on your current user and make sure "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"  is ticked

click on ok and then yes to all till it finishes

that should let you have access again

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
I don't seem to have any security tabs? Do I need to go in as admin then do it?
I can bring up individual file user access but cannot remove the user ID's

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Oops :lipsrsealed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308993

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/136179-35-decrypt-files-certificate

Do you have a full or partial backup of your PC before you reinstalled? I'd suggest doing a full restore (to a blank hard drive if you have a spare/old drive), decrypt the files and then reinstall.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Okidoki!
Its fine I'm sure I have it on disc, but good to know about the certs wasn't aware TBH, makes me returning that dud 1TB hardrive feel better. I did hard format it before giving it back though.