Author Topic: noisy ride  (Read 1162 times)

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
noisy ride
« on: 03 June 2023, 20:36 »
my MK8 life doesn't seem any a better ride than my MK7. and just to prove it, in colder weather, its a rougher and noisier ride, much better in warmer weather. colder weather brings out the parcel shelf rattle, and door seal creaks, and not so smooth over bumps. when its warmer these are quieter.
any of you have similar issues? or is my radio not turned up enough. :grin: :nerd:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: noisy ride
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2023, 21:53 »
Tyres can be a factor in noise levels. What brand and size of tyres do you have on your car? Which model of Golf do you have?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2023, 07:59 »
Tyres can be a factor in noise levels. What brand and size of tyres do you have on your car? Which model of Golf do you have?

If its Bridgestones, there's your answer - hard in warm weather, like granite discs in colder weather.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2023, 09:08 »

If its Bridgestones, there's your answer - hard in warm weather, like granite discs in colder weather.

I swapped my Bridgestones to Michelin PS5’s - so much quieter.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2023, 13:05 »
so i have a 72 plate 148 life model, tyres are the default Nexen, previous MK7 model had Goodyear, which i found were much better and quieter. never had an issue with my MK6 which is still going strong. just seems to be a weaker setup on MK7 and 8's.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2023, 13:47 »
so i have a 72 plate 148 life model, tyres are the default Nexen, previous MK7 model had Goodyear, which i found were much better and quieter. never had an issue with my MK6 which is still going strong. just seems to be a weaker setup on MK7 and 8's.

Cost cutting over the years might also mean there’s less - and maybe poorer quality - sound deadening material used in the mk8 compared to a comparable mk6 Golf model.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2023, 09:08 »
my MK8 life doesn't seem any a better ride than my MK7. and just to prove it, in colder weather, its a rougher and noisier ride, much better in warmer weather. colder weather brings out the parcel shelf rattle, and door seal creaks, and not so smooth over bumps. when its warmer these are quieter.
any of you have similar issues? or is my radio not turned up enough. :grin: :nerd:

I put a bit of anti-rattle tape on the stops to quieten down the parcel shelf. Works well for about a year before they need to be replaced. Door seals need lubricating annually with Krytox. You'll be amazed at just how much noise that removes, if you have a sunroof then that needs doing too. I did mine in 2021 and over the last few weeks the creaking and rattles are starting to come back.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2023, 20:32 »
maybe VW got it wrong, should have thought about 205 60R16 instead of 55R16? as a default tyre.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2023, 16:54 »
I’ve got a bit of an annoying rattle sometimes within the door or b pillar interior trim. Don’t remember the same in my mk6 on same roads. (My mk8 has DCC and is mostly in comfort)

I do have Bridgestones and truly terrible road surfaces - in France it was fine. My Honda e is worse around the rear view mirror interior trim.

Luckily though no problems with the software not working / bonging. (Lane assist and the odd misreading of speed limits I put in category of how it’s designed to work
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options