Author Topic: EVO Golf R, A45 AMG and Civic Type R multi test  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
EVO Golf R, A45 AMG and Civic Type R multi test
« on: 09 July 2021, 10:05 »
Got my EVO subscription mag through yesterday, read the test with the Golf R, Civic Type R and A45 AMG I was really surprised by their rating of the R, they only gave it 3 stars and really panned it against the CTR and AMG, first thing I thought it was an odd trio to test, AMG in a different league (RS3 M2 etc). The common theme with bad reviews is the Bridgestone tyres though and their grip and turn in I do wonder had it been on the Goodyears whether it would have been different?

Other things of note though they were slating the user interface (again) I really don't understand how these journalists find it so hard to get used to! The comment was why the red square for home couldn't be a home symbol!!! DO Apple or Android phones have a home symbol? I know mine don't, I get there are a myriad of options for a DCC specced car but can't see why you would need to change it multiple times in a journey, are they just being particularly pernickity?

EVO have fanboyed over the new CTR ever since it was launched but as good as it may drive its the most vulgar hot hatch in my view, unless you want to drive around looking like a Max Power wannabe its just a bit too much!!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: EVO Golf R, A45 AMG and Civic Type R multi test
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2021, 10:33 »
They have to find something.... I was reading a review on some other car the other day and they said XYZ was wrong and then said it shows how good the car is when they are hunting for a negative and only coming up with that...

Although to be fair, from here on out the software interface will be the defining feature of all BEV's... VW have a long way to go to be fair.

As for adjusting DCC on the move... easy, I do it often.... mode button, I'm already in individual mode, select the customise button, mash one of the dots on the DCC setting slider... job done. Not that you are doing it every corner.... but often on a journey I will set it appropriately at least once - usually to bloody softer than soft thanks to the roads :-/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2021, 10:41 »
They have to find something.... I was reading a review on some other car the other day and they said XYZ was wrong and then said it shows how good the car is when they are hunting for a negative and only coming up with that...

Although to be fair, from here on out the software interface will be the defining feature of all BEV's... VW have a long way to go to be fair.

As for adjusting DCC on the move... easy, I do it often.... mode button, I'm already in individual mode, select the customise button, mash one of the dots on the DCC setting slider... job done. Not that you are doing it every corner.... but often on a journey I will set it appropriately at least once - usually to bloody softer than soft thanks to the roads :-/

Interesting, what do you normally drive with, day to day? DO you ever just do the ring mode?
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2021, 10:53 »
Mine is a GTI, not a clubby...

I normally drive with DCC set to comfort in individual mode... and then go a bit more towards the middle if its decent roads or more likely put it into Paris-Dakkar mode...and bounce around like a moon buggy.

I think there are 15 settings for DCC, comfort is about 2 stops from "Paris Dakkar" and then there are a dozen more including hard beyond sport...

If I find somewhere nice and smooth (my favourite roundabout!) I just change to sport mode to get all of the other settings turned up at the same time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2021, 11:58 »

You're probably right, they gave the CS 4 stars when they reviewed that which makes me happy anyway at least my car is better than an R!!!!

The user interface isn't horrendous and I find the haptics easy enough to use, I have no doubt that it will get tweaked and may look a bit different on the mk8.5 in a few years.

Previously

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2021, 12:51 »
Got my EVO subscription mag through yesterday, read the test with the Golf R, Civic Type R and A45 AMG I was really surprised by their rating of the R, they only gave it 3 stars and really panned it against the CTR and AMG, first thing I thought it was an odd trio to test, AMG in a different league (RS3 M2 etc). The common theme with bad reviews is the Bridgestone tyres though and their grip and turn in I do wonder had it been on the Goodyears whether it would have been different?

Other things of note though they were slating the user interface (again) I really don't understand how these journalists find it so hard to get used to! The comment was why the red square for home couldn't be a home symbol!!! DO Apple or Android phones have a home symbol? I know mine don't, I get there are a myriad of options for a DCC specced car but can't see why you would need to change it multiple times in a journey, are they just being particularly pernickity?

EVO have fanboyed over the new CTR ever since it was launched but as good as it may drive its the most vulgar hot hatch in my view, unless you want to drive around looking like a Max Power wannabe its just a bit too much!!!!

Strange they wouldn't compare it with the A35, but why did they compare it with the Type R which is still a fwd car which makes it a Clubsport rival.

I think you're not looking at how they reviewed each car, they probably organised the 3 cars to be at the same place on the same day and jumped between the three. The Honda and Merc both have physical buttons and dials for basic functions, of course they'll be reviewed as better, they're more functional from the get go!

Versus the A35 Evo have said it's very close with the A35 edging forward slightly.

Personally I think the Merc and Honda both have far nicer interiors than the golf, especially if the Civic Type R Sport Line was on the cards with it's dulled down looks, the problem with all the screens is they become dated far far faster than traditionally built cars just have to look at the 2012 VW Touareg to see how rapidly screens look dated, as well as most people don't want to have to learn how to use a car, it's a car not Microsoft Powerpoint!

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2021, 13:53 »
I understand that they had the three cars together and jumped between the three that's how they always review their cars.

That was the point of the post they've compared three different car at three different price points, the golf R is competition for S3, A35, M135i I wouldn't compare it to a CTR or an A45.

My personal opinion the CTR interior looks cheap and those red seats are awful (which to be fair they did say in the review). Its a bit of a marmite car in that regard.

With regards to the screens the older screens have dated yes (including my mk7.5) because the pixels are bigger so the text and nav looks less clear the same issue with a 2012 Touraeg. The point i was making was that the user interface isn't all that difficult to use. Having driven mine for a few weeks yes I do know it inside out but it was fairly intuitive from the get go and didn't take long to learn. Its by no means a difficult system to use. Perhaps its downfall is the fact there isn't an I-drive controller or similar.

Oh and another thing they complained the start button was on the central console in front of the gear selector?!!!!
Previously

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2021, 14:48 »
My personal opinion the CTR interior looks cheap and those red seats are awful (which to be fair they did say in the review). Its a bit of a marmite car in that regard.

Its by no means a difficult system to use. Perhaps its downfall is the fact there isn't an I-drive controller or similar.

Oh and another thing they complained the start button was on the central console in front of the gear selector?!!!!

That's why I specified the CTR Sports Line, it has grey seats so looks more sensible and less jarring, as well as there's no rear wing but we all know pictures rarely do cars justice.

If the golf interior had physical air con dials and a volume button, I could guarantee it would be rated a lot better, but also think the gear selector should've been placed on an indicator stalk for all the size of it and free up more space.

That is a strange complaint, it's a good place for the button.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2021, 16:12 »

Its by no means a difficult system to use. Perhaps its downfall is the fact there isn't an I-drive controller or similar.

Agree, having the start button near the gear selector is the most logical place for it to be IMHO, as selecting gear is the first thing most drivers will do after pressing the start button.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2021, 16:24 »

That's why I specified the CTR Sports Line, it has grey seats so looks more sensible and less jarring, as well as there's no rear wing but we all know pictures rarely do cars justice.

If the golf interior had physical air con dials and a volume button, I could guarantee it would be rated a lot better, but also think the gear selector should've been placed on an indicator stalk for all the size of it and free up more space.

The civic Sportline looks much better to be fair they also had the review on EVO on that not read it yet
Previously