Author Topic: Update on my new GTI  (Read 3616 times)

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
Update on my new GTI
« on: 05 May 2021, 10:18 »
I thought I do write a little bit about things I like and noticed in comparison to what order have written about there GTi experience here

I collected my GTi from Wolfsburg on the 24/04/2021 with now 1300kilometer driven
The car came with the 1788 software and Goodyear eagle F1

Some of the things I’ve notice that I like so far.
Software is responsive and connect every time wirelessly to CarPlay
I was able to login as main user to weconnect on first try and able to lock and unlock car with weconnect app also heat or cool the car
The drive mode remained in the mode that was last used regardless of how long I park the car maximum so far was 4 days and it stays in sport mode
The standard 7 speaker sound system was surprisingly good even better than the premium system in my seat Leon 2019 model
There is a definite small reaction improvement in performance of the car in slow city traffic after I changed to 98 octane petrol  last week instead of the recommended 95 that I used for the first 500 kilometers
I find the DSG quite good when using the steering pedal but just like some have mentioned here it hangs on to the gear long when in sport mode during city traffic which I find normal for a sport mode
My favorite aspect of the car is the amount of grip in corners
I also really like the new layout of the infotainment it does look modern when you compare it to the GTi 7

Things I don’t like are not many the main one been the  unintentional clicking of the controls on the steering
I am a little disappointed about the hard plastic in the middle console and the door panel  for a car that cost €37k
Both camera and folding mirror are options on a car that cost €37k is a little surprise to my wife as her car Mazda CX30 cost 23k but comes with more soft material and more standard equipment

All in all I am very very happy with the performance of the car considering my leasing rate but if i was to buy a car for €37k with my cash I would choose something else

ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Update on my new GTI
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2021, 10:59 »
On sport mode staying on.... yes it does, but when you restart the car the engine will not be in sport mode, just all of the other settings stay on.  Its something the Mk7 used to do too and something to do with stopping you working the engine hard when its cold.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2021, 11:26 »
Hi Fred
My stay in sport mode or individual mode or comfort  mode the next time I came start the car.
1 left the car for 4 days and it remain in the individual mode I drove it the last time.
It might have something to do with the newer software.
Maybe anyone with the same software can have a check
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2021, 12:17 »
Yes mine stays in whatever mode i had selected before, but if you select "Sport" the drive won't be in sport.

When you turn the car back on the following day, does your gearbox show S mode? I don't think it does...it will go to D but everything else from Sport mode will be set still.... steering, ACC, DCC (if you have it) etc
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2021, 17:49 »
oh ok i did not pay attention to the drive selection mode staying in normal. i only check the mode from the mode selection to confirm it is still on whatever i left it the previous time.
thanks for the info
ordered on 30/09/2020 

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2021, 11:38 »
Is Auxiliary Ventilation also free for everyone through we connect app?

I didn’t not pay to option this feature for my GTi  but I have it on my app and tried it today it worked.  :cool:
It cooled the car before I got to it without running the engine.
I was just wondering if it’s a free option for everyone

ordered on 30/09/2020 

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2021, 11:49 »
I had that feature in my old BMW 4 series... nice little gimmick, but if its like the BMW, it doesn't run the aircon, it just runs the fans.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2021, 14:06 »
Is Auxiliary Ventilation also free for everyone through we connect app?

I didn’t not pay to option this feature for my GTi  but I have it on my app and tried it today it worked.  :cool:
It cooled the car before I got to it without running the engine.
I was just wondering if it’s a free option for everyone

Not a feature on my UK clubsport. Checked in the car, and couldn’t find anything to enable it either

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2021, 16:52 »

Not a feature on my UK clubsport. Checked in the car, and couldn’t find anything to enable it either
[/quote]
i also checked my car and didn't find anywhere to enable it. i think it is only available on the WE CONNECT APP
ordered on 30/09/2020 

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2021, 21:39 »

i also checked my car and didn't find anywhere to enable it. i think it is only available on the WE CONNECT APP
[/quote]

No obvious way to enable via the app either