Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529206 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2180 on: 15 June 2021, 10:58 »
I think I'm just going to have to use either a car wash or the local hand car wash people. I'm just never going to get my car looking clean :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2181 on: 15 June 2021, 12:31 »
I think I'm just going to have to use either a car wash or the local hand car wash people. I'm just never going to get my car looking clean :cry:

Don’t give up - where there’s a will, there’s a way :smiley:.

Mine’s looking reasonably clean just now, if you look past the stuck on squashed bugs on the front, and the thick layer of dust on the roof and bonnet. I’ll be using it over the next few days when rain and thunderstorms are forecast in my part of the world, so it’ll soon look dirty.

Car clean is on my ‘to do’ list for the weekend or early next week.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2182 on: 15 June 2021, 14:26 »
Cheers SR. It's just so frustrating. The last wash was in January! Perhaps I'll pour some shampoo on it when the storms come :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2183 on: 17 June 2021, 16:32 »
Finally managed to give it a wash. Not my finest hour and really didn't enjoy doing it. Was after an early shift at work and it was rather humid. Plus the filth that came off was unbelievable :sad:. Still, it's looking a lot better (from a distance) but does need decontaminating and sealing. I'm seriously thinking about going down the ceramic coating route but there are a few stonechips to sort out on the front end first.

Don't look closely at the wheels, there just wasn't time today :rolleyes:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2184 on: 17 June 2021, 17:14 »
Finally managed to give it a wash. Not my finest hour and really didn't enjoy doing it. Was after an early shift at work and it was rather humid. Plus the filth that came off was unbelievable :sad:. Still, it's looking a lot better (from a distance) but does need decontaminating and sealing. I'm seriously thinking about going down the ceramic coating route but there are a few stonechips to sort out on the front end first.

Don't look closely at the wheels, there just wasn't time today :rolleyes:

Looks good again @Watts. :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2185 on: 17 June 2021, 19:21 »
Looks good again @Watts. :cool:

Cheers, I had to rush it as we go away tomorrow and I do like the car to look reasonable before a long journey (or three...). The wheels need a lot of effort but if I decide to get it ceramic coated, the detailer can have that little pleasure :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2186 on: 10 April 2022, 23:23 »
As the weather was good this weekend i spent most of it cleaning the car, i didn't intend to do any more after the Saturday but today was good so i took the opportunity for some super resin polish and ceramic spray.
Vacuumed, interior shampoo and fast glass for the shiny bits inside. Polar blast/wash/seal, wheel cleaner and fast glass for the outside. Happy with the result, i quite enjoy cleaning cars but i couldn't do it for a living, it's back breaking!

Also fitted some wind deflectors, i appreciate they're marmite but as someone who drives everywhere with the window open i need them otherwise i get dripped on  :grin:

The downside to this weekend is i have spotted a few more stone chips than i'd originally seen, whether that was down to the dealership covering them up well or in my excitement of buying the car i'd missed them (or a combo of both). Now i need to decide if i'm going down the route of touch ups and cocktail sticks or bite the bullet and get it down properly  :sad:
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2187 on: 11 April 2022, 19:16 »
As the weather was good this weekend i spent most of it cleaning the car, i didn't intend to do any more after the Saturday but today was good so i took the opportunity for some super resin polish and ceramic spray.
Vacuumed, interior shampoo and fast glass for the shiny bits inside. Polar blast/wash/seal, wheel cleaner and fast glass for the outside. Happy with the result, i quite enjoy cleaning cars but i couldn't do it for a living, it's back breaking!

Also fitted some wind deflectors, i appreciate they're marmite but as someone who drives everywhere with the window open i need them otherwise i get dripped on  :grin:

The downside to this weekend is i have spotted a few more stone chips than i'd originally seen, whether that was down to the dealership covering them up well or in my excitement of buying the car i'd missed them (or a combo of both). Now i need to decide if i'm going down the route of touch ups and cocktail sticks or bite the bullet and get it down properly  :sad:

I think your the first tornado red TCR I've ever seen, it's very refreshing to see!

I went the Xpel Self-Healing PPF route on my TR, expensive yes, do I regret it? Absolutely not if anything I wish I ppf'd more! It's worth looking into if you're thinking of keeping the car long term and get the stone chips touched in with a pen before it's wrapped.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2188 on: 11 April 2022, 21:24 »
I think your the first tornado red TCR I've ever seen, it's very refreshing to see!
Thanks Will, your PP is looking very nice  :wink:  My journey to getting the TCR over the last 8 months has been a bit odd. I was very much in SUV territory (i had a knee replacement 3 years ago so getting in and out of higher vehicles was easier) last August when i p/x'd my Kia Sportage in for a 67 plate Tiguan R-Line, it was almost perfect for me, except that it just felt a bit too sensible. I also felt with the 'R-Line' i was getting an exclusive range, i soon realised that VW slapped the 'R-Line' badge on a lot of models! This got me thinking about the Tiguan R, however i couldn't justify the £46k-£50k price tag, especially when compared to the Golf R. This in turn got me thinking about the PP and whilst looking into the PP i discovered the TCR. I was fortunate that the dealership had two, my red one and a black one, what swung it was the extra body kit and decals stood out more. It's been a long long time since a car has put a smile on my face, the TCR has done that and more, i actually want to go out for a drive even if i don't need to go anywhere.......which is great with fuel prices going through the roof  :grin: The added bonus as well is that i have had no issues getting in and out with my knee, the Golf is a miracle worker!

I went the Xpel Self-Healing PPF route on my TR, expensive yes, do I regret it? Absolutely not if anything I wish I ppf'd more! It's worth looking into if you're thinking of keeping the car long term and get the stone chips touched in with a pen before it's wrapped.
Something Protection Film? I saw it mentioned somewhere when i was looking for detailers near me but didn't look into it, i plan to keep the TCR for a long time, dare i say it i might even be the last owner of it, so PPF might be something worth looking into.
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2189 on: 12 April 2022, 08:28 »
I've been using Car Plan for years. Reasonably priced, easy to apply and looks good. Lasts pretty well too.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-and-tyre-cleaning/carplan-tyre-slik-500ml-333815.html

I use Autoglym Tyre Dressing but ditch the spray and sponge it on - less mess. Seems to last a few weeks.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.