Author Topic: Classic car insurance  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Yastik

• Not said much yet
Classic car insurance
« on: 05 April 2004, 09:01 »
Has anyone got their Mk 1 insured with classic car insurance? Which companies offer it for the Mk1 and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:Classic car insurance
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2004, 10:42 »
I have mine insured through A-Plan at an affordable sum of ?250 FC Protected NCB - ( not bad seeing as I have 6 points)
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2004, 10:44 »
Don't these policies restrict your mileage though ?
......now officially dubless.

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2004, 12:17 »
i got a classic quote with HIC recently and it was restricted to 3000 miles and you dont get any no claims bonus built up with that but you can get an agreed value. only ?318 tho  :)

I have had non classic quotes from Brentacre and elephant/admiral and i think you will find these come up cheapest for the GTI owners. Mine is now ?630 ish with no ncb :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2004, 13:54 »
As my cabrio is only on the road for the best 6 months of the year, I have classic car insurance on that. The Audi is my day to day runner and that is insured with Direct Line with full no claims etc.
The Golf is a totally seperate policy, fully comprehensive, agreed value of ?2000.............cost is just ?100/year. However, as Vix says, my mileage is limited to 1500 miles and you don't build up a no-claims bonus..........but that suits my circumstances down to the ground ;)
Oh and its insured with 'footman james'.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2004, 14:28 »
Cor Rich, just enough miles for a few trips round the block then  ;)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2004, 14:47 »
Its only a 'fun' summer car. Went to VW Action, Whitenoise etc., last year. I was a little concerned that 1500 wouldn't be enough but insurance isn't due for renewal until July and I still have 800 miles to go. May have to up it to 3000 miles this year, for a small increase in premium.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2004, 15:00 »
Seems like you've got that policy well covered Rich with 800 miles to go. I think it's a good idea if you only do a few hundred miles a year and you have alternative transport. ?100 a year, bargain  ;D

Offline rustynuts

• Here all the time
  • God is a DJ
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2004, 10:20 »
My Mk1 is on a Classic insurance - Costs me ?180 for a 3000 miles limited policy. Again this is with Footman and James and you can deal with them direct if you so wish. I don't think they are too keen on modifications though.

Offline Purple Monster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2004, 20:39 »
Found HIC classic insurance to be the best, 3,000 miles for ?320, great if only using on sunny days/shows. Agreed value and with all the horses declared  ;D. No NCB though. Found them to be the most competetive on quotes for all golfs too. (Just tell them Ian Flux have quoted you less :-X!! they like to beat them..)