Author Topic: mk1 blowers  (Read 955 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
mk1 blowers
« on: 25 January 2007, 08:16 »
YES! I HAVE DONE A SEARCH, BUT COULDNT FIND WHAT I NEED TO KNOW!!!

i've had as new heater matrix fitted in the cab, but this is cos there wasn't one, so now i get lovely heat (all the time) only problem is now, that the blowers don't blow.

i havent had a good poke round my car, so first typical hannah question is -

1)Where is the fusebox? and what fuse should i be checking / changing for blowers?

2)how do i remove any part of the dash so i can get behind the blower sliders, (i also need to replace bulbs behind there as i dont have lights, but other halfs mk1 does) i'm thinking that i might check the contacts and give tyhem a clean n the back of the sliders.

because the car appears to have a later dash fitted i feel the blowers may not be connected as the mfa also doesnt work and i think that may be disconnected or something. What should i be looking for to ensure all correct connectors are connected so i can check.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: mk1 blowers
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2007, 12:34 »
I had this, it was a siezed blower motor.  If it has worked in the past it probably not that though!  To fix it I pulled the plastic scuttle tray off, undid the 4 bolts holding the blower mesh cover on, removed the screw holding on the resistor pack, and then popped the motor off its housing, tilted to one side and drowned the spindles etc with penatrating oil, whilst moving the fan back & forth.  Eventually freed off and now it spins nicely :)

1) its under the dash on the passenger side, fuse #14
2) No, the slider bit should pop off once you've removed the slider knobs :)
If you take the stereo out you can get behind it easier, which may help.

Fuse #3 is for the MFA, so pull that for 30 seconds to see if that revives it :)
« Last Edit: 25 January 2007, 12:36 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.