Author Topic: Lime Prime Lite. My new favorite product.  (Read 7137 times)

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
Lime Prime Lite. My new favorite product.
« on: 01 September 2014, 15:19 »
Thought I'd make a post about this, as I had an awesome day doing some detailing on an MG ZR yesterday with some fantastic results!

Just as a guide for anyone who may not know what Lime Prime Lite might be like  :smiley:

I wondered how good it would be, with absolutely no abrasives in it?

Part of me thought its just an expensive (but lovely-smelling) bottle of green goop, but thought I'd give it a go.

The ZR I had in was covered (and I mean fecking peppered) with dots of tar all over the sills, doors, bumpers, skirts.. everywhere!!

And one very unsightly scrape on the rear bumper where someone brushed past it in a car park. Scratches and ingrained paint (possibly tar too juding by the feels)

Did a panel test using a MF cloth just to check paint reaction to be safe.. just worked it in by hand and wiped off. Much to my delight, the few tar spots in the inconspicuous test panel VANISHED! and I mean gone!! HURRAY!

Blech!  :sick:

So, out came the bottle of stuff I hadn't tested before!

Applied with a DA, and hay ho hadouken presto!!  :grin:

Seriously impressed with this stuff! super strong cleaning power and smells like you should be eating it  :laugh:

one very happy ZR owner. cars probably 1kg lighter with all the tar removed lol  :laugh: :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Lime Prime Lite. My new favorite product.
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 19:10 »
Nicely done, it's come up great  :cool:

I like Lime Prime.  The lite version is a great non abrasive paint cleanser and normal lime prime's good for polishing out light marks/marring and a gives a good base for waxing.  I keep both versions in my detailing armoury, though usually use a dedicated tar remover for tar spots.

I've just bought a bottle of Trix, which is a combined iron and tar remover.  I normally use separate products, but as time is ever more scarce, though I'd give this a go to see if it does a reasonable job.  Hoping to try it out soon.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2014, 13:39 »
Nicely done, it's come up great  :cool:

I like Lime Prime.  The lite version is a great non abrasive paint cleanser and normal lime prime's good for polishing out light marks/marring and a gives a good base for waxing.  I keep both versions in my detailing armoury, though usually use a dedicated tar remover for tar spots.

I've just bought a bottle of Trix, which is a combined iron and tar remover.  I normally use separate products, but as time is ever more scarce, though I'd give this a go to see if it does a reasonable job.  Hoping to try it out soon.

Thanks man  :smiley:

It did absolutely brilliantly on the tar spots!! Didn't expect it to.. used a pad with very light cut to it, and i'd say 90% came straight off!

I'd bet that with the light abrasive version, everything would have come off 100% but I haven't taken to abrasive products as yet, as I've only recently started out detailing with a DA!

I'm sure I will do as soon as I get a bit braver and have my technique down  :grin:

the fruit oils in LP just did wonderfully, really gave the red a deep clean look.

Offline Black oil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2014, 09:24 »
Can you use this with a DA and if so what type of pad?
As it does not contain abrasives would you use a light polishing pad or a finishing pad?
Cheers.
Mk7 Gti.5dr.Deep black pearl,PP,acc,nav pro,pano roof,leather,winter pack,dynaudio.Rather nice.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2014, 11:11 »
As it does not contain abrasives would you use a light polishing pad or a finishing pad?
Cheers.

A finishing pad.  It a simple wipe on, wipe off product, doesn't need curing time.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2014, 22:52 »
A finishing pad.  It a simple wipe on, wipe off product, doesn't need curing time.

Sorry dude i disagree.. for me finishing pads are for glaze/resin/liquid wax and some paste waxes - e.g finishing products not pre-wax cleaners.

Cheers.

In the photo's i posted I did apply this with a DA. It can be done by hand by all means however I much preferred doing it by DA, as it will be able to clean much more powerfully than my hands.

I would use a pad with a very light cutting ability.. they're perfect for pre-wax cleansers as they are soft enough to not try and polish, but stiff enough to give it a really good scrub!

In my example I used Chemical Guy's Hexlogic White - has a light cut to it, just enough to really scrub out the dirt and grime my hands and even clay bar couldnt get to. the same pad would be perfect for the non-lite version which has abrasives.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2014, 23:30 »
Sorry dude i disagree.. for me finishing pads are for glaze/resin/liquid wax and some paste waxes - e.g finishing products not pre-wax cleaners.

We'll agree to disagree mate  :wink:

LPL is a cleanser glaze containing glazing oils as well as non abrasive cleansers and as such it's better suited for use with a finishing pad imo.  In fact it's just as easy to apply by hand and buff off with a microfibre.  It's really designed to be used AFTER you've polished as a final prep before wax application.  It's ideal for removing all traces of polish and to give a lovely slick surface ready for the wax.  With no abrasives, there's little to be gained by using it with a pad with any cutting ability.

It's personal choice of course.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2014, 16:17 »

We'll agree to disagree mate  :wink:

LPL is a cleanser glaze containing glazing oils as well as non abrasive cleansers and as such it's better suited for use with a finishing pad imo.  In fact it's just as easy to apply by hand and buff off with a microfibre.  It's really designed to be used AFTER you've polished as a final prep before wax application.  It's ideal for removing all traces of polish and to give a lovely slick surface ready for the wax.  With no abrasives, there's little to be gained by using it with a pad with any cutting ability.

It's personal choice of course.

Fair enough mate! That's kinda what I like about detailing and cars in general.. a million ways to build em, clean em, detail them, and everyone has their own favorite thing/way  :smiley:

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2014, 21:14 »
Lime prime. One of my favorites.
:)

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2014, 20:19 »
You'll be glad to know there's another one on the way for medium cutting called LP plus.