Author Topic: 16V Conversion  (Read 2667 times)

Offline missvdubluv

• Not said much yet
16V Conversion
« on: 10 February 2004, 10:09 »
Okey dokey......as well as my GTI, I also own this beasty, trouble is its only a 1.3 driver, I really want some more power, so Ive been considering doing a 16v conversion, has anyone, done this before?Does anyone have any thoughts on this

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:16V Conversion
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2004, 11:12 »
Well its possible, but quite a lot of work is involved. The smaller engines i.e 1.1 and 1.3 are mounted in the engine bay at a different angle to the larger engines i.e 1.8 and 16V. Consequently the left hand engine mount (as you look at the engine bay) is in a different place..........I had a donor car and cut the bracket out of the chassis on that and welded it into the correct position on the project car.
Gearbox, gear linkage, drive shafts, wiring loom, exhaust even the radiator will all be different and also you'll need to install the electric fuel pump, accumulator etc.
I would, at the very least, consider buying a donor mk1 GTI for parts.

Offline missvdubluv

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2004, 11:58 »
Hmm....well I have been offered a complete valver ;D, but was told I would need the box and wiring loom from a corrado ???

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2004, 12:02 »
bout me and my gti wud that be easy(er) to fit a 16v?

was lookin at a g60 lump but not sure  :-\
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2004, 12:57 »
Easier if you already have a GTI as you already have the fuel injection components fitted (fuel pump, accumulator), loom will need a lot less (if any) modifying, gearbox is physically the same so driveshafts and linkage shouldn't be a problem and the engine mounts will be ok.
G60 lump won't be too much of a problem either.......certainly much easier to convert a 1.8 8v GTI to 16V or G60 than trying to convert a 1.3 driver to the same...........but thats not to say it can't be done.......and I'm sure it has been 8)

Offline rustynuts

• Here all the time
  • God is a DJ
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2004, 23:20 »
It will be lots of work as said as you need all those bits, is it worth just going out and buying a Gti with a view to 16v power?

Offline missvdubluv

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2004, 12:45 »
lol Steve if I had the money I would, but as Im being given the car and all the work is being done for free (eventually ::)) what would you do ??? ;D

Offline felix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2004, 17:45 »
i have a mk 1.6 gti exactly how much work is it to fit a mk2 1.8 16v engine?
And has anyone got an engine for sale ?
« Last Edit: 14 February 2004, 17:47 by felix »

Offline rustynuts

• Here all the time
  • God is a DJ
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2004, 18:04 »
I think it is a fair amount of work to be honest. I will send you a email with a document i have.

Offline steeley-r

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2004, 18:32 »
I think it is a fair amount of work to be honest. I will send you a email with a document i have.
Is it at all possible do forward a copy of 16v conversion to me please? I am considering undertaking same conversion with my 1.8 mk1. :) :) :) :)
Mk1 Lhasa Green Driveway Ornament!