Author Topic: 1.9 MK1 GTI Newbie  (Read 3926 times)

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
1.9 MK1 GTI Newbie
« on: 28 June 2004, 15:47 »
My first car was a MK2 Golf, then a MK3 GTI... a few cars later, I am selling my MK4 GTTDI as I have just bought a MK1 GTI!!! Talk about working your way up... the other way around!! But this MK1 is a beauty! It has a 1.9 engine and really does shift. The quickest and oldest Golf I have owned. Unfortunately I know very little about cars so no doubt will be posting questions to the fountain of knowledge here and be asking for advice. By the way, does anyone else here have a MK1 1.9 GTI and be able to provide rough estimates for BHP and 0-60? I haven't had mine out yet as I need to get tax and insurance, so it's gonna be locked away for a couple of weeks. Gives me a chance to iron out those niggly bits!

Gee  :)
Happiness is a good health and a bad memory.

marcus123

Re:1.9 MK1 GTI Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2004, 16:12 »
what kind of engine has it got in it?

is it a bored out mk2 engine or somthing?
is it 16valve? ???

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2004, 16:21 »
Possibly another Thurrock engine, I know they do a 1.9 and it is about 130BHP.
Wewlcome to the site, by the way. I am sure you will find it most friendly and full of valuable advice. Best sticking in the MK1 section - these young whippersnappers often feel threatened by us mk1 owners  ;) only kidding! ;D
Get yourself some pics posted in the gallery and have a look around as there are plenty of great mk1's in there.
Ads
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2004, 16:31 »
I had a mk1 with a 1.9TSR engine with a pack C head. Pushed out 145bhp, 0-60 under 7 seconds!!

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2004, 16:38 »
 :D

It's a 1.9 engine by TSR. Was replaced about 40k ago but the car really does move! No idea how many valves though... anyone got any ideas? Sorry, bit blonde when it comes to the technical details!  :P

The car has loads of history and paperwork, and hopefully will have more details about the engine within that. Not really looked at anything since buying the car. Was an impulse by as it was in such nice condition inside and out, and for the price I couldn't say no!  ;) It was resprayed a couple of years ago, but there are 2 tiny bits of rust on it. Nothing major. When the spraying was done, the black stripes were removed and the guy I bought the car off has given me new stickers. But bot too sure of where they go! I have seen some MK1's with a think stripe on the side with a thinner strip below it (which are the sticker I have), but no idea how they look on the back! Anyone got pics of their's back/side that I could see?

Was also give a few bits with the car, i.e. bumpers which I might have to put on eBay  ;)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2004, 16:49 »
Welcome to the site matey, sounds like a top motor you have there, funny how you did the Golf rounds but ended up with the best one eventually  ;D
......now officially dubless.

Offline 386

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2004, 17:20 »
Wahey!! Another person new to the Mk1 game! :D

From what I've found out so far, you've chosen the right forum!  8)

Sounds like a don car u got goin on!

Show us the pics!
« Last Edit: 28 June 2004, 17:20 by 386 »

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Dinky

« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2004, 20:25 »
Hey gee
Welcome to the forum! ;D

these young whippersnappers often feel threatened by us mk1 owners  
God Ads,how old did that make u sound!,well suppose u r like! lol  ;D

Dinx  :-*

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2004, 21:55 »
Another modified MK1 :o, is there any standard mk1's around ;).
Welcome to the thinking golf drivers forum ;).
Steve.

Offline gee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2004, 13:08 »
Well if anything, it does look standard, and the alloys have been reconditioned too. Just need to get the stickers/stripes on the side, some tax, insurance and I'll be ready to go ;) Will have to get some pics up too once I have Autoglym'ed it  :P