Author Topic: any insurance experts out there?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
any insurance experts out there?
« on: 11 July 2009, 22:11 »
I have a simple question (hopefully)

So i took out a policy (10 month accelerator) in April and it is due for a renewal in FEB 2010.

I payed about 600 for this. I will however be changing to a GTi hopefully in DECEMBER 2009.

So my problems are:

I dont want to lose a years no claim bonus just for the sake of two months, where wil i stand? Would i still get the no claims bonus if i take out another policy with the gti (however this will be more expensive because I wont have the no claims bonus)

I know this is complicated, but hopefully someone out there whos not an idiot like me can tell me the situation I will be in! :smiley: :nerd: :embarassed:

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
Re: any insurance experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2009, 15:16 »
Have you tried phoning the insurance company to ask them? Most are open to negotiation, but I guess it will depend on each company's specific ideals. Can't hurt to ask.  :smiley:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2009, 17:34 »
If it was Admiral/Bell/Elephant, they will allow you to change your insurance over to the new car, and you'll pay the difference which will be what 2 months would of cost if you took out the 10 month policy from the beginning.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2009, 14:44 »
If it was Admiral/Bell/Elephant, they will allow you to change your insurance over to the new car, and you'll pay the difference which will be what 2 months would of cost if you took out the 10 month policy from the beginning.

Are you suggesting you cancel a policy because you are changing car...?   :shocked:

That really isn't necessary and as an example, I did this very same thing with Elephant about five months ago.

I had to pay an extra £262 over the life of the policy, which was about ten months, from memory.  :nerd:

MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2009, 14:49 »
I moved from Elephant to Greenlight and Greenlight very kindly accepted my 10 months as 1 years no claim. Winner :D

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2009, 16:04 »

Are you suggesting you cancel a policy because you are changing car...?   :shocked:

That really isn't necessary and as an example, I did this very same thing with Elephant about five months ago.

I had to pay an extra £262 over the life of the policy, which was about ten months, from memory.  :nerd:

No I mean they switch your policy over to the new car, continuing from what you had but you pay the difference of what remains for the new policy. As if you were running it from new.