Author Topic: DPF in's and out's (although from USA)  (Read 5366 times)

Offline andyr

• GTI forum regular
DPF in's and out's (although from USA)
« on: 20 July 2011, 09:33 »
I'm assuming *some* if not most of this article applies to our GTD's and most newer diesel vehicles?? (perhaps not the Adblue system?)
An interesting read, but where once second hand diesel cars at 120K miles were considered 'just run in' and a good cost effective buy, the newer models will require either new/recon DPF's or at least the original one cleaned..... At what price??

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

Thoughts anyone??......
Mk VI Black Pearl GTD.... No Frills, replaced a Black Pearl PD150 Bora, which in turn replaced a Dragon Green VR6 which followed a Dusty Mauve MK III 8v Gti.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: DPF in's and out's (although from USA)
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2011, 15:41 »
I think its a matter of years down the line you don't actually need the DPF as its not part of the MOT emissions you would put a replacement pipe in there as you can do now. You would have to get a tuner to remove the DPF from the ecu so it doesn't look for it?

DPF Delete
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2011, 22:46 »
The latest DPF VW's with common rail injection are far a more robust system than the PD variants so you may find they last longer.

I think that by the time these common rail diesels need a new DPF the cost for replacement will have come down anyway also as Keith has pointed out you can remove a problematic DPF and replace it with a DPF delete pipe as long as you also modify the software in the ECU.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2011, 23:24 »
On a closely related topic, the diesel I put in my car last night had 8% biodiesel in it (Esso). Will this cause any problems?  I wouldn't imagine so as it is a relatively weak solution.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline andyr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2011, 10:40 »
The latest DPF VW's with common rail injection are far a more robust system than the PD variants so you may find they last longer.

I think that by the time these common rail diesels need a new DPF the cost for replacement will have come down anyway also as Keith has pointed out you can remove a problematic DPF and replace it with a DPF delete pipe as long as you also modify the software in the ECU.

Yes, I suppose it'll be like replacement CAT's, when they first came out, the cost of a replacement (IIRC) was in the thousands, now I think you can pick one up for some variants of the Mk III/IV Golf for under £100!

I understand what you say about delete pipes and software mod's, but I was just thinking along the lines of future Joe Public who ain't got a clue (and don't want one! a clue, that is).......

Just wondering is all and what others thought  :rolleyes:
Mk VI Black Pearl GTD.... No Frills, replaced a Black Pearl PD150 Bora, which in turn replaced a Dragon Green VR6 which followed a Dusty Mauve MK III 8v Gti.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2011, 00:26 »
On a closely related topic, the diesel I put in my car last night had 8% biodiesel in it (Esso). Will this cause any problems?  I wouldn't imagine so as it is a relatively weak solution.

Should be ok, it says no bio diesel in the fuel filler flap but I presume that means 100%?

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2011, 22:34 »
Usually most fuel injection systems are ok for ~10% biodiesel. They can accept more, but usually the manufacturer (OEM) has to specify to the supplier (Tier1) that they want an alternative seals package to cover it.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2011, 22:39 »
Thanks mate  :wink:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2011, 23:04 »
NP :cool:

FYI for all who read this: Basically the system components (i.e. all the metal bits) are fine running what ever blend, however it's the pressures/temps/viscosity/chemical makeup of the fuels you put through them that affect the rubber (oil) based components in the system as they will over time break down unless changed for something else i.e. viton or nitrile (which are generally green coloured)