Author Topic: Feeling a little left behind.....  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Feeling a little left behind.....
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2021, 14:54 »
Now did I say boring old fart in there anywhere?  :grin:
Sensible.
You’re sensible.
But thankfully not too sensible.
Mature.
But thankfully not too mature.
And I’ve always liked your car choices.  :smiley:
Although with the SUV order I did begin to think your brother had influenced you a bit too far  :grin:
(Superb looking cars though they are, I pass one parked up every day)

Being as you don’t have teenage or twenty something kids to keep you on your toes and strip you of your hard earned savings I thought it my duty to add my irreverent and irrelevant view into this sea of sensibility  :whistle:

Three ears are better than none!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2021, 15:46 »
If stick to the main routes it seems high capacity charging is not too hard to find from this video https://youtu.be/6Q6arK1vluI and so by time bought self a twix and a can of something you have 3/4 filled up in old terms.

Not averse to electric, but would want something that has some performance to it in looks as well as drive, as some of these screens with cars built around them are pretty sterile.

There is hope though, as there is enough evidence out there to performance electric certainly being more than achievable

For me to jump in truly i would need to be able to pull in an electric station, and be out again in not much time than takes now, and with about the same mileage get now on a tank 280-340 and without the worry that these charging points are only on main routes and that if go off piste a little there still be opportunity to recharge,

This is the UK, many areas do not have off road parking and then there is the latest version of 70's living with flats popping up everywhere, so whats needed is fuel stations to change to charge stations with same turnaround to truly enable electric.

Its inevitable that the GTI becomes a modern classic, out for weekends at £20 a gallon and our main drive will be an EV, and will succumb to that, just not for a while yet.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2021, 02:48 »

Balls to over complicated next generation cars, balls to work and all the crap and idiots that come with it, balls to people on the Internet with big turbos that I have nothing in common with, and hello great outdoors, camera in hand, fresh air in lungs and making the best of every moment of every day before the reaper comes looking.

This should be pinned to the top of each thread.  Best general life advice I've seen on any forum, let alone a car one!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2021, 10:16 »
I've just paid my 2017 off and there's nothing out there which takes my fancy at all.
19k miles so just run in, got over 40mpg on a run last weekend.
It'll be packed full of camping gear, 3 bikes on the roof, 3 up ready for Silverstone classic.
Then emptied and ready for quick blasts around the country roads.
What other car can do this!!!!
It's a keeper
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2021, 10:55 »

it does 95% of everything I like from a car. It’s big enough for 5, has a decent stereo, still looks pretty good, will do 40mpg on a run and is great fun on the twisties if you get the chance.

And that’s not a great car? You don’t ask for much, do you!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2021, 12:28 »
The first is easily sorted. Turn the stereo up to sort the second!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2021, 14:41 »
Ear #3 for sure, great advice as always from Dear Deidre Exonian  :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2021, 11:51 »
I've just popped back for a look around after being elsewhere talking about Tiguans and Transporters and stumbled across this dilemma.

As some of you will know, I have a one previous owner and (even if I do say so myself) pretty nice Mk2 GTI 16V. Now that car gets quite a bit of acknowledgment from those that know and appreciate it. I've thought of selling it many times as I don't use it anywhere near enough, but never follow it through because I know that once it's gone, it's gone.

For my car to become a 31 year old 'survivor' it's needed to get through the times when its previous owner may have been tempted by newer, shinier Mk3s and Mk4s. It could well have changed hands many times for little money and be treated pretty much as a disposable item, but it didn't.

What you have in your care now is a perfect example of what could become a very sought after future modern classic. One owner, low mileage, high spec, exceptional condition. It would be a keeper for me.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.