Author Topic: Struggle to find a GTI PP  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Struggle to find a GTI PP
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2021, 10:01 »
I took ages to find my GTi, only really wanted a VW approved one so was constantly on the website, nothing fancy as I was going to keep my car until it dies, so blue, standard wheels (cheaper tyres), nice tartan seats and all of the other options I wanted were standard on the late 2019's... the only option I would have liked was the heated front screen (wanted for heat reflection rather than defrosting) but for a £300 option no one really spec'd it so I had no joy.

Luckily one came to a dealer part on my local franchise so they drove it over and I bought it.

But it did take a long time to find one and the timing were just right between the two lock-downs.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2021, 10:34 »
I wanted a manual and it took me a while to find one with low mileage at a sensible price before the huge price hikes. Late 2019 eventually came up standard spec 2 year vw warranty 3.5k miles but has everything I wanted. The ride is fine without dcc for me.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2021, 11:50 »
I think finding the one, in your preferred colour with all the options you want is gonna be difficult.

I looked at a few before getting mine and I think you just have to be prepared to get the one (without 19s, or whatever, for example) if it ticks all the other boxes or else you may find yourself looking for something that may never come up for sale.

I was extremely lucky when I got my Clubsport as its got all the goodies on it, in a colour I like and is in cracking condition.
I'm glad my Mrs prompted me to reserve it when I did or I'd have missed out.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2021, 12:18 »
Mines for sale but is above your budget and doesn't meet the colour, DCC or Budget requirements but is high spec and well looked after.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2021, 12:26 »
 Certainly if money is right I would insider my own it’s dec18 with all options except dcc and has 22000 miles might not  suit tho

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2021, 12:37 »
If low mileage is a priority, then I’d buy on condition, mileage and service history and be prepared to forego some of the ‘must have’ options - the standard spec is pretty good and the GTI certainly isn’t a poverty spec car. The more flexible the OP can be on their ‘must have’ options, the more likely they’ll be able to find a really good example that ticks most of their boxes.

Wheels can easily be changed from 19” to 18”. If the OP finds a car that fits most of their requirements but it doesn’t have DCC, they may find after a test drive that the standard suspension is fine and that DCC would be a ‘nice to have’ rather than a ‘must have’. On the subject of Dynaudio; for cars without Dynaudio, VW used to offer a Helix subwoofer on the mk7 Golf as an aftermarket upgrade to the standard infotainment system and I think it was pretty much plug and play; I’m not sure if it’s compatible with the mk7.5 Golf though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2021, 12:51 »
If low mileage is a priority, then I’d buy on condition, mileage and service history and be prepared to forego some of the ‘must have’ options - the standard spec is pretty good and the GTI certainly isn’t a poverty spec car. The more flexible the OP can be on their ‘must have’ options, the more likely they’ll be able to find a really good example that ticks most of their boxes.

Wheels can easily be changed from 19” to 18”. If the OP finds a car that fits most of their requirements but it doesn’t have DCC, they may find after a test drive that the standard suspension is fine and that DCC would be a ‘nice to have’ rather than a ‘must have’. On the subject of Dynaudio; for cars without Dynaudio, VW used to offer a Helix subwoofer on the mk7 Golf as an aftermarket upgrade to the standard infotainment system and I think it was pretty much plug and play; I’m not sure if it’s compatible with the mk7.5 Golf though.

The helix does work with the 7.5 it's got a slightly different loom, it's about 80-90% of the Dynaudio IMO, I wouldn't be put off a car without Dynaudio.

I totally agree cars should be bought on condition there's plenty of low miled PCP cars that have been treated poorly and plenty of high miled cars that were loved regularly!

The only thing I chased on the mk7 was a performance pack, sunroof and no black or flat white cars, they're a lovely car even in the most standard form, everything else is just a bonus!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2021, 13:52 »
The helix does work with the 7.5 it's got a slightly different loom, it's about 80-90% of the Dynaudio IMO, I wouldn't be put off a car without Dynaudio.

I totally agree cars should be bought on condition there's plenty of low miled PCP cars that have been treated poorly and plenty of high miled cars that were loved regularly!

The only thing I chased on the mk7 was a performance pack, sunroof and no black or flat white cars, they're a lovely car even in the most standard form, everything else is just a bonus!

Lack of Dynaudio wouldn’t put me off either. I had it in my mk6 GTD and I must say I was somewhat underwhelmed by it. I found it was fine if you like lots of base and enjoy listening to music at high volume, but that’s not for me these days. I was also having to constantly adjust the bass, mid and treble (I just like to set and leave). I dare say the next generation Dynaudio in the mk7 / mk7.5 is no doubt an improvement over the previous generation version in the mk6, but I’ve not missed not having it. The Dynaudio logo’d tweeter grilles looked good though :grin:.

I didn’t spec the Beats upgrade in my Polo GTI+ either (I understand the Beats upgrade is also bass-heavy), and IMO a car isn’t the best environment to listen to music and fully appreciate it - I’ll do that at home with the absence of tyre and engine noise in the background.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2021, 14:52 »
I've always driven Golfs over different marks, when I decided to buy my first GTi I thought 'yeah no problem' there's loads out there... but guess what, even though I was told they are common I only see two occasionally on my daily work run... compare that to the ten-a-penny M3's!
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Carlos67

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2021, 16:58 »
Thanks for all your replies and advice chaps (and gals?). I'm beginning to accept that any used GTI will come with 1 or 2 compromises. My red lines though are condition and colour. Of all the colours I think black suits the GTI best and when buffed up and clean really looks premium. HOWEVER! black not for me as my current A-class is black and it's a pig to keep clean and even when clean, shows all the swirl marks when the sun comes out 🙄. A real PIA.

I'm looking to trade mine in to save on hassle and have been offered around £19.5k for mine (was 17.5k only 12 months ago) by Motorway and WBAC. So, looking to spend £5.5 -6k cash plus mine. I would really like the pan roof but have read about issues such as rattles and leaks on them. Anyone with panroofs - have you experienced these issues?

Finally, don't want a club sport as increased nickability, higher ins, lower MPG etc etc - same reason as not wanting an R. Just want something me + Mrs can drive sensibly 80% of the time and have a bit of fun the other 20%. From all the reviews I've watched on the 7.5 GTI PP they conclude that it's the best all rounder and that unless you're a track dude or a true enthusiast, it's all the performance Golf you need.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2021, 17:03 by Carlos67 »