Author Topic: Buying a used car? Check it out more fully than HPI checks.  (Read 821 times)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
I have recently discovered this Facebook page which tracks down cars which have been crashed & repaired, some stolen & recovered, some cloned, some "clocked", but almost all having their previous "damage" hidden & being sold on at either private sales, auctions, small dealers & even main VW dealers!

https://www.facebook.com/dodgycarsuk/?ref=page_internal

Loads of MK7 Golf GTD/GTI/R appear on this page!

The information the Admin gets is from the insurance sites such as "Vcheck" here:-

https://www.vcheck.uk/

Although it is legal to fully repair & sell a fixed car, some of this info will NOT show in an HPI check & main dealers know this!

« Last Edit: 26 July 2021, 12:07 by golfdave »

Offline joe6

• I live here
Shocked to see vw main dealers in dodgy cars listing. If insurers repair a vehicle it ought to be registered by the insurers but obviously does not always happen. Expect even honest dealers can be caught out.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Shocked to see vw main dealers in dodgy cars listing. If insurers repair a vehicle it ought to be registered by the insurers but obviously does not always happen. Expect even honest dealers can be caught out.

So was I..!!

That link to vcheck...go to the home page & they list all the various combinations of why certain damage may or may not be properly reported, & why certain other reports may/will not show it.....quite an eye opener!!

The last time I had my eyes opened that much was when a VW dealer stated to me that they are "legally" allowed to repair 3 panels (situation of my new car damaged in transit from port) without informing the customer!!... :shocked:

That was about 20+yrs ago, but from what I know it still stands.. :sad: