Author Topic: Advice re wheel change please  (Read 5826 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Advice re wheel change please
« Reply #40 on: 09 June 2021, 11:43 »
That seems insane. How is "properly inflated" defined? Per the door sticker?

Another quick question - these cars check the tyre pressure through ABS (?), which means we have to tell them when the tyres are correctly inflated. What happens if we were to set it super low, and then say they are set correctly? Would the alert go off straight away? Or is it checking for a difference in behaviour from the set pressure?

That's a few questions, sorry

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 09 June 2021, 12:13 »
That seems insane. How is "properly inflated" defined? Per the door sticker?

Another quick question - these cars check the tyre pressure through ABS (?), which means we have to tell them when the tyres are correctly inflated. What happens if we were to set it super low, and then say they are set correctly? Would the alert go off straight away? Or is it checking for a difference in behaviour from the set pressure?

That's a few questions, sorry

The indirect TPMS system on the Golf monitors the rotational speed of the wheels, and if there’s a drop in pressure in one tyre (e.g. if there’s a puncture) the wheel with the punctured tyre will rotate at a different speed to the others and the low pressure warning will be triggered. So if all the tyres were set at, say 5 psi below VW’s recommended pressures then the TPMS wouldn’t trigger a low pressure warning unless one tyre lost pressure so the wheel rotated at a different speed to the others.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 09 June 2021, 12:42 »
Ok, so theoretically I could set my 19s to 36PSI, update the car, and it wouldn't constantly bing at me?

Is 36PSI good for 19inch wheels?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 09 June 2021, 13:46 »
Ok, so theoretically I could set my 19s to 36PSI, update the car, and it wouldn't constantly bing at me?

I’ve never tried it, but assume it wouldn’t.

I don’t have 19” wheels, so I’ll leave that for those forum members who do have 19’s to respond.

Have a read of this current thread - https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287767.10#msg2639687. Forum member Talk-torque is running 35psi all round in 19’s on their car.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2021, 13:49 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 09 June 2021, 21:00 »

I have mine running 36 and it doesn't bing, pretty certain the TPMS just measure any change from what you set it at.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 09 June 2021, 21:32 »
As SR explains, it's a simple system, there is nothing measuring actual pressure - no sensors within the tyre.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity