Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 374257 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1440 on: 03 November 2012, 13:32 »
"some things i wouldnt agree with you on are the stereo and the mpg. for 250bhp to get 40mpg on a run to aberdeen and back is excellent. my cooper s and clio sport would struggle to reach 26mpg regardless on how i drove it."

I think you miss understood me, it's unbelievable that they get 40mpg at a constant 70mph its just the guilt when it drops to 25mpg when your not thinking about economy and driving it like a gti, that's what I found anyway. If I remember correctly mine was doing 30mpg @ 90mph, next time somebody's out see what it says at 90mph with the cruise on for a while please.

The problem with light cars is you die when you crash, that's why cars are havier nowadays. Also build quality and materials suffers, that's what Japanese cars are for, but no thanks. Give me a fatty with a big engine and some solid trim and panels.

i agree with car safety being a priority when buying a car.

one reason i chose the golf was the safety rating for backseat passangers is just about the best in class i think. its obviously a huge selling point when you have kids

the thing im getting at with weight is the way manufacturers seem to be fitting more and more crap every model year.

the likes of noise makers for the engine, electronic handbrakes etc are totally unnecessary and add weight and cost to car and are of absolutely no benefit to the owner. puddle lights? never once needed them. heated mirrors? never once used them. all unnecessary really.

cars seem to be chasing low emissions nowadays with fancy engine but if they just were more sensible with the add ons which do nothing they could save a shed load of weight, lower emissions and make the car better in every way.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1443 on: 04 November 2012, 22:19 »
Don't  really fancy that. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a bit until the depreciation levels out a bit.

If I were to change now I would lose £1 per mile driven in depreciation alone. Just can stomach that.

In the mean time I might try removing the clutch restrictor in the bleed block and see if that improves the pedal feel and maybe try a DTE pedal box to improve throttle pedal response.

If they work and I can fix the rattling passenger footwell then i will be happy with it.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1444 on: 05 November 2012, 10:46 »
Don't  really fancy that. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a bit until the depreciation levels out a bit.

If I were to change now I would lose £1 per mile driven in depreciation alone. Just can stomach that.

In the mean time I might try removing the clutch restrictor in the bleed block and see if that improves the pedal feel and maybe try a DTE pedal box to improve throttle pedal response.

If they work and I can fix the rattling passenger footwell then i will be happy with it.

I feel for you matey, there's nothing worse than feeling "welded" into a car you don't like

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1445 on: 05 November 2012, 11:12 »
yeah i wish i could love the car but just cant. i think if i could just sort those niggles out it would make all the difference though.

been looking at the pistonheads video and the new EVO ecoty dvd and that bmw 135m is very tempting. i wont be rushing into spending that sort of money on a hatchback again though.

was on the configure site and i specced it as i would in reality (quite basic other than tinted glass, blue paint, harman karden speakers and the 8 speed auto) and it came out at about £32500 or so.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1446 on: 05 November 2012, 11:26 »
Saw my first 135i on the road this morning. :smiley:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #1447 on: 05 November 2012, 15:10 »
yeah i wish i could love the car but just cant. i think if i could just sort those niggles out it would make all the difference though.

been looking at the pistonheads video and the new EVO ecoty dvd and that bmw 135m is very tempting. i wont be rushing into spending that sort of money on a hatchback again though.

was on the configure site and i specced it as i would in reality (quite basic other than tinted glass, blue paint, harman karden speakers and the 8 speed auto) and it came out at about £32500 or so.

Will got about £3700 of his making it even better value, spec being Auto box, H/K HiFi, Cruise, Met paint, magic suspension etc was less than £31K and I'll be getting the same if I order one for March delivery, I went to order mine weeks ago but had a dispute at the garage so went off it for a bit and picked up a cheap 123d to get me about which I love btw.

Either way I'll have a play in Wills one which will be here in December before I order mine now.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #1448 on: 05 November 2012, 15:11 »
Saw my first 135i on the road this morning. :smiley:

Was it going sideways into every parked car that it drove past?  :grin:

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1449 on: 05 November 2012, 17:49 »
So they're discounting the 135m already? Interesting

I might go and take a proper look and get a price to change out of interest.