Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 554462 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1240 on: 09 July 2017, 19:27 »
:angry:

Yes of course the filler cap gets attention, it goes without saying.  :laugh:  Aerospace 303 is its friend.  :wink:

Oh dear! I should've just done it and not asked :embarrassed: I'm not sure I'm up to all this detailing malarkiness :undecided: :laugh:

But you did ask. :laugh:  Why the embarrassment? I'm only teasing. I do the filler cap by hand along with the bodywork with wash mitt, them dry off as we all know its one of the much loved water traps, then it gets a lick of dressing (303) just to restore the colour.  Any decent rubber treatment is good for it, or just give it a wipe out with a damp cloth.  How far you go is up to you.  :smiley:

+1 for cleaning inside the filler cap each time I wash my car. As my Polo has the hard black plastic wheel arch liners (not the carpet type) inside the rear arches as well as the front, all the arch liners also get a good clean each time the car gets cleaned. :smiley:

It's getting worse! Still, what the eye can't see :whistle:

But the brain knows it's there. Left untouched and wallowing in filth whilst the bits you can see sparkle  :cry:  :wink:

Watts, now don't tell me that next time you wash your car, you won't think about washing your wheel arch liners now that the seed has been planted. Oh, and don't forget the inside of the exhaust tailpipes :grin:
« Last Edit: 09 July 2017, 19:30 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1241 on: 09 July 2017, 19:31 »

Hi Booth11, your car looks amazing! Which pre wash snow foam do you use first?

Hi, I use ValetPro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1087

It's very very effective stuff and is a little less shaving foamy than some which means it clings long enough to encapsulate the dirt but then runs off properly taking the muck away with it. 

I also follow it with ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash which I use as a second phase pre-wash to further deep cleanse before letting loose with a bucket and mitt.  It means that much of the work is done in a 'touchless' method meaning much less work to do with a mitt and therefore reducing the risk of swirls at the mitt stage.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=728

Been using this 2-step pre wash approach for a few months now and have to say the car is the cleanest it's ever been and cleaner that any other car I've had.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wolfie67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1242 on: 09 July 2017, 19:40 »

Hi, I use ValetPro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1087

It's very very effective stuff and is a little less shaving foamy than some which means it clings long enough to encapsulate the dirt but then runs off properly taking the muck away with it. 

I also follow it with ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash which I use as a second phase pre-wash to further deep cleanse before letting loose with a bucket and mitt.  It means that much of the work is done in a 'touchless' method meaning much less work to do with a mitt and therefore reducing the risk of swirls at the mitt stage.

Been using this 2-step pre wash approach for a few months now and have to say the car is the cleanest it's ever been and cleaner that any other car I've had.

Thanks for the info. I will take your advice and try it out.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1243 on: 09 July 2017, 19:46 »
While we're at it do people dry their wheels? I don't but I don't wash the car at home so the short spin home does the trick.

In this photo the car has covered about 50 miles so there is some dust on it.

« Last Edit: 09 July 2017, 19:49 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1244 on: 09 July 2017, 19:50 »
:angry:
It's getting worse! Still, what the eye can't see :whistle:

But the brain knows it's there. Left untouched and wallowing in filth whilst the bits you can see sparkle  :cry:  :wink:

Watts, now don't tell me that next time you wash your car, you won't think about washing your wheel arch liners now that the seed has been planted. Oh, and don't forget the inside of the exhaust tailpipes :grin:

I do clean the edges but not much further. BUT, I do clean inside the exhaust just not too far.
Anyway, some of us have to go to work now so I'm off before someone tells me to clean the engine bay :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #1245 on: 09 July 2017, 20:01 »
Washed it.  Last done two weeks ago and a fair bit of summer detritus on it.  Hot out there today with the full sun.  Usual double pre-wash with VP Advanced snow foam and VP Citrus pre wash.  Wheels washed and 2 bucket wash.  Dried, then all glass done with with Obsessive Detail Glass Cleaner and sealed with OD Rain Repellent sealant, bar the windscreen which got Gtechniq C2 as did the wheels. Tyres dressed with Achem Hi Shine and tailpipes usual Mother Mag & Aluminum treatment.

All done.

A bit of DBP flake in the sun

stunning as usual ....great pics too.. :wink:

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1246 on: 10 July 2017, 09:16 »

With the PA lance I ended up winding the dilution adjustment all the way to end of minus marker (fully clockwise nozzle facing away from you) to get what I thought was an effective clingy foam?... had about 1.5" of Auto Finesse Avalanche solution in the bottle topped up with cool water. Not tried any other foams yet so I'll try tweaking things next time, possibly had it too thick.....took me half hour to jet the foam off the drive afterwards  :laugh:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1247 on: 10 July 2017, 09:37 »
While we're at it do people dry their wheels? I don't but I don't wash the car at home so the short spin home does the trick.

You must dry your wheels, otherwise rust particles off the brake discs will get held in the moisture left on the wheels. This will cause reddish brown streaks inside the wheels.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1248 on: 10 July 2017, 09:46 »

I must admit in the past I haven't always dried off wheels and relied on taking it for a spin but after joining the forum I found WoWo site and ordered a few things including wheel drying towel which I used first time at weekend, really pleased with it. I guess it depends on how much time you've got when cleaning and if you're being stared at by your other half waiting to go out!  :whistle:
What I've found useful for cleaning wheels is the wheel woolies brush kit set from CYC, the smallest one perfectly fits the little groove I have on mine just behind the spokes that runs round the rim, flexible handles mean I can get all way round without too much knuckle damage.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1249 on: 10 July 2017, 09:48 »

You must dry your wheels, otherwise rust particles off the brake discs will get held in the moisture left on the wheels. This will cause reddish brown streaks inside the wheels.

Ah right, I'll start drying them in that case although I can't see anything on the inside of the wheels, they are shiny black.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17