Author Topic: Clubsport Testdrive  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport Testdrive
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2021, 16:28 »
Thanks Andy. Making a lot of sense as always.

Yeah the throttle response stood out as being much better imo. Far more responsive.

I really liked the lack of the gear stick and the tiny selector instead. It actually frees up space and works exceptionally well.

I was looking to change to an Ed45 which would mean changing far sooner than planned but I think it’ll stick with what I have for now at least.

That’s one thing taking tests drives do remind you of sometimes - just how good your current car is!
Your R is pretty much perfect (colour, spec, everything else) so it’s good to see you’re going to hang on to it for longer. My example of car swapping isn’t something I’d recommend!

Maybe in a year or two we will see some improvements to the UI and the addition of bigger paddle shifters on the Clubby. Then again an 8R might also be tempting!

Thank you for such an honest appraisal and  comparison of the 7/7.5 vs 8. This forum really needs  "like" button for such valuable posts.

I didn’t think my post would be of actual use to anyone so your post surprised me a bit. But thank you for your kind words. I was literally just doing the typing equivalent of thinking out loud.

I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason
I obviously don’t drive mine anywhere near hard enough as I’ve never suffered this.
I do get occasional torque steer though when overtaking on country roads.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2021, 16:40 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

That’s an interesting point. I’m sure I’ve heard a reviewer comment on that too. Can’t remember who though!

Me I think :huh:

MK7 GTi

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2021, 16:49 »
I've now been in a R and clubby. Honestly wish I held out for a clubby instead of just buying the standard but it does me fine. I find all traction controls on the clubby holds the power back for some reason

That’s an interesting point. I’m sure I’ve heard a reviewer comment on that too. Can’t remember who though!

Then well played  sir!

I’ll definitely go back for another test drive as I can’t really judge it in the time given. At the end of the day I love a gti so it’s probably what I’ll end up in. As I said earlier, I think the emergence of the Ed45 just pushed my test drive forward, otherwise I would have waited another year. Although I also factored in the long lead times too which don’t bother me this time as I’m in no hurry.

I forgot to mention the seats. Wow! The fabric is absolutely lovely (well the honeycomb bit anyway) and they’re exceptionally comfy. Steering wheel also felt great and I really liked the haptic buttons. My comment on the infotainment was really reserved for the sliders which didn’t work at all. It’ll just take time to acclimatise yourself to the rest.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2021, 03:24 »

Thank you for such an honest appraisal and  comparison of the 7/7.5 vs 8. This forum really needs  "like" button for such valuable posts.

I didn’t think my post would be of actual use to anyone so your post surprised me a bit. But thank you for your kind words. I was literally just doing the typing equivalent of thinking out loud.

Perhaps it is just me, but I found your musings highly valuable.  Firstly, from your previous posts I've gleaned that  we're very much on the same page in terms of likes/dislikes. Secondly, you have a lot of experience with the 7/7.5 GTIs to draw upon in your comparative assessment of the mk8.  Thirdly, I respect your opinions - you are not afraid to call out faults, nor go OTT for the latest shiny, new-fangled gimmicks.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 03:25 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2021, 08:53 »

Power delivery: tbh I was really underwhelmed by it. It felt a little sluggish and not as agile and nimble as I remember my Mk7 or the various 7.5 gtis I’ve driven as being. Really not sure what was going on there.

Definitely doesn't sound like all the reviews I've watched as everyone seems to say how powerful it is and on par with the new R once on the move.

A 10 mins test drive I'd say is almost not worth it and probably worse than not driving it at all! I know the situation couldn't be helped but would have been better to leave it and go back when you can actually get a proper drive.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2021, 08:56 »

Power delivery: tbh I was really underwhelmed by it. It felt a little sluggish and not as agile and nimble as I remember my Mk7 or the various 7.5 gtis I’ve driven as being. Really not sure what was going on there.

Definitely doesn't sound like all the reviews I've watched as everyone seems to say how powerful it is and on par with the new R once on the move.

A 10 mins test drive I'd say is almost not worth it and probably worse than not driving it at all! I know the situation couldn't be helped but would have been better to leave it and go back when you can actually get a proper drive.

Yep I agree power is very good, pulls like a train and really couldn’t tell much difference to the R

MK7 GTi

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2021, 16:57 »

I have even noticed with my standard GTI that when In ESC sport it gives more than with traction control on, it feel more alive

Then well played  sir!

I’ll definitely go back for another test drive as I can’t really judge it in the time given. At the end of the day I love a gti so it’s probably what I’ll end up in. As I said earlier, I think the emergence of the Ed45 just pushed my test drive forward, otherwise I would have waited another year. Although I also factored in the long lead times too which don’t bother me this time as I’m in no hurry.

I forgot to mention the seats. Wow! The fabric is absolutely lovely (well the honeycomb bit anyway) and they’re exceptionally comfy. Steering wheel also felt great and I really liked the haptic buttons. My comment on the infotainment was really reserved for the sliders which didn’t work at all. It’ll just take time to acclimatise yourself to the rest.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2021, 16:59 »

Perhaps it is just me, but I found your musings highly valuable.  Firstly, from your previous posts I've gleaned that  we're very much on the same page in terms of likes/dislikes. Secondly, you have a lot of experience with the 7/7.5 GTIs to draw upon in your comparative assessment of the mk8.  Thirdly, I respect your opinions - you are not afraid to call out faults, nor go OTT for the latest shiny, new-fangled gimmicks.

I dread to think how much that experience of ownership has cost me in pounds, shillings and pence.  :grin:
Still, it’s been my own money and therefore I’ll not hold back on my own thoughts be they good or bad.

Touching on the engine power thing. Maybe the cars run on slightly reduced power until they’re run in? My BMW definitely did.

I can confirm as a previous owner of remapped GTI’s the Clubsport can accelerate very rapidly as well as corner inspiringly.
The one thing it does do, unlike I’d imagine a Golf R, is move around a little under hard acceleration and cornering. Just enough to remind you that you’re not immortal but still giving you total faith in the chassis.
Maybe with ESP turned off for the driving gods amongst us it’ll get even more squirmy (an apt phrase borrowed from a review I watched) under power through bends.
One thing the 4WD über hatches do is remove the driver from the laws of physics which means by the time the tyres actually do let go you’re probably/possibly beyond recovering it unless very skilled/experienced.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2021, 15:56 »
Clubsport test drive again today. Proper one this time.
The car didn’t have DCC which was a shame but again the ride was excellent. Better than the R on 19s and passive dampers.
Interior quality is NO different to the Mk7.5 imo. I really liked it. Infotainment was just brilliant. Worked really well and I loved the sliders etc. Very very good indeed (when it works I suppose).
Colour was great. White really suits it. Wheels…meh. Much discussed.
Exhaust note was muted but car had hardly any miles on and the last one I drove sounded much better. They age like a fine wine I think.
Loved the way the car moved around. Very light on its feet. Did a bit of motorway, town and B road driving. Very impressive.
Still maintain that is just doesn’t feel as quick as the R. Know that sounds odd. Just not got that initial shove. But it has those three magic letters so don’t care too much. Would I change from mine to a regular CS? Unsure. If it had DCC maybe.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2021, 22:32 »
That sounds a bit more of a positive experience Michele.

The infotainment and heating controls literally take no time at all to get used to. The one irk is that they’re not illuminated but I reckon that’ll be changed very soon.
My dash pod is rattling like a bastard lately which is driving me nuts but aside from that (touch wood) everything seems well enough screwed together.
The interior is definitely a step down but you soon take no notice of it. There are pro’s and cons.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner