Author Topic: Mk2 Jetta G60  (Read 74944 times)

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 Jetta Gti - G60 Conversion in progress :)
« Reply #170 on: 24 November 2011, 01:28 »
If you're mate doesn't sort it I'll send my mate Robert recorded delivery if you cover postage?
He just has to be in the presence of broken electrics and they mysteriously start working again.

fingers crossed it's the simple "is this plug not supposed to be connected?".

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #171 on: 13 December 2011, 21:51 »
It been a while since i last read this, looks like you've been busy....

hope you get it sorted mate, such a bummer after all that hard work!

The engine looks like a piece of art!!

Whats the advantage of welding the wishbones?
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #172 on: 14 December 2011, 00:56 »
Cheers bud, unfortunately no one seems to be able to figure it out. Think I'm gonna get hold of another G60 loom and see if it'll start then, but I've bought a mk3 abf so busy doing a few jobs on that, hopefully get back to the Jetta after Christmas.

Welded wishbones are meant to stiffen up the front end some more, though most people only stich weld them. I'm yet to experience them of course :(

Offline stow1985

• I live here
« Reply #173 on: 14 December 2011, 15:31 »
Cheers bud, unfortunately no one seems to be able to figure it out. Think I'm gonna get hold of another G60 loom and see if it'll start then, but I've bought a mk3 abf so busy doing a few jobs on that, hopefully get back to the Jetta after Christmas.

Welded wishbones are meant to stiffen up the front end some more, though most people only stich weld them. I'm yet to experience them of course :(

will there be a thread for this??

worth doing to a daily road car?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #174 on: 14 December 2011, 16:41 »

will there be a thread for this??

worth doing to a daily road car?

Nah, it's just a bog standard mk3 that I'm using over winter, all I've done is give it a clean and service so not interesting enough for a build thread.

My wording was crap re welding the wishbones, it stiffens up the wishbones to reduce flex with potential handling benefits .. is it worth it? dunno, most people say they don't notice the difference and for a daily it removes the sacrificial nature of the wishbones were you to bump a kerb or something. I'm planning on getting the jetta on a track and I have a welder hence why I did it :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #175 on: 14 December 2011, 16:44 »

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #176 on: 14 December 2011, 20:29 »
Just looking back through this thread then saw a shot of the bay, then a few shots later the white wheels and though - it cant be. Low and behold I get to the first page and it is who I thought it was, bloody rapid progress dude!!  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #177 on: 14 December 2011, 20:34 »
My wording was crap re welding the wishbones, it stiffens up the wishbones to reduce flex with potential handling benefits .. is it worth it? dunno,

When I stitched the control arms on my Syncro and bushed them with TT bushes it made a BIG difference to the handling of the car.  It takes a lot of slack out of the steering and makes it way more 'pointy'. 

Cracking job on this so far, although I'd be concerned about what the 020 box will say to the torque from the G60. 

I'm also concerned about the heat disipation effect of painting virtually all of the engine and gearbox, too.

Have to see if it gets the ar$e with you when you get it running, I guess!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #178 on: 15 December 2011, 00:47 »
Cheers for the comments :) Sam, nice to hear someone thinks this conversion is being done quickly, feels like I've been doing it all my life now  :laugh:

DH; That's good to know about the wishbones, looking forward to driving it even more now. The 020 'box has taken stick from that very engine in another car so has held up quite well, but time will tell. As for heat dissipation, you've probably got a fair point and got to admit it never really crossed my mind. However, all the paint will probably fall off after a few weeks of running anyway :grin:

Offline stow1985

• I live here
« Reply #179 on: 16 December 2011, 21:21 »
Suppose il have to get it done some point in the new year to find out  :rolleyes: