Author Topic: Mk2 Jetta G60  (Read 75845 times)

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: Mk2 Jetta Gti - G60 Conversion .. on the road!
« Reply #220 on: 21 April 2012, 20:02 »
Cheers mate, definitely enjoying it, took it to Blyton Park track today and managed to put in plenty of laps despite the weather. Lots of comments along the lines of, 'I was not expecting to be overtaken by a Jetta today' and 'what the hell is under the bonnet of that' :laugh:

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #221 on: 25 April 2012, 00:50 »
Chasing down my mate in his Westie (successfully I might add 8) )

What the mfa will read if you have a gentle right foot :shocked:

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #222 on: 25 April 2012, 19:30 »
Looks like the Westfield running scared :O

are you sure that MFA isn't broken  :grin:
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline mk2 helper

• Here all the time
« Reply #223 on: 26 April 2012, 08:37 »
looking at the rpms next to that mfa reading are letting off the throttle to show more mpgs  :laugh:

and looks good on the track showing people what a real car looks and drives like  :grin:

if in doubt go flat out

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #224 on: 26 April 2012, 11:16 »
I took the photo whilst sat at some traffic lights :tongue:

It's a load of rubbish I know (standard MFA readings), but I think I've been getting low 30s out of it so very happy with that :)

It's good fun out on the track, but I think I might buy a cheap 3door golf and rag that round instead.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #225 on: 20 May 2012, 23:44 »
Update :) Car is running pretty well at the moment, though had to change the brakes all round as rear bearings were grumbling and I was getting some horrible vibrations through the steering wheel when braking from speed. Also gave it an oil change. Fuel economy is terrible (as expected), but it's good fun to drive and surprises quite a few cars. Had a 40mph 3rd gear rolling sprint with my mate in his Leon 20vt few weeks ago and he was very upset that I virtually left him for dead :laugh:

Had a minor breakdown on Friday too, one of the boost pipes came disconnected whilst on the motorway, but managed to get it a few miles to the services and luckily there was an rac van there sorting someone else so I was able to borrow a 7mm socket and reconnect it all :)

Oh, fitted recaro front seats too, but not got any pics.

Some new parts (ok, the front brakes are second hand, but were cheap);

Rears;

Big improvement :grin:

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #226 on: 12 November 2012, 15:32 »
Started sorting my mismatched interior - managed to get hold of a Jetta recaro rear bench;

Out with the old;

In with the new :grin:

Fronts;

Cleaned it , though it's now filthy again :laugh:

Just need doorcards and rear electric window loom now.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2015, 09:57 by Simeon »

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: Mk2 Jetta Gti - G60 Conversion .. on the road! ...still! :o
« Reply #227 on: 12 November 2012, 18:15 »
Looking great man!

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #228 on: 13 November 2012, 17:30 »
Cheers. So much I'd like to do to it, but severely lacking in time and money at the moment :(

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #229 on: 27 April 2013, 00:06 »
Shockingly, an update  :tongue:

Its been a bit unloved over the winter, engine bay is looking worse for wear to be honest (looking back at the time spent on it makes you realise why people trailer their show cars around!). Particularly irritating was the sticky rear calipers (couldn't use the handbrake) and squeeking front brakes. Decided to take it off the road for a couple of weeks while I did a few jobs, namely rebuilding the 'charger, fitting new intercooler and radiator, rebuilding rear calipers and replacing front brakes...

Now, the rear calipers were 'problem free' Mk4 items, but I had some Mk3 ones that were in ok condition, so stripped them down, got some new seals of Biggred, painted them up and put them on with some new pads;

Old;

New;

I'm running S2 twin pot (Girling G60) calipers, which when used with 280mm discs results in the pads sweeping close to the hub and creating a lip on the pads. After having a look at what others had done to solve this I ordered some *cough* vauxhall *cough* 280mm discs. These are vented differently so have a 'full face' as it were, eliminating the uneven wear. They are also 25mm thick (same as stock S2) as opposed to 22mm, but do require the centre bore opening up a little (5quid at local engineering shop). Bought some new Pagid pads too.

As usual, a quick job became anything but .. on both sides the 40mm piston was leaking fluid into the dust boot, so ordered new inner seals and pistons off biggred (good service and helpful on the phone, highly recommended). Anyway, got there in the end;

Old;

New;

Sooooo, onto the 'charger rebuild, lots of pics;

Stripped all the paint off;

Some light porting;

Bearing out and exhaust half cleaned;

Inlet half cleaned up with bearing removed;

Painted silver;

Scroll bearing out and cleaned up;

New bearings going back in (oven mit because it had just been cooking  :tongue: )

Seals going in;

Shaft in;

Going back together;

Almost done :)

With 'charger rebuilt, it was time to refit with new intercooler/radiator and u-bend. I'll let the pics do the talking;

Hello massive Wagner intercooler  :cool:

This is how much you have to chop out of a mk2 to fit the rallye 'cooler;

Charger and u-bend fitted;

Nearly there;

All in, with factory Rallye boost pipes too;

:grin: :cool:

Drove it about 20 miles and it broke down  :angry: Alternator had packed up so battery died :rolleyes: Luckily I had another alternator in the garage, so got dad to bring me a battery and soon had it back up and running :)

340 miles into the run-in, can't wait to boot it..