Author Topic: MK1 Rewire Help  (Read 17550 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
pop the fuel pump relay out, and run a chunky wire between the 2 large sockets, the pump should then run. if it does, you know the issue is the relay, or the wiring for it.  what relay is it by the way?
Yeah thats how i got it running before the rewire when i had to bypass the alarm system.... The point of the rewire is to have it all running normally again but yeah, good point to do this again to see where the fault may lie...  At work at the moment so not sure what answer you're looking for with the relay.  its relay 2 but funny you ask as its the one that came with my replacement fusebox?  could it be different?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
its possible aye, does it have a number on the front or a part number?  gsf sell the relay you need:
935VG0090 k-jet relay without limiter £ 23.20
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
i have two relays, one in each fusebox, original and replacement.. the old relay was fine.  it didnt work because the looms were fooked after engine was put back in. i'll make sure both the relays are the same and correct... chances of them both being dud are slim... I think there's something wrong with the wiring... I'll do what kraM said and make sure everything is connected OK and also try shorting the Pump relay points to rule out faulty relay.... PS relay without limiter??.. what would have been limited?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
didnt you have ceramic fusebox before? if so I dont think the pinout is the same?

rev limiter :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
I have replaced like for like?..... its an 83 Campaign with type 2 fusebox? whats the pinout?.... sorry question after question now, its that crucial point in the rewire though... making stuff work...

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
ah ok then it should swap over. pinout is as follows:

1 - earth
2 - live
3 - output to fuel pump
4 - ignition live
5 - rev counter signal

theres a piccy in my fusebox faq showing the pin numbers of the socket, but it should be written on your fusebox anyway

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
cool.... i'll have a very close inspection of this area then... i'm still wondering if its got anything to do with spare wires behind the fusebox..... as soon as i get home i'll do some tracing... I have tested igntion electrics and everything seems to be fine first time, coil power etc.. fingers crossed i get to the bottom of it asap!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!  :shocked:

The stoooopid thing is i dont even know what was up exactly!  I pulled everything back out of the fuse box and plumbed it all into the original (which is identical). turned the key, still no prime but i noticed when cranking the fuel pump was running?? i kept lettting her crank to get the fuel pressure up (as i had dismantled the system so would have been empty) and low and behold she fired up with no fuss.  I then found the relay which was originally on the car (which isnt a vw item) and this time she primed properly and started perfectly....

Thanks guys for your help so far and RJ you're a legend and you know it. 

I still have a way to go though, i want to see if swapping fuse boxes was a fluke, i think there was just a few crap connections as suggested by kraM. so i want to try with new box as its better condition.  funny how the pump relay from the replacement fusebox didnt prime but again could have been a bad connection at the time.

I have quite a few other things to tackle now, i know the cold start valve isnt connected and has nowhere to go yet which is odd, and obvioulsy i have nothing else wired in yet.

thanks again everybody.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 21:09 by SoundillusioN »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
forgot to mention, not all the k-jet relays will prime the pump, as long as it only brings on the pump when the engine is cranking/running its all good :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Its what i'm used to.  :smiley: it wasn't doing anything to start with but a combination of fiddling got her going!  it now primes with igntion on so well happy, when i get home i can move on to the rest of it... watch this space......  please.... lol  :grin: