Author Topic: Soundaktor  (Read 1690 times)

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
Soundaktor
« on: 11 September 2023, 16:48 »
I had my car booked in to a place locally today to get the soundaktor turned off. I stupidly did not ask the cost when booking.  Rocked up and was told £100 plus vat, so I thanked them and left.

So, still wanting the dreaded drone turned off, I’ve been looking at buying an OBDeleven.  However, I’m not sure which one.  I’m not likely to do anything more than using the apps, not brave enough to try any coding.  Would the basic version available on Amazon - currently £69.99 - do the job.  I’ll obviously have to shell out for credits above that.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
Re: Soundaktor
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2023, 18:04 »
Yeah the NextGenv2 for 69.99 will do it, as you say you'll need to purchase credits though to use the one click apps which asl o lets you do SFD unlocks automatically for protected modules.
Just keep in mind that without the PRO pack you won't be able to do manaual coding or adaptions yourself, especially manaul SFD unlocks (think of this as manually changing what the apps do automatically but without a cost), so only diagnostics and one click apps (with SFD), you can always add the pro/unlimited pack later direct from obd11 for £42/£120 respectively.
'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2023, 22:07 »
Individual mode, engine sound eco?

Free?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2023, 22:33 »

Free?

That’s what I’ve done in my Polo GTI+ (did it on day one of ownership). Although in my car, in ‘eco’ the soundaktor isn’t completely switched off (maybe it is in the mk8 Golf?), it’s totally unobtrusive and as you’ve said it’s free.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2023, 07:24 »
Yeah the NextGenv2 for 69.99 will do it, as you say you'll need to purchase credits though to use the one click apps which asl o lets you do SFD unlocks automatically for protected modules.
Just keep in mind that without the PRO pack you won't be able to do manaual coding or adaptions yourself, especially manaul SFD unlocks (think of this as manually changing what the apps do automatically but without a cost), so only diagnostics and one click apps (with SFD), you can always add the pro/unlimited pack later direct from obd11 for £42/£120 respectively.

Thanks for this.  I’ll order from Amazon and make the change at the weekend.

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2023, 07:29 »

Free?

Tried this, but I can’t live with the constant drone I’m afraid.  I also tried and failed to live with the sound on my MK7 GTD, but on that I just disconnected and removed the soundaktor unit - and as far as I know you can’t do that on a MK8 GTI.

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2023, 12:01 »
Are you sure there isn't anything wrong with the exhaust? Mine doesn't drone at all?
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2023, 14:29 »
Had a test drive in a Mk 8 GTI a good while ago. I could hear a drone as well and changing modes seemed to have no effect. That (along with the ride) was enough to put me off buying one. 

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2023, 14:48 »
Are you sure there isn't anything wrong with the exhaust? Mine doesn't drone at all?

Perhaps drone was the wrong word.  I just meant the pseudo ‘sports noise’ VW seem to like pounding our ears with.  Doesn’t matter if I’m in sports or eco mode, it just annoys me.  OBDEleven ordered for delivery tomorrow 👍

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2023, 16:41 »

Perhaps drone was the wrong word.  I just meant the pseudo ‘sports noise’ VW seem to like pounding our ears with.  Doesn’t matter if I’m in sports or eco mode, it just annoys me.  OBDEleven ordered for delivery tomorrow 👍

Don't take this the wrong way but why by a 'sporty car' then? Surely that's an expected biproduct of a 'sporty car', the noise?
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order