Author Topic: STEERING RACK ISSUE  (Read 65559 times)

Offline lowdown

• GTI forum regular
Re: STEERING RACK ISSUE
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2006, 19:14 »
I didn't notice any other rattles. 

Please draw my attention to other extraneous noise sources.

Offline joffangti

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2006, 02:09 »
I'll be interested to see what happens with the steering rack problem as I have it too in my 05 car.
My dealer says he knows nothing of this problem?!! :sad:
05 3 dr Golf Mk 5 GTI,Tornado Red.

Offline chopper gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2006, 13:41 »
first off i have the steering rack issue on my mk5 gti and mine was built in March 2004, i will mention it when it goes in next week, long story but i reversed it into the garage with the tailgate up, so its probably the first GTI in the world to have to have a new one fitted!

dealer has never mentioned any other recall items for which i understand there are a few of now...

secondly -  first service at 14,000 miles seams a bit early i understand they can go to 20,000 before needing one?

Offline chopper gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2006, 13:42 »
first off i have the steering rack issue on my mk5 gti and mine was built in March 2004, i will mention it when it goes in next week, long story but i reversed it into the garage with the tailgate up, so its probably the first GTI in the world to have to have a new one fitted!

dealer has never mentioned any other recall items for which i understand there are a few of now...

secondly -  first service at 14,000 miles seams a bit early i understand they can go to 20,000 before needing one?

Offline chopper gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2006, 13:14 »
just come back from my local dealer apparently its not just Golfs with the rack problem, and the mechanic i spoke to said as yet there is no fix....

Offline EdMass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2006, 17:24 »
I take delivery of my MK5 GTI DSG from 01/03/06. I ordered the vehicle last September & the vehicle was built & delivered to the dealership last December (Sitting in a compound).

Having read the issues with the steering rack, I am now concerned that my vehicle will also have the same problem. It appears the rack has been changed from January this year & this will solve the problem. However, my vehicle will fall into the category of the old style steering rack.

I am unsure whether to refuse the vehicle & insist the rack is updated or do I take delivery & hope the problem does not effect my vehicle? It appears you cannot refuse the vehicle for issues with the steering rack.  I do not want these issues with a car that will cost £26K.

I currently own a MK4 4-Motion which will be 3 years old in July. I have no problems with this vehicle & wonder what I might be getting myself into!

Any thoughts with my dilemma?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2006, 19:31 »
if it does have the problem, demand they fix it under warranty. if they play dumb then approach VWHQ, they dont take kindly to unhelpful dealerships.

Offline EdMass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2006, 17:03 »
Hi Topher.

I have today contacted VOW UK with my concerns & they have advised that they now have a fix for the steering rack. Within the next few weeks around 400 steering racks will be distributed throughout the UK for affected MK5S (The chap advised the issue is also effecting the Passat).

Because the fault may occur at anytime, VOW UK cannot guarantee my vehicle will be affected or not. However, should the fault occur the problem will be resolved.

I have contacted my dealer & they have advised that they will ensure the steering rack is checked & if any sign of any problems, they will sort the issue before I take delivery.

Although this is not an ideal situation for anyone, I cannot complain with the responses provided by both VOW UK & the dealer.

Cannot wait until 01/03/06!!!  :smiley:

Offline VWmaindealer

• GTI forum regular
  • What do you think it's worth?
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2006, 22:19 »
EdMass,

You're right, the issue does also affect the new Passat. And the Golf Plus and a few Tourans in my experience. It's interesting that thy've committed to 400 racks. So each dealer in the UK gets a couple if they're lucky!. I work for a dealer (not going to say who) and about half of my demonstrators are affected, the last three Passsats i've had, two of our loan cars and a handful of customers cars all have the left lock creak!

They are going to need more than 400! :shocked:

Nice to hear that you're getting good service from VW and your dealer tho!

VWmd
What's your best price for cash?

Offline brensgti

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2006, 20:42 »
Hi,

just spoke to a friend of mine who has a octavia vrs and he's got the same problem. so obviously  the whole VAG
range is affected . ah well hopefully just 6 weeks till i collect my gti and squeek or no squeek I'am going to enjoy
every minute of it

regards brendanjavascript:void(0);
evil