Author Topic: Feeling a little left behind.....  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Feeling a little left behind.....
« on: 21 June 2021, 13:55 »
OK this is very tongue in cheek but with slight overtones of truth attached. As many of you know I have a May 2018 MK7.5 GTI (non PP model), with a long list of options (see Sig below). I got wowed by the sales patter from my local dealer earlier this year to change out of the GTI to a Tiguan R-Line, and to be honest, that order has been an unmitigated disaster, so much so that the Tiguan order was cancelled.

This left me in a bit of a dilemma. Do I just keep the GTI and run it for another few years (at 3 years old and just 17k miles, it's hardly "old"), or do I trade it in for something different. To be honest, I'm wondering if I have dodged a bullet with the Tiguan, as just like the MK8's it seems the facelift Tiguan's are currently having their own fair share of technical and software gremlins. Also, I've just finished checking my mileage, and in the last year (since June 2020) I've done the grand total of 3,000 miles. Whilst I can see that creeping back up (to my usual circa 7-8k miles per year), whenever this bloody pandemic ends and I go back to working from the office (at least a few days a week) rather than at home as I have been all this year, I still in 2 years time will only have around 30-32k miles on the GTI.

So when I have my sensible head on, it's telling me to forget about a new car, the GTI is totally paid for and is still a damn fine car in it's own right, with plenty of toys to keep me happy. But then the Devil on my other shoulder is telling me I should change as I'm being left behind and I can afford something much newer with more shiny toys and the part ex prices I've been offered on the car (as I have been looking at some new motors) is very surprising and very tempting.

When I say left behind, what I mean is that a lot of the virtual friends I made on this very forum have either moved on to different brands or now have a MK8, whereas I'm still on my MK7.5. Another factor is that my Facebook feed seems to be filled with endless posts of young guys modding their GTI's and R's and talking about slamming them, bigger turbos, remapping etc, and I'm starting to wonder if the MK7 (7.5) has now become the Astra's and Nova's of years gone by and are now cheap enough to be bought by the Max Power brigade (for anyone that's old enough to remember), and at my age, that's not really a demographic I really want to be part of.

As I say, this is all a bit tongue in cheek, but I was wondering if anyone else had the 2 voices in each ear too  :grin: It's not really about the money as like I say the GTI is paid for, and I'm in a well paid job with no mortgage, no kids, don't smoke or drink, so cars' (and Photography) are really my only 2 vices, so could afford something newer.

Decisions, decisions.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Feeling a little left behind.....
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2021, 14:46 »
OK this is very tongue in cheek but with slight overtones of truth attached. As many of you know I have a May 2018 MK7.5 GTI (non PP model), with a long list of options (see Sig below). I got wowed by the sales patter from my local dealer earlier this year to change out of the GTI to a Tiguan R-Line, and to be honest, that order has been an unmitigated disaster, so much so that the Tiguan order was cancelled.

This left me in a bit of a dilemma. Do I just keep the GTI and run it for another few years (at 3 years old and just 17k miles, it's hardly "old"), or do I trade it in for something different. To be honest, I'm wondering if I have dodged a bullet with the Tiguan, as just like the MK8's it seems the facelift Tiguan's are currently having their own fair share of technical and software gremlins. Also, I've just finished checking my mileage, and in the last year (since June 2020) I've done the grand total of 3,000 miles. Whilst I can see that creeping back up (to my usual circa 7-8k miles per year), whenever this bloody pandemic ends and I go back to working from the office (at least a few days a week) rather than at home as I have been all this year, I still in 2 years time will only have around 30-32k miles on the GTI.

So when I have my sensible head on, it's telling me to forget about a new car, the GTI is totally paid for and is still a damn fine car in it's own right, with plenty of toys to keep me happy. But then the Devil on my other shoulder is telling me I should change as I'm being left behind and I can afford something much newer with more shiny toys and the part ex prices I've been offered on the car (as I have been looking at some new motors) is very surprising and very tempting.

When I say left behind, what I mean is that a lot of the virtual friends I made on this very forum have either moved on to different brands or now have a MK8, whereas I'm still on my MK7.5. Another factor is that my Facebook feed seems to be filled with endless posts of young guys modding their GTI's and R's and talking about slamming them, bigger turbos, remapping etc, and I'm starting to wonder if the MK7 (7.5) has now become the Astra's and Nova's of years gone by and are now cheap enough to be bought by the Max Power brigade (for anyone that's old enough to remember), and at my age, that's not really a demographic I really want to be part of.

As I say, this is all a bit tongue in cheek, but I was wondering if anyone else had the 2 voices in each ear too  :grin: It's not really about the money as like I say the GTI is paid for, and I'm in a well paid job with no mortgage, no kids, don't smoke or drink, so cars' (and Photography) are really my only 2 vices, so could afford something newer.

Decisions, decisions.

I have a year left on my PCP, and I've thought about changing - but i don't know what I'd change to. While the GTI isn't the fastest, it's easy to remap and has a lot of goodies as standard that other cars don't have. It's hard to find a car that is simultaneously a) different enough to be worth changing for and b) doesn't compromise in some way with regards to the GTI's brilliant "do-it-all" nature. It's a hard decision, but don't underestimate the fact that yours is owned outright. That's a great position to be in, and if I owned mine outright, I'd just focus on making subtle mods to tweak it just how I wanted.

If you try to keep up with others wrt to most things, cars being an obvious example, you'll be forever chopping and changing to great financial hit

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2021, 15:20 »
17k miles - it’s barely run in.

You’ve got a car that’s specc’d as you want it, and if you did decide to change, then I dare say that whatever you bought as a replacement would be a factory order, specc’d to your requirements. With the current worldwide shortage of computer chips affecting pretty much all of the motor industry, (including VW), many manufacturers are currently being forced to cut production, temporarily shut down production lines or move to reduced working hours. That’ll have the effect of increasing lead times, so you’d probably be facing a long wait for a new car to be built - I’ve read of 8 months lead times on a new mk8 Golf R on vwroc.com forum very recently.

If you are intent on changing for something else and you’re not fussy about colour or spec, then you might be able to find an in-stock car and be able to take advantage of the current inflated values of good, late date, in demand low mileage cars like yours (IMHO you’d have no problems selling your car). However, dealership stocks are likely to be low or reducing because of the worldwide chip shortage problem, so finding an in-stock vehicle with a spec you’d be happy with might be difficult. Also if dealership stocks are low because of enforced cut backs in new car production, they may not be particularly willing to discount prices on in-stock cars.

It wouldn’t bother me that some ex mk7 / mk7.5 owners on the forum have moved on, or that mk7 / mk7.5 ownership is now within reach of younger owners who may modify them heavily. Modifying will always happen as a particular model of a car becomes affordable to those whose finances wouldn’t previously stretch to owning one.

In your position, I’d keep the Golf. In the short term with used prices continuing to increase, it’s currently an appreciating asset, and when the bubble bursts on used car values and they normalise again, the depreciation on your car will be pretty low.

Outright ownership of an immaculate highly specc’d car with low depreciation is an enviable position to be in that some can only dream of :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2021, 15:27 »
It's not really about the money as like I say the GTI is paid for, and I'm in a well paid job with no mortgage, no kids, don't smoke or drink, so cars' (and Photography) are really my only 2 vices, so could afford something newer.

In that position why not go for an M3/GT3/RS3/4/6 etc.... each to their own, but a Tiguan R line doesn't show that much imagination for someone who considers cars a vice? :)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2021, 15:33 »
It's not really about the money as like I say the GTI is paid for, and I'm in a well paid job with no mortgage, no kids, don't smoke or drink, so cars' (and Photography) are really my only 2 vices, so could afford something newer.

In that position why not go for an M3/GT3/RS3/4/6 etc.... each to their own, but a Tiguan R line doesn't show that much imagination for someone who considers cars a vice? :)

Clubsport, well a Vice to me doesn't mean blowing all my hard earned savings on a weekend special (as much as it sounds tempting), but rather being in a position to afford a brand new car every few years if I so want, and spec'd to my particular needs. As much as I might be able to afford some of the cars on your list, for me (probably because I can be stingy), it's about the nice balance of performance, looks and indeed running costs. Don't want something that's going to drink fuel, perhaps has horrendous servicing costs and is a bugger to tax each year.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2021, 15:34 »
17k miles - it’s barely run in.

You’ve got a car that’s specc’d as you want it, and if you did decide to change, then I dare say that whatever you bought as a replacement would be a factory order, specc’d to your requirements. With the current worldwide shortage of computer chips affecting pretty much all of the motor industry, (including VW), many manufacturers are currently being forced to cut production, temporarily shut down production lines or move to reduced working hours. That’ll have the effect of increasing lead times, so you’d probably be facing a long wait for a new car to be built - I’ve read of 8 months lead times on a new mk8 Golf R on vwroc.com forum very recently.

If you are intent on changing for something else and you’re not fussy about colour or spec, then you might be able to find an in-stock car and be able to take advantage of the current inflated values of good, late date, in demand low mileage cars like yours (IMHO you’d have no problems selling your car). However, dealership stocks are likely to be low or reducing because of the worldwide chip shortage problem, so finding an in-stock vehicle with a spec you’d be happy with might be difficult. Also if dealership stocks are low because of enforced cut backs in new car production, they may not be particularly willing to discount prices on in-stock cars.

It wouldn’t bother me that some ex mk7 / mk7.5 owners on the forum have moved on, or that mk7 / mk7.5 ownership is now within reach of younger owners who may modify them heavily. Modifying will always happen as a particular model of a car becomes affordable to those whose finances wouldn’t previously stretch to owning one.

In your position, I’d keep the Golf. In the short term with used prices continuing to increase, it’s currently an appreciating asset, and when the bubble bursts on used car values and they normalise again, the depreciation on your car will be pretty low.

Outright ownership of an immaculate highly specc’d car with low depreciation is an enviable position to be in that some can only dream of :) .

SRGTD, a lot of good sensible sentiments there. Thanks.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2021, 15:46 »
SRGTD, a lot of good sensible sentiments there. Thanks.

You’re very welcome!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2021, 16:19 »
This is an interesting dilemma. Whilst not quite in the same position, my 7.5 GTi PP will come to the end of its 4 year PCP at the beginning of September and I'm contemplating what to do given long'ish factory build dates.

I am wondering if I should sell the Golf as soon as I've paid off the PCP to hopefully get a good price and then buy a runabout until the new car arrives (hopefully) for next March delivery. Or keep Golf until new car arrives.

Replacements being considered are Audi S4 Avant, SQ5 and BMW M340 (i or d) touring's. 
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2021, 18:34 »
Hi Sootchucker

I have the same two voices. Is now the right time to change? I have contributed today to the thread 'Selling up advice'. I own my car, a GTI non PP, 2018 which is three years old at the end of the month and has 11,149 miles. Given the current level of 2nd hand prices, I have decided to dip my toe in the water and see what it might fetch. Is it the right time for a MK8 GTI? I have been on the VW used approved and Autotrader sites and there a few GTIs advertised for around £30k, a couple of months old with a couple of thousand miles, historically, how I buy my cars. The ever present level of depreciation is in play. I have placed my car with Motorway to see what prices it might actually attract, as opposed to their forecast. If they're high enough I will be tempted and if not, my car is a good car and a keeper. If the forecast is accurate depreciation, for me, will equate to around £100 a month. More than acceptable to me. I'll see.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 21 June 2021, 18:37 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2021, 18:41 »
Yours is a great example. TBH I see no reason to change at that sort of age / condition / mileage with prices and lead times being as they are at the moment.

My GTD is 3.5 years old now. But it's got extended warranty and service plan and in many ways still feels like a new car.
7.5 GTD