Author Topic: MK7 Clubsport - Bonnet Pull Snapped  (Read 963 times)

Offline spdpug98

• Not said much yet
MK7 Clubsport - Bonnet Pull Snapped
« on: 21 June 2021, 10:37 »
I've done a quick search but not found anything, has anyone had their bonnet pull snap under the bonnet stopping you from being able to open it. Mine snapped yesterday as I was going to open it to clean underneath, I've heard horror stories of people cutting through the front grill to get to the fixings on the bonnet catch :shocked:

My car is still covered by the VW extended warranty and wondered if I'd have any chance with the them looking / sorting it out, I will be calling them but through I'd ask on here if anyone has had the same issue and if VW sorted it

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: MK7 Clubsport - Bonnet Pull Snapped
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2021, 10:54 »
Sorry, which part is broken? The bit on the front edge that you squeeze, or the bit inside the driver's door?

If it's the former, can't you use a screwdriver or something to lever the catch? I would've thought it was quite a straight forward mechanism. I may be wrong though

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2021, 11:02 »
If you've warranty, use it. No point trying to do it yourself to crack the grill or anything and then have to pay for it yourself!

It's a common fault the junction box on for the latch breaks open and disconnects itself. Once repaired put two cable ties on it to stop it from happening again.  :smiley:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline spdpug98

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2021, 11:04 »
Sorry, which part is broken? The bit on the front edge that you squeeze, or the bit inside the driver's door?

If it's the former, can't you use a screwdriver or something to lever the catch? I would've thought it was quite a straight forward mechanism. I may be wrong though

I think it's the piece above the headlight under the bonnet where the two cables join, the cable is still secured in the handle below the dash so assuming its the piece above the headlight

Offline spdpug98

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2021, 11:11 »
If you've warranty, use it. No point trying to do it yourself to crack the grill or anything and then have to pay for it yourself!

It's a common fault the junction box on for the latch breaks open and disconnects itself. Once repaired put two cable ties on it to stop it from happening again.  :smiley:

Thanks, Its booked in with them to have a look............I did tell them it appears to be the common fault that MK7's have.....lets see what they come up with