Author Topic: Do I need specific glass to replace the missing glass in my heated wing mirrors?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Does no one else leave the mirror adjuster in L for the reverse dipping?

Yes, I do. ‘L’ is my default position for the mirror adjuster. I only move it from ‘L’;
  • when I need to clear mist from the mirrors. When they’re clear (usually takes just a few seconds), I move it back to ‘L’.
  • to fold the mirrors in to make it easier to get into my garage. I move the adjuster straight back to ‘L’ as soon as I next reverse out of the garage.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
I suspect the issue may be the heating and freezing of the adhesive over time causing expansion and contraction.
7.5 GTD

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
I suspect the issue may be the heating and freezing of the adhesive over time causing expansion and contraction.

Yep this is exactly what I'd say too. Plus the fact that it's clearly not fixed on as strong as it should be from the factory if there are this many issues. And to settle the argument, mine just randomly fell off on a sunny day after the car was left sitting for a few weeks during the first lockdown, heating function wasn't on.

Not sure why people are even considering using glue, thats just mad!. What happens if the glass cracked and you needed to replace it? You'd rip the heating pad apart. If anything use an extremely thin layer of clear silicone as that can be removed.
Also if you use an adhesive backed mirror the area you're sticking it to should be cleaned and dried before applying

Offline willni

• I live here

Not sure why people are even considering using glue, thats just mad!. What happens if the glass cracked and you needed to replace it? You'd rip the heating pad apart. If anything use an extremely thin layer of clear silicone as that can be removed.
Also if you use an adhesive backed mirror the area you're sticking it to should be cleaned and dried before applying

I think you're a little bit confused on the part. The entire glass, heating element, plastic fixture is a single unit which VW sell for around £35 (price could be different now, been 2 or 3 years since I needed one). So if you glue it back together, you're not damaging anything that's not already damaged.

Note - To remove the mirror glass it takes under a minute with a trim tool and a pair of pliers.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
Does no one else leave the mirror adjuster in L for the reverse dipping?

Yes, I do. ‘L’ is my default position for the mirror adjuster. I only move it from ‘L’;
  • when I need to clear mist from the mirrors. When they’re clear (usually takes just a few seconds), I move it back to ‘L’.
  • to fold the mirrors in to make it easier to get into my garage. I move the adjuster straight back to ‘L’ as soon as I next reverse out of the garage.

This pretty much what I do. Default is L as I prefer it to dip every time to ensure I don’t curb the alloys lol.

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Yeah I scrapped the glue, cleaned with an alcohol wipe, let it dry for a minute and then straight on with the sticky pad that came with the glass. Works perfectly, I didn't realise how hot the mirrors got until I tested it yesterday, when I compared it to the other side that has the genuine glass in it. Also, the new non OEM glass heats up just as much as the other side which is good news!

Yep this is exactly what I'd say too. Plus the fact that it's clearly not fixed on as strong as it should be from the factory if there are this many issues. And to settle the argument, mine just randomly fell off on a sunny day after the car was left sitting for a few weeks during the first lockdown, heating function wasn't on.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
I think you're a little bit confused on the part. The entire glass, heating element, plastic fixture is a single unit which VW sell for around £35 (price could be different now, been 2 or 3 years since I needed one). So if you glue it back together, you're not damaging anything that's not already damaged.

Note - To remove the mirror glass it takes under a minute with a trim tool and a pair of pliers.

I swear this thread just about the mirror glass alone and not the glass with the heating unit?

My mirror glass fell out and the heating part was still perfectly attached. The £60 quote I got from VW was for the glass alone. I bought replacement mirror glass from Ebay with an adhesive back and it stuck straight to the heating pad fine, I wouldn't dare put glue on that.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
Reading this thread and mine fell out today drivers side, I just stuck it back on with some 3 m double sided foam tape. I will get a replacement if it’s gets loose or falls out again
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints