Author Topic: greetings from germany  (Read 3836 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: greetings from germany
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2021, 11:13 »
Interesting!

I've never seen that VW site before.

You don't get to option a car, but I didn't this time either (mine is from dealer stock).

Surprised at how cheap the fully maintained is too.

Probably should have considered PCH, but it always seemed too difficult to achieve - cars are fleeting (no pun intended) targets appearing on random car leasing websites. Never felt confident about trying that when my new car needs to arrive in a predictable time.

I guess the only catch with PCH is that there is definitely zero equity at the end (although the deposits are lower vs monthly payments - but you don't get VW finance contribution.... swings and roundabouts I am sure) and also you definitely will be charged for excess mileage under all circumstances, meaning you need to either be quite accurate on your mileage or deliberarely choose under and be prepared to pay up. (I know a global pandemic wasn't terribly predictable but I'd have got screwed by that with PCH).

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2021, 12:31 »
Yes there are definitely some drawbacks, no denying that. You can get yourself in a right mess if you don't know what you're doing, or if you bite off more than you can chew with the payments.

Mileage allowance, always go for a realistic amount then take a bit off and factor in paying excess if the excess rate is reasonable. As you say, better to be paying for it at the end based on what you've actually used. Although it is sometimes possible to adjust the contract mileage mid-term if you have an unexpected major change of circumstances.

If your current lease is running out and your new lease still hasn't arrived, VWFS will allow you to extend your lease until the new car arrives, as long as both cars are supplied by them (i.e. VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda). It's more of an issue though if you're changing from one brand to another (i.e. moving from a VW to a BMW or vice versa).

The random car leasing websites that pop up more often than not are just brokers offering cheap headline monthly figures. They just arrange your lease with the finance company (which is often the manufacturer) in exchange for a fee. If you take the quote to a dealer they can sometimes match the broker quote without paying the arrangement fee.

Biggest drawbacks with leasing;-
  • if you need to hand the car back early in the lease this can be very expensive
  • there's no possibility of any equity at the end
  • you will pay for all optional extras in full, so keep them to a minimum
  • if you want to buy the car at the end of the lease this is not always possible
  • you WILL be billed at the end of the lease for damage beyond reasonable wear and tear
  • it's not your car, so think carefully before modifying it
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2021, 13:24 »
On that last point.... I was reading BMW can get sh1tty about mods to cars even on PCP - anything the dealer can detect, including software ones like putting the M sport logo on the screen at startup if that's not how your car was configured.

When I say getting sh1tty - I mean "put it back or we will repossess the car"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2021, 13:50 »
I've never had a PCP so I'm not fully familiar with the full terms of what you can and cannot do, but ultimately a PCP and PCH are both contracts. Best thing to do is read them before you sign up, or at the very least before you hand it back.
7.5 GTD

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2021, 20:10 »
Interesting!

I've never seen that VW site before.

You don't get to option a car, but I didn't this time either (mine is from dealer stock).

Surprised at how cheap the fully maintained is too.

Probably should have considered PCH, but it always seemed too difficult to achieve - cars are fleeting (no pun intended) targets appearing on random car leasing websites. Never felt confident about trying that when my new car needs to arrive in a predictable time.

I guess the only catch with PCH is that there is definitely zero equity at the end (although the deposits are lower vs monthly payments - but you don't get VW finance contribution.... swings and roundabouts I am sure) and also you definitely will be charged for excess mileage under all circumstances, meaning you need to either be quite accurate on your mileage or deliberarely choose under and be prepared to pay up. (I know a global pandemic wasn't terribly predictable but I'd have got screwed by that with PCH).

The offer also includes Belmont winter wheels. I also opted for a service package for extra €10 monthly for inspection/ service. Extra kilometers cost 7.79cent so extra 10000 kilometers cost only €797.
If you happen to do less than your contracted kilometers your get refunded but at a lower rate of 3.21 cent
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2021, 22:05 »
If you happen to do less than your contracted kilometers your get refunded but at a lower rate of 3.21 cent

Wow, that's good  :shocked:

Doesn't happen like that here, you get nothing back if you're under your contract mileage.  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2021, 22:48 »
All very different!

Interesting to hear about.

Do most people lease like that?

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2021, 23:26 »
Most Germans like to configure what they want so the leasing price goes up. In order to get a decent price one most take a preconfigured car. Winter wheels are always an option but in my case it was already tight to the deal so I couldn’t opted out.

The service pack is always an option but during the promotion it was cheaper.

Regarding the extra kilometers charges, the cost varies according to the car model but all brands give you money back if you drive less kilometers than the contracted kilometers but at a lower rate to when you drive more.

In general most Germans buy a car and use it for 5 to 7years before buying another one but leasing is now on the rise in Germany.

There is now a well established website called www.leasingmarkt.de where one can compare leasing price from various brands and dealers.

www.sixt-neuwagen.de used to be the major leasing vendor for many years but not anymore.

This is my forth leased car between me and my wife since 2015.
I like leasing because I know the exact money I will be paying for the specific period am using the car. so, no worries about the residual value at the end.

My current lease contract with my 1.5 131ps seat Leon is supposed to end in December 2021 but I decided to return it earlier as it’s no fun and too slow. although, I have to pay off the remaining monthly lease payment but I don’t mind I am happy to move on  :grin:

There is a Portal for lease transfer in Germany but I have to pay VW finance €500 for cost of transfer but I rather not bother with the paper work.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 23:33 by bjbanny »
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2021, 18:13 »
It's fascinating to see how it's different. I somehow imagined it would be the same across Europe but its not.

USA is weird but you know...

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2021, 13:54 »
 :cool: I finally picked up my GTI yesterday in Autostadt VW factory after a very long wait.
Car was order on 29.09.2020 but was only ready for handover from 4.2.2021 but I postponed my pick up as I don’t want to immediately change the tires to winter tires due to German regulations.

My GTi came with Goodyear eagle super sport  F1 tires no previous experience with this tires I was expecting Michelin Pilot Sport or Bridgestone 005

Can anyone tell me how to know when the car was manufactured

Software was very fast and I was able to login as main user immediately at the Autostadt

« Last Edit: 25 April 2021, 13:59 by bjbanny »
ordered on 30/09/2020